Unpaid Drunk Driving Fines

He’s still drunk!!

I meant due to the DUI. Not the covid situation. Do you have any answers to 1-5? No? Okay thanks for your opinion.

I think it’s safe to say from all this that coming back and clearing your name is probably a good idea in the future if you care about it (your karma, whether you take that literally or figuratively or neither). But this is not the best time to do it, and you are unlikely to be allowed into Taiwan anyway. Even if you were allowed in, where would you do the quarantine? I doubt cells / jail are set up for it. It sounds to me like you might be best to try to find work in Vietnam for now, or go home.

1 Like

Don’t think this thread has any new ground to cover (and now everyone is just talking in circles). Due to covid, even if you didn’t have the DUI it’d probably be a long time before you could come back to Taiwan. If it makes you feel any better, I have a colleague who voluntarily left a uni job in Taiwan to go make a new life in Vietnam. He says he’s happier at a cram school there in ‘Nam than he was at a uni here in Taiwan. I know a couple other people who left jobs in Korea and Taiwan to move there too. Personally if I wasn’t tied to Taiwan due to family (and if covid-19 wasn’t ravaging the world), I might check it out myself. Life gave you lemons (well, more accurately you gave yourself lemons), but make some Vietnamese lemonade.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Non-English/Chinese Meme of the Day

Exactly!

The OP can’t come back to Taiwan at this time because he doesn’t have citizenship, an ARC or an APRC.

All arguments afterward are pointless.

Once foreigners are allowed back in Taiwan, the OP can return and face the music (jail time & deportation).

/end/

3 Likes

does anyone have some concrete information what are commercial and contractual obligations? Usual employment contract is included or not?

Foreigners with approval by competent authorities in Taiwan can be granted special entry permits. Work permits can be the approval by competent authorities?

Q5: Can foreign nationals apply to competent authorities in Taiwan for an approval letter?
A: Yes, foreign nationals can apply to competent authorities in Taiwan for an approval letter. However, in these cases the reason for visiting Taiwan must be on diplomatic or official business, fulfilling commercial and contractual obligations, or requiring special permission; otherwise, he or she will not be allowed entry.

Q7: Are foreign migrant workers eligible for special entry permits?
A: Foreign migrant workers holding work permits issued by Taiwan’s Ministry of Labor may enter the country with migrant worker visas issued by R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas missions.

Something may have been lost in translation there. I thought getting a formal criminal record check (the kind you need for employment purposes) was done by written application, for a fee. As for court records, you can find both 裁定 and 判決 at https://law.judicial.gov.tw/, if you can read Chinese.

:rofl:

Okay, on this point I do feel sorry for you. You’re not the first person to complain about the standards for court interpreters in Taiwan! As for lawyers, if you ever find yourself in trouble in Taiwan again, be sure to ask for one.

You threw out your certified copy of a court document? :doh: If you find yourself in the JIRS database linked to above, you can make a non-certified copy, at least.

2 Likes

It seems a work permit is sufficient.