Unsanitary Conditions

Not sure if I should post this here, or in the health area. Anyway, the private school I currently work for (I will leave after the semester) has had a few health issues. One of the main factors in this, IMO, is that they seem to lack proper bathroom cleanliness. I am not saying this in a cultural way either. The girls room has had it’s water cut off (for various reasons: swimming pool, etc.) at least 3 times in the last 3 months. This leads to kids washing their hands in the drinking water (no soap of coarse). Also, there is often no soap in either the boys or girls rooms, and TP is often lacking as well.

If it was a one-time thing, I wouldn’t be too worried, but this is now becoming all too regular. We even had a 4th grade and a 5th grade homeroom miss a week of school due to catching a virus and being forced to stay at home.

A few of us have complained, but it seems to do no good. Is there any kind of health board to contact?

If it concerns you that much, I would tell your boss that you will be notifying the ministry of education. This may cause your boss to get things taken care of, as his school might have several labor violations as well. Either way, you can contact the city and they will take care of it. If you are in Taipei, call 1999. They have English speaking operators and they will tell you who to notify or take care of it for you.

If the school is in Taipei, you might try calling the Taipei City Government Department of Health’s Business Establishment Consumer Complaint Hotline: 2759-2316.

My school started penny-pinching a while ago. No soap, dirty toilets, floors, etc. I didn’t say a word. Simply went out and bought soap and detergent. Came in early one morning and started cleaning the bathrooms. The bosses started screeching and asked me what I was doing. I replied that the school was obviously short of cash, and I was just trying to help out a little. Help them with the financial burden. They were so fucking embarrassed. Haha! Loss of face and all that rubbish. Within a week the bathrooms were repainted and are now cleaned twice daily. Cost me a few hundred dollars. Priceless.

That’s bloody brilliant, man. :notworthy:

Thank for the numbers.

And yes, all the foreign teachers have bought their own soap, but nothing seems to embarrass this place. Oh well.

Is this school by any chance in the Xinyi district in the same road as a (in)famous foreign-owned watering hole and a posh hotel?

No, it’s a private school (not buxiban), and I made the mistake of thinking that working at an actual school would be better than working at a buxiban. I was wrong. More hours for the same pay. More annoying and ludicrous administrative horse manure for the same pay. And, at least my old buxibans actually had soap and T.P. in the bathrooms (and even running water!!!).

Lesson learned.

No, it’s a private school (not buxiban), and I made the mistake of thinking that working at an actual school would be better than working at a buxiban. I was wrong. More hours for the same pay. More annoying and ludicrous administrative horse manure for the same pay. And, at least my old buxibans actually had soap and T.P. in the bathrooms (and even running water!!!).

Lesson learned.[/quote]

The school I’m thinking of is a private elemantary school in Taipei City…

Lesson learned.[/quote]

The school I’m thinking of is a private elemantary school in Taipei City…[/quote]

This one isn’t in Xinyi, so I guess maybe they are all the same.

My school is filthy and they don’t provide toilet paper. Soap dispenser is always out of soap. Stikyball is STICKY.

Help me.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]My school is filthy and they don’t provide toilet paper. Soap dispenser is always out of soap. Stikyball is STICKY.

Help me.[/quote]

Bring your own soap and keep one’s own sticky balls within easy reach…

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Bring your own soap and keep one’s own sticky balls within easy reach…[/quote]
I carry soap with me everywhere for my stinky balls.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]My school is filthy and they don’t provide toilet paper. Soap dispenser is always out of soap. Stikyball is STICKY.

Help me.[/quote]

Bring your own soap and keep one’s own sticky balls within easy reach…[/quote]

I bring my own soap for me, what about their hands?

I don’t want them touching my nice clean stickyball with thier little unwashed unsoapped hands.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

I don’t want them touching my nice clean stickyball with their little unwashed unsoapped hands.[/quote]
So take them to the bathroom to wash their unclean hands. 30 minutes of your time, and you’ll be PAID for it!

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

I don’t want them touching my nice clean stickyball with their little unwashed unsoapped hands.[/quote]
So take them to the bathroom to wash their unclean hands. 30 minutes of your time, and you’ll be PAID for it![/quote]

There is no soap or toilet paper there.

I noticed you live in Sanchong. Is it true the children there are monsters?

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

There is no soap or toilet paper there.

I noticed you live in Sanchong. Is it true the children there are monsters?[/quote]
I personally buy the toilet paper and soap for the school to make the grotty fuckers lose face. Trust me, it really embarrasses them.
Generally Sanchong kids are pretty angelic in my experience. Mostly working-class hierarchic backgrounds so they know where the power lies.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

So take them to the bathroom to wash their unclean hands. 30 minutes of your time, and you’ll be PAID for it![/quote]

I’ve done this. We had two homerooms out for 10 days each due to catching hand, foot and mouth disease, so before every class started I would march them to the bathrooms (girls and boys to the boys room since the girls room didn’t have running water) and they all had to wash up coming into the classroom.

Share the soap.
:grandpa:

And hey, jimipresley:
Nice to see you got your avatars worked out.
 :bravo:

Yep. We decided to take things into our own hands after we saw how the kids would wash their hands.

So we have huge bottles of liquid soap, large piles of paper towels and lots of running water and sinks. We try to insist that kids wash their hands when they come to the buxiban…

One of the things that surprised me: kids knew how to wash their hands, but (IMHO) didn’t often have the facilities… (how many restaurants/schools/etc. just don’t provide TP or soap!)… Another was the reaction of several teachers: one thought it was so WASTEFUL of paper towels (should have asked her if she wanted to volunteer to wash the cloth ones), and another said “Oh, just use cleaning alcohol, it’s cheaper”… I quickly ignored both of them… but I was shocked.

Then my wife’s cousin washed her hands before dinner… she didn’t bother to use soap… I immediately sent her back to the bathroom…

It’s endemic I’m afraid. All you can do is educate, persuade and insist. If it doesn’t work, just cover your own proverbial ass so you don’t have to go to the doctor’s office too often with otherwise preventable illness.

Kenneth