Unique benefits of apartments in Taiwan

Gee, what happened to the good old towel dry the dishes?

As to bugs, my experience is we rarely get flies in the house. Roaches eat al will get to the dishes if they are in the house. Dish cabinets here are not hermetic.

I went to replace the florescent lights in my kitchen because they were flickering (I swear I was going to have a seizure!). The person at the store let me know in Chinese and then her best attempt at English that the LED tube light I was buying was “light bulb colored light” and not “white light”. Yes, I know, believe it or not, I can see the food I’m prepping much more easily when my retinas are not being burned out by the brightest possible white light. (Also, at NT$280/tube x 2 tubes, id say that was the cheapest “make this kitchen significantly more comfortable” upgrade I could have done)

1 Like

You should rise your dishes after being washed again. Especially if you used the dish washer. Turns out the chemicals we use to clean our dishes have been shown to be harmful to us.

Not sure if it’s a benefit, but the family altars with all their pull-out drawers and shelves can be interesting from a design perspective. I don’t know how common they are elsewhere in East Asia.

1 Like

I never understand the infatuation with fluorescent lights. It’s like almost every Taiwanese homes are only lit by these white bright ones. Actually a mix of white and orange lights gives the best balance of brightness and comfort.

I’m from a dry climate, never did that before and it’s an extra process that I don’t want to do anyway.

1 Like

I prefer letting them stand up to air dry nowadays, and I’d find it annoying to add the extra step.

Besides, I suspect tea towels would be pretty gross if you looked at them under a microscope. It’s probably one of those situations where you’d be exposing yourself to fewer bacteria by drying your dishes on a toilet seat.

Edit: Yeah, pretty gross.

3 Likes

They also literally don’t get dry. I dry my wet hands on a tea (or any other) towel after cleaning up my breakfast dishes and come home to a still wet towel at dinner time. But something is going to kill us, so I don’t think too much about it

1 Like

Yeah sure, but personally I’d feel like a bit of a failure if I got taken out by a tea towel.

2 Likes

That’s why someone needs to get some equipment and go around and take water samples from the mains before it goes to the building and have it tested independently, ill bet any money that at least 85% of the country its fine…through the mains at least.

Ktown maybe not ok, arsenic is a thing apparently, or maybe they fixed it idk

That’s certainly interesting. Does anyone here have one in their home?

I don’t. It might be the only thing my landlady took with her when she moved out.

1 Like

Drains in the floors of the kitchen, bathroom and laundry rooms are great for easy everyday use and cleaning.

If you are lucky, some classic old buildings have terrazzo and/or wood parquet floors and built-in closets made of cedar. And large balconies. Very fine features.

4 Likes

Unfortunately we don’t drink directly from the mains; the water goes through the pipes of individual buildings, and sits up in those (at times) dodgy water tanks before arriving through our taps . . . It’s possible that everything is awesome here, but that would be in my view a leap of faith farther than I am able or willing to jump.

Guy

True, but some actual houses likely have a direct mains connection since the pressure would be able to supply it. Lucky for them ehh…

I dont know why the whole city doesnt have a giant 316 stainless steel water tank like western countries do in lots of places. Plenty of mountains to put them on, multiple actually. Could then plaster the whole thing in led lights like Chongqing does with its buildings. Serves a purpose and is decoration. Could then gey rid of all the tanks on the buildings as they wouldnt be needed

My wife got a dish drying cabinet because of periodic roach outbreaks. Never see any in it. I guess they don’t like the light and heat

I’m only speculating, but I suspect the reason is to allow water to be piped at lower pressure. The distributed buffer tanks allow the booster stations to pump water at the minimum pressure required to fill the tanks, rather than the worst-case scenario of everyone using water at the same time (as happens at various times of the day).

And as mentioned, it has the useful side-effect of allowing an apartment block to operate “off grid” for a while in the event of a temporary water shutoff.

I’m drinking tap water now. Your body will get used to it in time.

If your building has water tanks, make sure your pump is working. If the tank is on the third floor it doesn’t need a pump, but 5 story gongyu needs them. If the pump is out you won’t have water. I had to fix the crap wiring on the pump in my building because no one else will, and the pump going out caused building wide water outage. Basically the wire was kinda broken because no one bothered to secure it, and someone putting trash there caused the power to the pump to cut off.

I’ve heard that its because they don’t use hot water when washing dishes. So its like swapping the hot water stage with a ‘hot drying’ stage.

I prefer using hot water but my gf seems to think the way we wash up in England is unhygienic so whatever.

1 Like

Unless the water is more than 75 degree C which is hot enough to burn you, using warm water to wash dishes isn’t going to do anything to kill germs. In that case it’s better to use a dishwasher because they can get those water way hotter than you can touch by hand.