Unrestricted PRC passports for Taiwan nationals?

Is there any way for Taiwan nationals to get a full, unrestricted PRC passport?

Absolutely! As long as you are willing go through all of the fun of defecting and committing treason towards the ROC and giving up all of that sweet sweet democracy they have.

Jokes aside, yes. A ROC national can get a PRC passport but then they’ll be forced to give up household registration in Taiwan. That would also entail acquiring PRC hukou. I wouldnt see why anyone would though, the passport is not good (to put it lightly) for travelling.

If you give up the household registration, you will just be a NWHOR, right?

If you become a NWHOR because you get a PRC passport, can you regain the household registration by staying in Taiwan for a year again?

How would the ROC authorities even know you have a PRC passport?

Getting a TARC (from anecdotal evidence) isn’t as easy as just some foreigner coming here and getting an ARC.
A person from the PRC faces huge restrictions cause they’re coming from an enemy state. a NWHOR has the same rights as a foreigner and cannot vote, or run for office or stay in the country indefinitely or work.

Usually a PRC national to even get a ROC passport has to live outside of any PRC claimed territory for several years, and picking up PR in another country before they’re even considered an overseas national.

They probably wont, but if they catch wind of it, you’ll be forcibly stripped of that status.

A crime isn’t a crime until you’re caught. right?

Why would you even want a PRC passport?

The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), Taiwan’s top authority on cross-strait affairs, announced on Tuesday that Taiwan citizen are not allowed to hold a Chinese passport, even those specified as valid for only single exit and entry trips with tour groups.

The Cabinet-level institution issued the warning after a Taiwanese man had his Republic of China (Taiwan) household registration and passport canceled on returning from a tour to China and Russia in early October.

2 Likes

What kind of dodgy transaction are you planning to engage in?

"台湾人是中国人,台湾是中华人民共和国不可分割的一部分,台湾人当然可以申请中国护照。这是他们作为中国人的一项基本权利。具体申请办法各省出入境规定略有不同,下面是广东省的规定:

台湾居民办理普通因私护照办法

一、申请资料
1、台湾居民身份证;
2、《台湾居民来往大陆通行证》及有效暂住签注;
3、广东省人民政府台湾事务办公室核发的台湾同胞投资企业确认证书。
4、申请人在台湾投资企业任职、受聘的证明。
二、申请条件
1、在大陆投资的台湾居民及随行眷属或受聘于台湾投资企业的台湾居民因经济活动或商务的需要须从大陆前往其他国家的;
2、在大陆拜师学艺需随师出国的(台湾居民从师者须持地级市以上有关部门的资格认定书);
3、上述人员在我省参加团队出国旅游的;
4、有关部门因工作需要的。
三、申请手续
填写《台湾居民办理普通护照申请审批表》(由广东省公安厅出入境管理处统一监制,各市公安局自行复制),由暂住地市、县人民政府台湾事务办公室加具审核意见后连同前面所述的资料送交暂住地市、县公安局出入境管理部门审批。如审查同意的予以签发护照,并在护照备注页上加注“根据XXXXXX号《台湾居民来往大陆通行证》签发”字样。"

作者:辛晓晨
链接:台湾人是如何办理中华人民共和国护照的? - 知乎
来源:知乎
著作权归作者所有。商业转载请联系作者获得授权,非商业转载请注明出处。

Added

Are the followings government sites?
I don’t know the difference of these two sites.

http://www.gdcrj.com/bszn/zggmcg/twjmblyspthz/201404/t20140409_28145.htm

http://crj.gdga.gov.cn/bszn/zggmcg/twjmblyspthz/

The above two might be old sites. The below seems to be the current site.

http://www.gdcrj.com/bszn/ndjmwlgat/201705/t20170516_34243.htm

2 posts were split to a new topic: “Why don’t you just defect?” and other cross-strait arguments

When posting extensively in Chinese (and especially in simplified characters), please provide a summary in English. :slight_smile:

For example, the above information from a non-government source appears to explain how a NWHR can obtain a PRC passport in Guangdong.

Of course, this is for information purposes only, not advice.

A crime is a crime. Don’t get me started. :no_no:

I don’t recall whether having double household registration is techincally criminal or just an administrative violation, but fraud is a crime, so it’s not hard to see why people find this sort of inquiry suspicious.

1 Like

I was being facetious

1 Like

That is just a questions and answers website though, like yahoo questions or Quora.

They co-ordinate this stuff through the straights exchange foundation, and ARATS. In most cases it would be close to impossible to obtain and maintain both simultaneously.

It is feasible to have both ROC and a PRC (Hong Kong) passport however, especially if you also have a foreign nationality. You could travel to Hong Kong on your foreign passport, naturalize, and never mention your ROC passport.

1 Like

That sounds illegal. :2cents:

No doubt. Just pointing out that someone -not me- could hypothetically do that and the ROC and PRC authorities would probably not have any way of knowing.

For non Hong Kong PRC passports there is no obvious loophole like that.

my ability to read simplified Chinese is not enough to dig those information from PRC government sites…

Edit: I found and added government sites to the post.

HK’s passport is a full, unrestricted PRC passport? They need to have 港澳台居民居住證 for full rights in mainland, right?

HK’s site is more foreigner friendly, though.

Application for Naturalisation as a Chinese National

Though, this seems to be hard to do for naturalized Taiwanese, unless they manage to retain or regain a foreign passport at the time of naturalization.

In which kind of cases, Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents is not enough?

Yea my point was that if you happened to hold ROC and a foreign nationality, then in that case you could arrive in HK as a foreigner - not mention your ROC nationality ever - and naturalize after the required number of years resident as a foreigner. (Not as an ROC national). That is the only feasible route to holding both PRC and ROC passports simultaneously that I can think of.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the motivation for this question is–whether it is just hypothetical question, or whether someone actually wants a PRC passport–but it is my understanding that it IS possible. However, as has been mentioned above, you would have to register your hukou on the Mainland, which effectively gives up your right to any other passport. (Dual-nationality is not recognized in the PRC.) I don’t know how these things are monitored, but I know they are on the Mainland. (For example, a Chinese friend of mine went to Canada when he was a kid and became Canadian. He came back to China for university, then started a business and when he tried to renew his Chinese ID card, he couldn’t. It was in the system that he also had Canadian citizenship.)

HOWEVER, all this said, as one poster mentioned above, a Taiwan national can get a taibaozheng which allows people to enter the Mainland very easily. It’s a renewable card that is good for at least two years and it serves in place of a passport at the Chinese border.

ALSO, as of September 1, 2018, Taiwan (as well as Hong Kong and Macau) nationals can also apply for a new residence permit–different from and in addition to the taibaozheng–which allows people to work without a permit, study, use services that require a PRC ID (like some phone apps), access the local healthcare system, as well as schools, housing, etc. It effectively allows Taiwanese nationals to operate as PRC citizens (more or less).

And you will automatically be monitored for the ‘social credit’ system in China.

That has yet to be determined, but it is not an unreasonable assumption. It has also yet to be determined how this social credit system will be implemented in real terms and whether it actually means anything to most people. This said, it would probably not be prudent for a staunch independentist or religious activist to apply for such a card. (Those types tend to avoid the Mainland, anyhow.)