Universal health care for California

Reason looks to be winning another round in the War on Ideology. :bravo:

[quote=“Schwarzenegger Calls for Universal Coverage”]Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday proposed to extend health coverage to nearly all of California’s 6.5 million uninsured people, promising to spread the cost among businesses, individuals, hospitals, doctors, insurers and government.

The plan contains elements that are likely to provoke opposition from a wide range of powerful interests, including doctors, hospitals and insurers, as well as employers and unions. But it also contains incentives for each of them.

All children, regardless of their immigration status, would be covered through an expansion of the state and federal Healthy Families program.

“I don’t think it is a question or a debate if they ought to be covered. … The federal courts have made that decision - that no one can be turned away,” Schwarzenegger said. “The question really isn’t to treat them or not to treat them. The question really is how can you treat them in the most cost-effective way.”

Under Schwarzenegger’s plan, all Californians would be required to have insurance, although the poorest would be subsidized. Businesses with 10 or more employees would have to offer insurance to their workers or pay 4 percent of their payroll into a state fund. Smaller businesses would be exempt.

Also, insurers would no longer be allowed to deny coverage to people because of their medical problems.[/quote]

Seems rather ambitious for a state that’s already pretty well bankrupt. Oh well, I guess if the feddies can do it so can a state.

The ambition’s not in the state, but in the Guvernator. I’ve been impressed with him. I admit I haven’t been reading heavily on the subject, but I get the impression Arnie is taking his job very seriously and striving hard to be not just another Republican timidly operating within the confines of what Republicans are “supposed to” do, but is trying hard to do the right thing, make progress, and leave a lasting legacy as a good Guv. :bravo:

Universal health care coverage? Erm…welcome to the 20th century.

Still, better late than never.

Google CEO stock sales have done much for Kalifernia. No shit. Google it.

This is great news. I’d prefer a more straightforward, single-payer system, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]Universal health care coverage? Erm…welcome to the 20th century.

Still, better late than never.[/quote]

Many Americans are still deeply opposed to universal health care, unfortunately.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“porcelainprincess”]Universal health care coverage? Erm…welcome to the 20th century.

Many Americans are still deeply opposed to universal health care, unfortunately.[/quote]

More like the past Congress was deeply opposed to universal health care.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“porcelainprincess”]Universal health care coverage? Erm…welcome to the 20th century.

Many Americans are still deeply opposed to universal health care, unfortunately.[/quote]

More like the past Congress was deeply opposed to universal health care.[/quote]

BRING BACK HILLARY!

[color=RED]WHERE DOES THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT COME FROM?[/color]

…can you say…taxes?..sure you can…:beatnik:

How many people elect a politician to raise your taxes?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][color=RED]WHERE DOES THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT COME FROM?[/color]

How many people elect a politician to raise your taxes?[/quote]

Here’s on idea on a blog:

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2006/12/reds_everywhere.html

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][color=RED]WHERE DOES THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT COME FROM?[/color]

How much do people pay for private insurance as it is?
How much do companies pay to insure their employees?
There’s a big, BIG push for this coming from major manufacturers who don’t want to carry the ridiculous burden they’ve been stuck with. Care to guess what percentage of the sticker price on a new GM truck goes to health care for the people who built it?

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][color=RED]WHERE DOES THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT COME FROM?[/color]

How much do people pay for private insurance as it is?
How much do companies pay to insure their employees?
There’s a big, BIG push for this coming from major manufacturers who don’t want to carry the ridiculous burden they’ve been stuck with. Care to guess what percentage of the sticker price on a new GM truck goes to health care for the people who built it?[/quote]Completely non-responsive.
UHC is paid for by tax-payer dollars.
To bring in some comment about a “GM truck” is ridiculous and diversionary.
Its tax payer dollars that would pay for illegals who even now flood the system and have bankrupted and caused the closure of numerous hospitals and medical facilities in California, Texas, Arizona and other states.

Answer the question - How many people will vote for a politician who openly admits they will raise taxes to pay for a scheme like this?

Don’t be silly. The money comes out of the same pockets, one way or another. The questions are how much money, out of whose pockets, and what do you get for your money?

Would you vote for a politician how offered to replace a $1000 private insurance bill with a $750 tax bill, if the results were the same?

Warning: I’ve drank beer and WILL be honest

My limited reading on economics has told me that universal health care is utter nonsense. Regardless of how “cool” it would be for everyone to have “free” health care, it is impossible.

Changing the PRICE of health care does nothing to the COST. The COST of health care can rear it’s head in many different shapes, sizes and forms. The one lay people are more familiar with is PRICE (aka BLING BLING $$$.) So making health care “free” (that’s what this universal shite is all about right?) just makes the COST show up somewhere other than $$$, which is in the form of LONG WAIT TIMES, REDUCTION OF QUALITY, ABUSE OF THE SYSTEM (I stubbed my toe, better go see the doc.) etc.

Like I said, I haven’t read much, but it seems clear to me that some COST (preferably in the form of price, because other costs seem to be harder to see) to the consumer is necessary so the resources are used appropriately.

I’m interested in finding the most efficient solution to making shit pimp (aka mutha fuckas are getting fixed when they really need fixin.) If there is a country I can look to for the pimpness (when it comes to health care.) Which one is it?

I haven’t looked into this much yet, but I do have 2 initial comments. The first is that Arnold’s main criticism of his opponent in the last election was that he wanted to raise taxes–much of which would have gone toward health care. Now, after the inauguration, Arnie is essentially announcing his own tax hikes. Somewhat disingenous, IMHO. The other issue is that the illegal immigration problem is enormous and growing, especially here in Southern California. Making universal coverage for illegal immigrants an official policy will do nothing to stem the tide, which is already overwhelming the education system and other areas of the infrastructure. It’s possible that extending health coverage to all will help divert people away from the ER for non-urgent matters, which would make treatment more cost-effective, but I wonder how that will balance out against the increased cost of universal coverage. In short, before we raise my taxes to pay for universal coverage, I want to see more earnest efforts at border control and immigration enforcement.

I think it comes to down to priorities. To me, health care is a top priority, second only to defense. Think about it this way, we’re spending hundreds of billions of dollars in Iraq, right? All paid for by taxpayers, right? But to those who believe in the war, like yourself, the astronomical bill is completely irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how much money it costs - it’s a top priority. But to people opposed to the war the cost is a major issue; nobody wants their tax dollars ill-spent (of course there are other reasons people oppose the war, but cost is talked about a lot).

I think that Americans who are well off financially and can comfortably afford private health care, even during periods of unemployment, are a lot less likely to consider universal health care a priority. In fact, they even likely to be opposed to it. Universal health care means that millions of uninsured Americans (I think the current number is 48 million) are going to be flooding clinics and doctors offices. Heck, instead of a ten or twenty minute wait you may have an hour or two hour wait - or God help us, three or four hours. But think about this carefully. Do you consider being opposed to universal health care because lots of poor people are going to cause longer wait times a morally defensible position?

Speaking as a person who has been unemployed and could not afford health insurance, and has had both parents in the same situation (one of whom was sick for a long time), I find the idea that a person who cannot afford health care does not deserve health care to be selfish and disgusting.

By the way TC…do you have Taiwan’s National Health Insurance?

[quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][color=RED]WHERE DOES THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT COME FROM?[/color]

I think it comes to down to priorities. To me, health care is a top priority, second only to defense. Think about it this way, we’re spending hundreds of billions of dollars in Iraq, right? All paid for by taxpayers, right? But to those who believe in the war, like yourself, the astronomical bill is completely irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how much money it costs - it’s a top priority. But to people opposed to the war the cost is a major issue; nobody wants their tax dollars ill-spent (of course there are other reasons people oppose the war, but cost is talked about a lot).

I think that Americans who are well off financially and can comfortably afford private health care, even during periods of unemployment, are a lot less likely to consider universal health care a priority. In fact, they even likely to be opposed to it. Universal health care means that millions of uninsured Americans (I think the current number is 48 million) are going to be flooding clinics and doctors offices. Heck, instead of a ten or twenty minute wait you may have an hour or two hour wait - or God help us, three or four hours. But think about this carefully. Do you consider being opposed to universal health care because lots of poor people are going to cause longer wait times a morally defensible position?

Speaking as a person who has been unemployed and could not afford health insurance, and has had both parents in the same situation (one of whom was sick for a long time), I find the idea that a person who cannot afford health care does not deserve health care to be selfish and disgusting.

By the way TC…do you have Taiwan’s National Health Insurance?[/quote]

I agree with much of what you said, but wanted to clarify a few points. First, this thread is about UHC for California not UHC at a federal level. Since California is disproportionately affected by the illegal immigrant population, it’s a different situation. I do take issue with using state funds to support health insurance for people who come here illegally. Then again, I would like to see a cost analysis that takes into account reduced use of emergency room services and increased use of clinic visits.

Second, I don’t know many families that are financially sound enough to comfortably afford private health insurance during an extended period of unemployment. As an example, even with Cobra (self-paid insurance for up to 18 months after you leave a job where you were insured) I’d be looking at close to $1000 USD/month to insure the family with a basic HMO plan. Still, most people I know in, let’s say, the US$50,000 to $150,000 income braket are at best skeptical of UHC for California. While these people are better off financially than those most likely to get the greatest benefit from UHC, most could not afford to do without employer-subsidised insurance for a prolonged period.

Third, increased wait times might be a problem (and could hurt work-place productivity), but a bigger issue is quality of care. Doctors already have very little time to spend with each patient, and I imagine that cost-cutting measures associated with a UHC plan could limit this time even more. Also, if anecdotes I’ve heard from people in the UK and Canada are true, then wait times for non-emergency surgeries could be greatly lengthened as well.

Fourth, the poorest and sickest people already DO have access to free or discount healthcare through agencies such as MediCal (California) and Medicaid along with free clinics in some areas. The current system is not perfect by any means and, in some cases, encourages people not to work because an increase in wages would disqualify them from such benefits. In California, children of legal low-income residents already have access to free health care, and I agree with this policy. And patients still can’t be refused for emergency care for lack of money. What I’m trying to say is that someone who opposes a UHC plan does not necessarily think that “a person who cannot afford health care does not deserve health care.”

Disclaimer: I work for a for-profit company in the health care sector.

Jeff -
Good points all and very well stated.

Gao -
Re:NHI here on the island - Yes. And I pay for it. Not sure how much it is, the wife takes care of the paperwork. And we are seriously looking into better coverage for the family on a “private payer” basis.
I had some dental work last year and was very dissatisfied with 2 NHI dentists I went to. Then I was recommended a ‘private’ dentist and after he cleared away the botched job of the first two, he did a superb job for me.

Prior to moving to the island, I had very good private pay coverage in southern California. I also was covered by the Veterans Administration. I basically choose the one which could do the best job.

(and In Orange County, Ca., that USD$50-150,000 income puts one smack in the lower/mid-middle class level)