Unsolicited English That Is Yelled At Me From Time to Time

“Hey babyyyyyy!”

“Ho-ah Yeeew?”

And my favorite, yelled by some punk kid from his balcony:

“Fuck yeeeew.”

1 Like

I’ve received the first a few times. I can never understand that one, especially since I’ve only had it from adolescent males - do I look like a woman, or are they simply desparate?

You forgot the oft encountered ‘Hey teacher!’.

Men get "Hey baby"ed too? Really? That makes it a whole lot less offensive. They actually don’t know what disrespectful pricks they are being.

Sung to the tune of a popular and annoyong local commercial" Lao Wai! Lao Wai! Lao Wai!"

In which I sing back in Taiwanese “Wa Shee Lao Wai-Lao-Wai ! Gan li made ji Bai!”

works well in the rural areas.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]Sung to the tune of a popular and annoyong local commercial" Lao Wai! Lao Wai! Lao Wai!"

In which I sing back in Taiwanese “Wa Shee Lao Wai-Lao-Wai ! Gan li made ji Bai!”

works well in the rural areas.[/quote]

Yep, I bet that works nicely! :laughing:

HG

Don’t you just hate it when someone yells ‘go f*** a goat!’ at you? :laughing:

I used to get “I lov-u youuuuu!” from passing cars… Not recently though. Damn, I must be losing my mojo.

1 Like

“Laogong, take the trash out NOW!!” That one never fails to get on my tits.

‘Say hello to uncle/teacher …’ … duh …

Oh so true, how could I forget? I’ve lost count of the number of nephews and nieces I’ve accumulated since living in Taiwan. Though I have to say I like that one.

Good god yes. And I have told about 100000 people “WoBuShiLaoShi” to which they keep on. Once even a colleague brought his wife and son to a meeting. His wife did this to me with his son. I asked her (in Chinese) “Am I am English teacher? Do I have students?” she says “No.” I said “Then why are you calling me teacher?” She said something to the effect of foreigners are all teachers.

Yup. Nearly every time I pick up my son at school. And by little kids, not the older ones.

[quote]
Don’t you just hate it when someone yells ‘go f*** a goat!’ at you?[/quote]
Hey, don’t steal my thunder. That was my first post in the soon to arrive “Thing You Say When People Yell Unsolicited English At You” Thread.

I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked by people who should know better if I’m “going to class” (shang ke) rather than “going to work” (shang ban).

What’s worse is people, including clients at work (whom I don’t teach and where I’m not a teacher) referring to me in the third person as “teacher” instead of using the second-person pronoun “you”. So instead of saying, “I have some questions I’d like to ask you”, they say something I interpret as “I have some questions I’d like to ask my teacher”.

I think it’s a sign of respect. What greater honor than to be considered another person’s teacher? I get the same at my job, where I don’t teach classes, but it seems to be a sign of respect, so I don’t mind at all.

The toprated one is this “Haiieeeee” thing combined with kind of waving hands, as it is mostly from young girls I actually dont mind it, at least most of the time not.

Kids running infront of you, saying "Hi’ and than run away. Not that bad, but gets annoying when there is a bigger group of kids and they start it as a game and every single one needs to show of that he dares to do it.

Sometimes a “Where are you from…” which most of the time answer politly (even knowing what will come…).
Standard procedure is then:
Me: “I am from Austria.”
Asker: explains in chinese “He is from Australia”
Me: in chinese “No I am not Australian, I am Austrian”
Them: “Ah, Australia”
Me: “No, Australia, Europe, next to Germany and Italy, De gou, Yi da li…”
Most of the time my patience usually gone than but sometimes it also leads to some nice chat.

Some kids also do the “How do you do” thing. Generally I don’t mind kids that much than adults with strange stuff, I also don’t mind some kind of polite aproaches that much than just stupid stuff shouted at me to show off the 3 english words they know.

I kind of change in my way to react too, even I am just 2 years here now. I start to answer more and more in German which confuses them long enought to escape.

I get sick of teachers introducing me as the guy with a real job. It’s plain silly.

HG

You did the same thing to me the last time I saw you! :s

You did the same thing to me the last time I saw you! :s[/quote]

Wirklich? Habe ich das gemacht? Das war aber nicht gewollt, ich bitte um Verzeihung. :smiley:

Sorry, didn’t even notice I guess. Or did you yelled some strange English at me before?

It is confusing if you meet a lot of expats on one place, like last time camping. Even just about 10 people there but spoken languages were English, Chinese, German, Danish, Flemish and Afrikaans. So sitting there and hearing a “Chinese looking guy with English passport and Belgium roots speaking Flamish to an Southafrican guy who answerd in Afrikaans and kind of understanding it as German native speaker but answering in English” was a very special experience too.

I think it’s a sign of respect. What greater honor than to be considered another person’s teacher? I get the same at my job, where I don’t teach classes, but it seems to be a sign of respect, so I don’t mind at all.[/quote]

Perhaps, but it’s confusing, and halfway through the conversation, when I finally realize they’re talking about me and not someone else, I have to put my mind in reverse and reinterpret everything that’s been said thus far!

Anything from my boss.