University admissions standards?

Yeah seen many. Off the top of my head I can think of Aachen, Hamilton college, UCLA, UW and TU Munich. All were disappointed in the quality of the universities though lol.

That’s how most Taiwanese students learn vocabulary here.

I think it goes to the use of zhuyin as a crutch means English phonics is also seen as a crutch. “You should just memorize the shape of the word”.

There’s actually an incredible about of research on the importance of explicit phonics instruction for English, and that adults in the US who weren’t explicitly taught phonics as kids continue to struggle to read (at the age of 40+). That’s not to say they’re illiterate, but it takes them longer to read and they don’t read for enjoyment because of the struggle.

I will spend an entire 45 minute class period having students sound our three or four CVC words (as 8th graders) because they say things like “那怋 “em-ooo” é–‹é ­çš„é‚Łçš„è©žâ€ because they don’t know how to say “mop” and literally don’t know how to sound it out.

I have ninth graders who can’t tell the difference between “he”, “it”, “we”, “if”, “on”, “in”, “or”, and just about every other two letter word. It’s thanks to never being taught to sound things out. But they can all spell better than me.

The problem is that I have yet to encounter a Taiwanese English teacher who doesn’t have students memorize spelling, not sounds. Fighting a loosing battle. English isn’t Chinese and until Taiwan recognizes that, there will be a very limited population with even moderate English competency.

3 Likes

I can see that. : D

Guy

2 Likes

Blockquote SEA students I’ve met are smart and hard working, they have to be outstanding in their home country to get a scholarship to come to Taiwan.

As the hook-nosed one in the thread said, ethnicity isn’t a great predictor. There are excellent SEA students at some of the top universities in Asia, the US, and EU. However the ones that aren’t wealthy enough to travel afar for their education go to Taiwan as it’s the second best thing. Same goes for Eastern Europeans, Americans, Canadians in these programs. They aren’t sending their best.

The teachers aren’t much better. I’ve made a lot of money ghostwriting their papers, and building the powerpoint decks that form the bread and butter of their curriculum.

1 Like

Not the first time I’ve misspelled/t that exact word on this forum

3 Likes

This place affects the best of us.

Guy

[quote=“EnglishTsai, post:24, topic:190715”]
However the ones that aren’t wealthy enough to travel afar for their education go to Taiwan
[/quote]Makes sense. I suppose a degree from a Taiwanese university carries more weight in their home country than the same degree would for a western counterpart.

I hope that can be my new “moniker” or whatever you call it. Do I need to ask @yyy to please make that my title? Although I am a goy.

Honestly, I’ve experienced the quality of so-called “elite” schools in the West and in Taiwan. “Elite” says far more about ₏„£$ and influence than teaching quality and graduate potential. I don’t put faith in those pedigrees. Just ask @nz about those illustrious Fulbright scholars. Ha!

3 Likes

Wealthy doesn’t equal best. I’ve taught students from rich families who were fantastic. I’ve also taught students from rich families who were dumb entitled little sh*ts. I’ve taught poor students who were fantastic. I’ve also taught poor students who were dumb, but at least no poor students have been entitled little sh#ts.

7 Likes

It’s not about teaching quality, but it’s hard to get into elite schools unless you have talent, academic aptitude, and ambition. Elite meaning Ivy league, Oxbrige, London school of economics, Tsinghua. Only a certain type of student get into them in most cases. Admissions standard are much higher.

And the right family background, which provides the applicant with the education, skills, and connections that help a great deal in entering such schools.

Elite schools are a class thing. Sure, those from less wealthy backgrounds can get into them, but it’s a much harder road for them.

In 2017, a team led by the Harvard economist Raj Chetty found that students coming from families in the top 1 percent—those who make more than $630,000 a year—are 77 times more likely to be admitted to and attend an Ivy League school than students coming from families who make less than $30,000 a year. Furthermore, the study found that 38 elite colleges have more students who come from families in the top 1 percent than students who come from the bottom 60 percent (families making less than $65,000 a year). In other research, Anthony Carnevale and Jeff Strohl, of Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce, have documented how just 14 percent of undergraduates at the most competitive schools—places like Stanford, Princeton, and Columbia—come from families who make up the bottom half of U.S. income distribution.

3 Likes

This is my point. Eager students taught by mediocre tenured relics. Many more affordable schools have higher quality education with lower tuition. Schools where teachers are paid to TEACH, not research and various other duties.

The whole scandal with one of Taiwan’s elite schools getting caught lying to an accreditation association demonstrates that they had no profs with practical experience and had to falsify records.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, acceptance of foreign students tends to be on the basis of what scholarships they’ve received from the government. Often the MOFA or ICDF scholarships will guarantee acceptance. These students are a mixed bunch, some are the smartest people I’ve ever met, others struggle with basic concepts.

That could be the reason. Didn’t think of it that way before. Went to an American kiddie school and had a tutor till some point in grade school. Perhaps most students didn’t learn English the way I did. I am sure that they know phonics but they just wouldn’t read it out. Perhaps they do this in a different way in public schools.

I even got one student whose parents ask me to teach her kk so she could ace the tests at her bushiban. Her teacher at the bushiban would write the kk symbols and ask the students to spell the English word. Quite absurd if you ask me. Eventually we can’t stand each other no more and we ended the class. But I managed to get her parents to find an american tutor for the brother, learning phonics. Kk might suit the sister well but it’s not for the brother.

You know I actually typed all that while waiting for my oden🍱
And know I’m home enjoying my piggy blood curds, I have second thought. We actually “spell” with zhuin too. We learn to speak and then we learn to write/spell zhuin. Not so much different from Americans. Yet somehow students just refuse to do that when it comes to English. I learned Japanese here and everyone in the class were more than happy to speak Japanese. But no one wants to speak English in English classes.

Is it the pronunciation that makes the difference? Perhaps it’s more difficult for Taiwanese to pronounce English words so they’d just avoid it as much as they could?

I don’t know how to change these thing as class and wealth differences will always be there. But IME, I meet far more excellent and ambitious students going to these schools than regular schools. Not just from a academic stand point, they have better life habits for success and understanding of how go into professional situations.

For example, I went to a top 25 B school for undergrad in the US. Not quite elite but a top school. I am now finishing up that degree (my last week) at a small school using their distance learning program for my last 2 terms. I find their actual program comparable in quality, and may even give an edge to my current average school vs the top school. One reason is because all my professors are professionals that are adjunct professors. In my top B school, many “great” professors are academics that have never left academia. Some of them are just horrible teachers and know nothing about real life.

But the big difference is, many students in my current uni that interact with are average. They are fine with it. Rarely do I see another student push for excellence, and I had to keep reminding myself I should not lower my standards even though I really could and get pretty good grades.

And I can definitely understand how it’s a harder road. This is why I’m leveraging my grades to go into a top school again in the UK. Some jobs won’t even give me a chance if I don’t go to a prestigious school. And the biggest challenge is my school doesn’t have the connection to prestigious firms. This is why Harvard or Wharton grads can get into these jobs, the school has connections for them to network.

4 Likes

Yup, this is the case. I wrote to @lostinasia about my experience learning in a top school and a small state school. I find the small state schools education better with professors that are professionals in their field vs academics who never left academia.

1 Like

What’s this about? Any link?

Guy

This is super encouraging and reaffirming of my experiences as well. I had the credentials to attend several high ranked universities for my undergrad, but couldn’t afford it. Chose a “second” tier school and flourished, knew my profs personally, and had great recommendations. Glad I took that route. Met some “elite” school grads who didn’t know their arse from a hole in the ground.

3 Likes

I think it’s still worth going to at least a good school. But it depends on the job. For some jobs, it’s almost a requirement to go into a top to elite school. Some it doesn’t matter. I can’t speak about what fields, but it’s really hard and almost impossible to go into banking without going to a elite school.

TBH, Undergrad doesn’t make a big difference in most cases. But going to a top grad school is rather important imo.