Unreported attack on US base in Iraq, 300+ casualties?

Ok, admittedly, I’ll believe just about anything these days. Still, this sorce seems, well, a little less than solid. Anyone heard other info about this story?

Far more detailed info in the story, here:
houston.indymedia.org/news/2006/10/53584.php

Wow! That sucks, if true.

It’s all over the place and word for word. There is also an “official” casualty list from a hospital in Baghdad. I didn’t post the link because it very well could be bullshit, and extremely harmful bullshit if these names are actual serving people.

HG

It seems that 4 rockets hit the camp and an ammo dump was exploded.

alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/RAS036706.htm

signonsandiego.com/news/nati … sions.html

abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 … 762654.htm

[quote]"“Intelligence indicates that civilians aligned with a militia organization were responsible
for last night’s mortar attack,” said Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Withington, spokesman for the U.S. 4th
Infantry Division.

An after action report, issued by the Department of Defense, stated that: “On October 10, 2006, at
approximately 10:40 p.m., a 82mm mortar round, fired by militia forces from a residential area in Abu
T-Shir, caused a fire at an Ammunition Supply Point (ASP) at FOB Falcon. The ASP, containing tank and
artillery rounds, in addition to smaller caliber ammunition, set off a series of large explosions.
About 100 troops from the 4th Infantry Division were reported to be stationed at the base at the time,
but no injuries were reported.” (Emphasis added.) “The damage to the area will not degrade the operational capability of MND-B (Multinational Division Baghdad),”[/quote]

I saw these brief reports and I think a news video was floating around when this happened. Quite a show when an ammo dump cooks off.
I find the “casualty” report and list hard to believe real. If there had been this many casualties it would still be making headlines. The news media was well aware of this event.
IMO, this is manufactured hyperbole. I do not believe it as it stands. Too many reputed WIA’s and no follow up fanfare by the media. Nor could the SecDef afford to sit on this and allow it to be “scooped” by the anti-war/anti-USA/anti-Bush wankers.
Just my $0.02 worth.

From the official web site of the Multi-National Forces involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom:

[quote] Operations return to normal after mortar attack on FOB Falcon
Saturday, 14 October 2006
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RELEASE No. 20061014-01
Oct. 13, 2006

Operations return to normal after mortar attack on FOB Falcon

By Spc. Jason Dangel
4th BCT PAO, 4th Inf. Div.

FOB FALCON, Iraq – Less than 24 hours after enemy 82mm mortar rounds hit an ammunition holding area, causing a torrent of explosions and fires that continued to smolder through the next day, life on Forward Operating Base Falcon has retuned to normal.

Despite triggering multiple explosions and causing fire crews to work overtime, there were no casualties, and little damage was sustained to the buildings and vehicles positioned throughout the large military base located in Baghdad’s Doura neighborhood, said Col. Michael Beech, commander, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division.

With the help of seven Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams, the Soldiers at FOB Falcon were quickly able to locate and dispose of all unexploded ordnance near the explosion site, which enabled business to return to normal Thursday morning.(more at link)
Operation Iraqi Freedom[/quote]
A good & timely web site to check out for up-to-date info.

No way- the casualty rate for October is already the highest since January 2005, and nobody notices an explosion that makes it the worst month ever?

No way- the casualty rate for October is already the highest since January 2005, and nobody notices an explosion that makes it the worst month ever?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I find the “casualty” report and list hard to believe real. If there had been this many casualties it would still be making headlines. The news media was well aware of this event.
IMO, this is manufactured hyperbole. I do not believe it as it stands. Too many reputed WIA’s and no follow up fanfare by the media. Nor could the SecDef afford to sit on this and allow it to be “scooped” by the anti-war/anti-USA/anti-Bush wankers.
Just my $0.02 worth.[/quote]

Yeah, TC, I think you’re right.

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I find the “casualty” report and list hard to believe real. If there had been this many casualties it would still be making headlines. The news media was well aware of this event.
Just my $0.02 worth.[/quote]Yeah, TC, I think you’re right.[/quote]I hope that I am. Believe it or not, I don’t like playing ‘politics’ with casualties of war.
In this case I just can’t find anything to support the allegation.