University program enrollment on the decline

it seems most states are under $20k tuition, most by a decent bit (school costs vary within a state), those that can approach it mostly have cheaper options. Flagship schools tend to be more, but still tend to be pretty affordable. looking at Michigan, UCLA, SUNY schools, Ohio State… all a decent chunk below $20k tuition.

1 Like

It says the school I went to, which is a highly rated school in the southwest, is about 7,000 for in state

I was on the gi bill, so not actually sure about the cost.
I think tuition is only that high in certain states (like California which is 14,000 for residents) or at top tier schools like NYU (the tuition there is 30,000).

A lot of the cost comes from books, living expenses and a lack of substantial income while attending school.

The cost for out of state/international students with s extremely high though for nearly any university.

California had a USA$97 billion surplus (TW$29 trillion), if they wanted could give all Cal State and UC students USA$100,000 each (What UC has done is admit more local students and less full paying international, which I think is good)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-13/california-governor-sees-record-97-5-billion-operating-surplus

they may have a budget surplus, but Cali cannot even build a HSR

What is HSR? I do think California is great place to live if you skills to get a good job, some of my relatives in Hawaii have got nice jobs in California.

Guy

1 Like

ah, the bullet train or 高鐵! I think California does not need itor if they had one most prefer cars or the aeroplane.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Taiwan population decline

The structural population decline continues to impact universities.

From this story, you can conversely tell (sort of) where students wish to study:

[N]ine universities and colleges [in Taiwan] registered a 100% enrollment for 2022, including two theological institutions. The seven other schools are the National Tsing Hua University, National Cheng Kung University, National Chung Hsing University, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, National Central University, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, and National Taiwan University of Science and Technology. [NB: You already mentioned that one!]

National Taiwan University, perceived as the top university in Taiwan, recorded 99.9% enrollment.

Guy

2 Likes

These include Chinese Culture University (58.9%) and Chang Jung Christian University (53.5%). Among the struggling is MingDao University, which admitted merely 39.47% of the students it had expected to enroll and its enrollment rates have logged lower than 60% for three years in a row, per UDN.

Oh, that sucks for MingDao University. They’d better start a student recruitment drive in Eswatini before they run out of foreign students to force to work in the chicken-skinning factory. :whistle:

REPORTS THAT 40 exchange students from Eswatini studying in Taiwan were forced to work in a refrigerated factory skinning chickens should be highly concerning. Namely, there have been a number of similar incidents in past years involving students from non-western countries forced to work in factories for low wages by their universities under the auspices of work-study programs or internships.

News of the most recent incident, involving the students from Eswatini, broke earlier this month. The students in question were studying at the MingDao University in Changhua. Students were forced to work forty hours a week and were reportedly not being paid the wages they were owed, with the factories instead providing “donations” to the university.

5 Likes

MingDao will start a controlled shut down starting in the Fall semester. It’s game over.

3 Likes

Having said that, the MOE appears to be allowing unis to collapse. I guess it’s too expensive to allow students to complete their courses. Loads of other unis willing to take them.

3 Likes

Awful news about an international student from Vietnam enrolled at Lee-Ming Institute of Technology in Xinbei, killed during one of Taiwan’s signature “internships” at a food factory in Wugu. WTF!

Guy

3 Likes

The fines are such a joke. No wonder companies dont care

‘Furthermore, the company that runs the factory may be liable to a fine of between NT$30,000 (US$975.5) and NT$300,000, if it is found that the student was not provided with the mandatory protective gear, the department said.’

‘The company will also be required to pay compensation to the student’s family, or else face a fine of NT$20,000 to NT$1 million, the department said, citing the Occupational Safety and Health Act.’

‘In addition, the New Taipei City Government will offer Vy’s family a condolence amount of NT$150,000,’

Life is cheap

4 Likes

I doubt this is all of the fines/compensations

I’ve always said the fines for breaking labor laws are so low it’s easier to keep paying the fine than follow them.

1 Like

Yup

Has Hou You-yi said a word about this awful case? It happened in his town. Does he care?

Guy

2 Likes

Many private universities, including Hwa Hsia, have struggled to enroll students and stay afloat as the number of university age students in Taiwan declines because of the precipitous fall in the country’s birth rate.

4 Likes

Tick, tick, tick…

1 Like