Unwanted motorcycle -- finding the owner?

I’m looking for a creative solution to an annoying problem. A friend of mine left permanently for Germany and left me with his SYM legend 125. Being that he was not an ARC holder, he did not have the proper paperwork, and the actual owner is nowhere to be found, though not for lack of trying on my part. It’s not a particulary brilliant bike. It starts and runs well runs well, but has an indexed headset. I just want to unload it somewhere and get back the $10,000 that my buddy paid for it. I also want to get it out of my house before I leave here, but I’m not ready to just push it out onto the street and let the scavengers take it away… not yet.

Whereabouts are you? I mean, if it is in Taipei, the odds of getting nabbed for a potentially stolen bike are high, but if you are in the south, well then I guess it does have some resale value.

Be sure to ditch the plate carefully if you dump it. Somewhere, some poor schmuck is probably picking up the fines off that thing.

HG

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]I’m looking for a creative solution to an annoying problem. A friend of mine left permanently for Germany and left me with his SYM legend 125. Being that he was not an ARC holder, he did not have the proper paperwork, and the actual owner is nowhere to be found, though not for lack of trying on my part. It’s not a particulary brilliant bike. It starts and runs well runs well, but has an indexed headset. I just want to unload it somewhere and get back the $10,000 that my buddy paid for it. I also want to get it out of my house before I leave here, but I’m not ready to just push it out onto the street and let the scavengers take it away… not yet.[/quote]I don’t think there’s anything you can do, unfortunately. You’re going to have to write off that 10,000NT, unless you find someone silly enough to pay that much for an illegal and not particularly brilliant bike.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Be sure to ditch the plate carefully if you dump it. Somewhere, some poor schmuck is probably picking up the fines off that thing. [/quote]HGC’s right.
You could scrap the bike and try handing the plate into the DMV. I think they actually pay out a little cash to people who hand the plates in, though that could be paid to the registered owners only. (And chances are that outstanding fines have already more than cancelled out that amount of money).

You could go to the local DMV and track the owner down that way.

If he didn’t get the proper paperwork, then the next owner won’t have proper paperwork, and could be busted by the police for having a stolen bike. If your buddy wants his money, he’ll have to put you in contact with the person it’s registered under; get them to sell it legally to you or the next person.

Unless you’re able to track the original owner down, perhaps via the DMV, I would STRONGLY advise anyone against buying such a bike. After all, how do you know that your buddy didn’t unknowingly buy stolen goods?

It’s actually not stolen. The owner is a Brit engineer living in Taipei, who did my friend “a favor” by selling him this thing for $10,000 and letting him ride it arund on his papers.

Redwagon: Thanks for your input… finding the owner would indeed be the answer, and probably a better title for my post.

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]Redwagon: Thanks for your input… finding the owner would indeed be the answer, and probably a better title for my post.[/quote]I changed it for you.

Good luck!

The thing is, if you are caught with a bike you can’t provide papers for, then in the minds of the cops it is likely a stolen bike. Now if you think about it, this English engineeer is very likley to have squealed the instant he got hit with a fine, for example. What’s the easiest way out of a fine? Report the bike stolen.

A friend of mind had over NT$100,000 in unpaid fines on his bike, do you know how many there are on yours? You can check with the DMV online.

HG

Hey - HGC, do you have an address for checking the outstanding fines on a bike?

Nah, sorry, it was on the government website, I think the Ministry of transport’s, which is here:

motc.gov.tw/hypage.cgi?HYPAGE=index.htm but having a quick look now I didn’t spot it.

Might be best to ask a Taiwanese colleague or friend.

HG

I can only think that you might consider selling it as parts to perhaps bikefarm or another bike shop. You might consider breaking it up yourself and selling them on ebay, I see a bit of that going on.

We have the paperwork, it has the guy’s Chinese name on it, and his English name is Spencer something or other. Last good address for the bike is in Kaohsiung Ling Ya district, and the insurance expired in April of '95. I hate dealing with other people’s unwanted problems.

Edit/update:

Called the DMV today and found out that this Spencer guy’s identity and new adress info is protected.
Maybe it’s time to invite HGC over to help me dump this thing into the canal.