Unlock Playstation 3 for Region Free DVD Play

Is there anyplace in Taipei that can unlock it to play DVDs from any region?

And Blu-ray disks also?

I have a new Sony Playstation 3 80Gb purchased in the US.

No one’s needed to unlock a PS3 before. Just get a $1000NT dvd player.
What blu-ray discs do you want to play? Taiwan is in the same region as the US.

The local blu-rays work on my playstation. But the local DVDs do not work.

I want to play the local DVDs because the Playstation attempts to upgrade the output to 1080p high-definition. Playing DVDs on my Playstation makes them look and sound better on my 1080p system. They probably don’t appear any better on a regular system.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]No one’s needed to unlock a PS3 before. Just get a $1000NT dvd player.
What blu-ray discs do you want to play? Taiwan is in the same region as the US.[/quote]The U.S. is Region 1. Taiwan is Region 3 (At least, based on every DVD for sale at the Carrefour). Japan, if it matters, I believe is Region 2.

Sony (and Panasonic) are also notorious for being unnecessarily difficult to hack. Usually requires actually opening them up & soldering a chip in somewhere - not worth the hassle.

Research cheapo DVD players available near you (I have a US$30 Coby that’s lasted for years) and then compare those available to the list at:
videohelp.com/dvdhacks .
Many upscale to 1080HD, and you can make them region free w/a simple button combo on the remote.

Blu-Ray seems a bit trickier, but there are hacks for some (region-free standard DVD at any rate - not sure if it works on the Blu-Ray discs too). The Samsung P-1000 is one, for example. They don’t have any hacks for PS3 though.

[quote=“sjhuz01”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]No one’s needed to unlock a PS3 before. Just get a $1000NT dvd player.
What blu-ray discs do you want to play? Taiwan is in the same region as the US.[/quote]The U.S. is Region 1. Taiwan is Region 3 (At least, based on every DVD for sale at the Carrefour). Japan, if it matters, I believe is Region 2.[/quote]You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

A PS3 will upscale, so you will your TV, but they can’t add detail that wasn’t on the DVD in the first place.

I still say there are no hacks for the PS3, there is no need for them, Sony didn’t limit it as much as Nintendo. I bet you a doughnut.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“sjhuz01”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]No one’s needed to unlock a PS3 before. Just get a $1000NT dvd player.
What blu-ray discs do you want to play? Taiwan is in the same region as the US.[/quote]The U.S. is Region 1. Taiwan is Region 3 (At least, based on every DVD for sale at the Carrefour). Japan, if it matters, I believe is Region 2.[/quote]You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

A PS3 will upscale, so you will your TV, but they can’t add detail that wasn’t on the DVD in the first place.

I still say there are no hacks for the PS3, there is no need for them, Sony didn’t limit it as much as Nintendo. I bet you a doughnut.[/quote]

Many TVs have only the most basic upscaling while DVD players often do it much better. I hear the PS3 does it very well. Some of the most expensive DVD players can come close to simulating Blu-Ray type definition.

I’m sure you can get your PS3 chipped at any place that sells them. Not only will it be region free, but you’ll be able to play black market games. Not suggestion you buy them…just saying your machine would be able to play them.

I was under the impression that a PS3 can’t be modchipped. I see xbox360 games on torrent sites, but never any PS3 games.

The PS3 was just recently hacked and AFAIK there are no pirated games for it like there are for the XBOX and Wii. I’m thinking about getting one.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”] You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

[/quote]

So does that mean that since the games are Blu-Ray that you can import american games to play on your Taiwan bought PS3??

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”] You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

[/quote]

So does that mean that since the games are Blu-Ray that you can import American games to play on your Taiwan bought PS3??[/quote]Yes. But it’s nothing to do with blu-ray, the games are still region free anyway.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”] You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

[/quote]

So does that mean that since the games are Blu-Ray that you can import American games to play on your Taiwan bought PS3??[/quote]Yes. But it’s nothing to do with blu-ray, the games are still region free anyway.[/quote]

But they aren’t region free for the Wii or Xbox…correct?

I am curious how the PS3 got hacked because it is a very hard system to break. I really doubt it got hacked, probably another internet rumor.

If it did get hacked please direct me to the link so I can start using my PS3 in ways that I couldn’t before.

[quote=“djkonstable”]I am curious how the PS3 got hacked because it is a very hard system to break. I really doubt it got hacked, probably another internet rumor.

If it did get hacked please direct me to the link so I can start using my PS3 in ways that I couldn’t before.[/quote]
I think the guy who hacked it is talking to Sony about it and looking at getting paid. It took them forever to hack the PS3 and I’m sure Sony is busting out a briefcase of money, whores and/or a large number of hardcore Yakuza thugs to persuade him.

The games on PS3 are region free? WTF?!?!?! Now I’m really regretting buying a Wii. :fume:

[quote=“Mordeth”]But they aren’t region free for the Wii or Xbox…correct?[/quote]Correct. Some are region free on the XBox, but you will need to check. All games are locked on the Wii as far as I know.

PS3 game are region free, so are most of the Blu-ray on the market. IMO the problem lays more on video standard (PAL/NTSC), indeed my PS3 refuses to read my region free PAL DVD
, I had to rip them.

Indeed, the PS3 has been cracked (by GeoHot, the same guy who cracked the iPhone 1st) but we’re still extremely far to launch our freshly downloaded and burned “back up” blu-ray

PS3 game are region free, so are most of the Blu-ray on the market. IMO the problem lays more on video standard (PAL/NTSC), indeed my PS3 refuses to read my region free PAL DVD
, I had to rip them.

Indeed, the PS3 has been cracked (by GeoHot, the same guy who cracked the iPhone 1st) but we’re still extremely far to launch our freshly downloaded and burned “back up” blu-ray[/quote]

I think your PS3 would play them no problem. But perhaps it’s your TV that has issues with PAL. Plus PS3 is best used with HDMI and HDMI is neither NTSC nor PAL.

And for anyone else thinking about getting a PS3, here is some info: squidoo.com/ps3attitude

, I had to rip them.

Indeed, the PS3 has been cracked (by GeoHot, the same guy who cracked the iPhone 1st) but we’re still extremely far to launch our freshly downloaded and burned “back up” blu-ray[/quote]

It is still hype and until things reach the boards and actually establish themselves for homebrew etc… I don’t accept it.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”] You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

[/quote]

So does that mean that since the games are Blu-Ray that you can import American games to play on your Taiwan bought PS3??[/quote]

Yep, works fine I tried.

Curious to see how it goes with an European game.

[quote=“Tortue”][quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”] You are thinking of DVDs, I was talking about blu-rays, Taiwan and North America are both in Region A.

[/quote]

So does that mean that since the games are Blu-Ray that you can import American games to play on your Taiwan bought PS3??[/quote]

Yep, works fine I tried.

Curious to see how it goes with an European game.[/quote]

I talked with the guy at the local video game shop. He said that the games on the wall are from America, Europe, and Japan. And they all work fine.

[quote=“Mordeth”]
I think your PS3 would play them no problem. But perhaps it’s your TV that has issues with PAL. Plus PS3 is best used with HDMI and HDMI is neither NTSC nor PAL.

And for anyone else thinking about getting a PS3, here is some info: squidoo.com/ps3attitude[/quote]

Indeed, the PAL/NTSC should not be a problem with nowadays TV. However, the error message comes from the PS3 itself, not from the TV :

EDIT : I found several posts like this one : forums.cnet.com/5208-10151_102-0 … dID=298632, I guess I have to rip all my PAL DVD then :slight_smile: