Unfounded British "rage" against Americans and Jews

This sounds like it could have been out of one of the exchanges that we have online here. Notice the highlighted sections… Read more in the article listed at the bottom…

So, what does this all mean in the scheme of things? I have lived in Europe for all of my adult life and from the day I arrived as a youngster have been aware of an oft-blatant anti-Semitism and resentment of Americans amongst colleagues, teachers, social circle and neighbors. What is significant about this rage is that it emanates not from the great unwashed but from the educated and intellectual classes. We all know about the academic boycotts of Israeli scholars. We all know about poor Philip Lader, former US Ambassador to the Court of St James who was reduced to tears on BBC

Very interesting article. Revealing the emotions expressed to this person in England.
Gives background to some of the rather unseemly dialogue ejaculated onto the board by some of the “…educated class…” from Britain and beyond here in Taiwan.
Never mind the fact that the Islamofacists are a real and present danger in Finsbury and a few other spots in England.

very ‘interesting’ article. There seems to be an awful lot that happens tp this woman. she does seem to attract a lot of shit. Now she may well be telling the truth, but I’m a bit dubious. I knew a few Americans back in the UK and never heard of this type of thing happening. Now I may have not been back for a few months, but the last time I was on a bus in London I sure don’t remember random yanks being verbally assaulted etc.

And then there is that bit about getting a tape made…What’s that I can smell… is it… yes i think it is… in fact I’m sure…it’s bullshit.

Fuck it, I’m going to go out on a limb. I think the author is a paranoid dillustionist who probably met dangermouse on the internet and had such an adverse reaction that she started immagining whole episodes of unadulterated anti-americanism in her real life. Still if you want to believe what she claims…

I would suggest however that perhaps you try to ask a few Americans that live in the UK and see what they say. Maybe they experience the same thing. If so I will retract my theory. However this sounds like that article about plane security that was doing the rounds a while back. :laughing:

ps I wonder if any poor Canadians have been mistaken for Americans and suffered the same treatment. Might be another useful line of investigation.

[quote]What is significant about this rage is that it emanates not from the great unwashed but from the educated and intellectual classes. … The day after 9/11 I was obliged to keep a consultant

Now, Butcher Boy:

It is quite bad manners of you to deflate my little attempt to take the wind out of Dangermouse’s increasingly strident tirade. Shame on you.

Have to agree with you though. This woman certainly does seem to attract a lot of negative attention and interaction. I have been in Europe repeatedly since 911 and have never experienced this but I have been at a few dinner parties where I was shocked at the gloating that was going on over America finally getting “punched in the nose,” etc. etc. Nevermind that thousands of innocent people were being killed in the World Trade Center and nevermind that these same whacked out nutcases are targeting them as well. They were just happy to see us as in the US suffer. Sick. I also think that this rabid anti-Americanism is spreading and results precisely from our good and strength rather than our bad and weak characteristics. What is it that makes everyone hate the rich, beautiful and successful. I imagine that the same scurrilous attacks on the US and Bush are from the same vein as the great unwashed when they greedily suck up the details of the latest celebrity divorce, drug overdose or sex scandal. Human nature but no less disgusting for not rising about it.

[quote=“fred smith”]Now, Butcher Boy:

It is quite bad manners of you to deflate my little attempt to take the wind out of Dangermouse’s increasingly strident tirade. Shame on you. [/quote]

Muchas appoligas, it’s just that I thought TC was starting to take it a little seriously - and I did mention the mouse!

As a serious aside, I know that a lot of crap was said immediately post 9/11 about the US deserving it, but some of the criticism was well aimed, and Bush seems interested in acting on it. For instance the support of the fuckwit leaders in Saudi. The policy towards that bunch of corrupt cunts has altered a little I believe.
Anyway enough of this seriousnes…back to frivolity :smiley:

Well, if you read through the article carefully, you will notice that the only really anti-AMERICAN incident was the one verbal assault on the bus.

Everything else was directed at her because she is Jewish and apparently chatters incessantly about the Holocaust and Israel. The shopkeeper seems to have told her off because he was tired of hearing about it; his comments made that pretty clear, as he asked her if her tape was yet another Holocaust thing, and told her to just shut up about Israel.

Someone who incessantly portrays herself as a victim is going to piss people off, just like blacks in the U.S. who think that whitey is deliberately spreading AIDS and crack in the ghetto, or feminists who run around screaming about white male oppressors, or homosexuals who constantly whine about gay-bashing. That’s probably why she “notices” – imagined or real – attacks against her.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly, professional victims are very irritating and tend to attract hostility because of their persecution complex.

This part, however, made me choke on my dinner. All of those groups have legitimate beefs that should be aired. Talking about real opression/inequality doesn’t mean that these people 'incessantly portray themselves as victims.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly, professional victims are very irritating and tend to attract hostility because of their persecution complex.

This part, however, made me choke on my dinner. All of those groups have legitimate beefs that should be aired. Talking about real opression/inequality doesn’t mean that these people 'incessantly portray themselves as victims.[/quote]
So it’s only Jews who don’t have “legitimate beefs”? Oy vey!

Nope,

That wasn’t my point at all.

What I questioned was the leap from professional victim to blacks, feminists and gays.

I think you missed the point rooftop. Yes, those groups do have legitimate greivances. But there are those in those groups too who constantly harp on about their shit in a professional victim style.

E.g., just about every single one of them who publicly claims to be a victim of any sort.

The NAACP in Seattle screamed racism over the indictment of a black bank robber. Eventually, the bank robber decided that the FBI had him so cold that he didn’t even try to raise a defense; he pled guilty.

Meanwhile, legitimate cases of discrimination, such as that of Seattle City Attorney Mark Sidran deliberately targeting black-owned businesses in the Central District in order to shut down the area and prepare it for rezoning and redevelopment, were totally ignored by the NAACP, both Seattle and national. Why? Well, mainly because Sidran was a Democrat. Can’t touch your “allies” even when they’re fucking over your supposed constituents.

Then of course there’s Jesse “Shakedown” Jackson, also known as Jesse “Give My Mistress a Job” Jackson.