UNLC, Yilan

Hello ESL trenchers!

I’m in communication with a school, as stated in the subject line, UNLC in Yilan. They need someone right a way and I’m a bit inclined to take it. However, before such progress is made, I’ve asked to see the contract and will try and chat with another teacher there.

I was told they do provide the ARC (via visa trip to Singapore) and health insurance. I’m a bit unfamiliar (yet, learning) with the visa process there in Taiwan so I’m trying to keep my radar on.

The working details at this point, are not important. I’ll check with those at a later date in the near future.

However, if anyone knows anything of this school, please let me know.

Rockymountainhigh

Nobody, eh?

Thank folks.

A visa trip to Singapore strikes me as odd. Which country are you from? You should be able to get a 90 day landing visa and if the school have their act together then this is sufficient time to process an ARC.

I am an American. I’m going through the visa info, as I type this.

Though, the school has a six day work week.
$500-$600 per hour (20-25 hours)
Health Insurance and ARC (no mention of providing a work permit)
Needs me to start by the 13th of this month to replace the outgoing teacher.
Has yet to show me a contract or contact info of any other teacher.

UNLC in Yilan…nobody has heard of it?

Hey rockymountainhigh
Did you find out any information about UNLC?

[quote=“rockymountainhigh”]I am an American. I’m going through the visa info, as I type this.

Though, the school has a six day work week.
$500-$600 per hour (20-25 hours)
Health Insurance and ARC (no mention of providing a work permit)
Needs me to start by the 13th of this month to replace the outgoing teacher.
Has yet to show me a contract or contact info of any other teacher.

UNLC in Yilan…nobody has heard of it?[/quote]

Most foreigners can’t get an ARC without a work permit, so unless they’re giving you a bride or millions of NT to “invest” in government bonds, that’s probably implicit to the ARC offer.

Contracts are not provided for any jobs here until you’ve demonstrated proficiency via the employers’ “tests.” For buxiban jobs, you just have to hide your sociopathic tendencies or alcoholism well for a ten-minute practicum (that is, until you get out of the buxiban industry altogether). They’re not going to give you the contact info of a teacher who’s leaving, in part because they would have to talk to said teacher (which many buxiban managers and owners dislike doing because it exposes their huge English gaps, and hence their hypocrisy in running such places), and also because they risk the teacher scaring you away from the job.

Don’t expect to work twenty hours per week, by the way. Expect somewhere just under the minimum (12~14 per week), and play the CLA Blackmail Game later on when you find something better.