Up Sh*t Creek without a debit card

I have a card from Changhua Bank. As well as ATM and smart chip functions, it’s a Mastercard. Mostly I use it for online payments. Regarding the Mastercard, the money is debited directly from my account each month. I call it a debit card but apparently the bank define it as a credit card.

To get the card, I had to get a guarantor. I complained, but that was the only way. Now, I’ve had the account for five years and the card for two, without any problems at all. You’d think I’d be a low risk for the bank, right?

Apparently not. They phoned me up yesterday to tell me that my guarantor is having credit problems and that I need to find someone else to sign. But I don’t want to ask anyone to do that, as it’s really an imposition. So I guess it’s goodbye Changhua Bank. But that means I’m a bit stuck as I really need online payment facilities. I have a few questions and would be very grateful in anyone can give any tips.

1 I don’t think the card has been put on hold, and it’s definitely not cancelled yet. Do you think I’m OK to use it right now to put some money in my Paypal account and buy a couple of books I need online? Surely I wouldn’t be accused of fraud or anything?

2 What are my longterm options?
a) Are there any local banks which offer a proper debit card, with no guarantor needed? I checked some old threads, but information seems contradictory and out of date
b) If that’s not possible, how about a credit card with no guarantor? I don’t want to borrow money but if that’s the only way to get online payment facilities, I’ll do it.
c) What are the chances of getting a credit card from my UK bank delivered here? I’ll have to ask them myself I guess but does anyone have experience of this?
d) Do you reckon I could set up a UK HSBC credit card account and get the card delivered to an HSBC branch here?
e) Anyone want to be my guarantor? :wink:

Cheers for any advice.

To answer some of 2.

a and b)Don’t even bother with Chinatrust, they don’t do it.

c)My Australian bank will only do this if I first go into a branch of the bank, in Australia, and sign a form authorising it. Which kind of defeats the purpose, because if I could walk into a branch in Australia, I wouldn’t need a credit card sent here. Not sure about the UK, but don’t hold your breath waiting.

Your best option of getting up-to-date information is probably if you just walk into every bank you pass by and ask. Woudn’t be surprised if you get a different answer depending on the branch you go, though I guess out of convenience you want to bank near your apartment or place of work.

That being said try Taipei Fubon Bank first. Can’t vouch that you won’t need a guarantor but they gave me a new ATM card that has a debit function (VISA) after the merger with Taipei Bank (didn’t ask for it, they “forced” it on me). There is a monthly limit of NTD30000 on the VISA thing, and you must have a positive balance in your account to use it. Dunno if they offer online services though …

Thanks for the replies, Craig and Rascal.

[quote=“Rascal”]That being said try Taipei Fubon Bank first. Can’t vouch that you won’t need a guarantor but they gave me a new ATM card that has a debit function (VISA) after the merger with Taipei Bank (didn’t ask for it, they “forced” it on me). There is a monthly limit of NTD30000 on the VISA thing, and you must have a positive balance in your account to use it. Dunno if they offer online services though …[/quote]Have you actually used the VISA facility? It seems that lots of cards here have a VISA logo on, but it’s not really a full VISA service; the number’s not embossed, there’s not a security code on the signature strip, and you can’t use it online. In fact I don’t know what the VISA logo is supposed to mean in that case.

So, what do people think about my proposed immediate stopgap measure of using my current card to get some money into my Paypal account? I wouldn’t have thought that would be doing anything wrong, but I don’t really trust the bank.

The only time I used my Taipei Fubon Visa what when I embarrassingly was out of $ at a gas pump. I handed the guy my Visa and we were happy. I will try adding it to my Taiwan Paypal and see how if goes. But I have to update my address there first, so don’t hold your breath.

And I have no monthly fees on any of my Taiwan bank accounts.

Taipei Fubon gave me a visa debit card, no questions asked, a couple of months ago.

Chinatrust is a waste of time.

HSBC gave me a visa credit card a few years ago, but I did rather kick up a fuss to get it. If you’re a customer of theirs in the UK and also have a credit history in Taiwan then it might be worth talking to them. Having a big pile of money in the bank will help. (They’ve also, just this year, introduced a policy limiting the validity of the card to the time left on your ARC. The offical regulation requiring them to do this was revoked at about the same time they got around to introducing it.)

Loretta wrote: [quote]Taipei Fubon gave me a visa debit card, no questions asked, a couple of months ago. [/quote]

I have one but the bank told me I couldn’t use it for internet purchases. Have you used yours?

I have one but the bank told me I couldn’t use it for internet purchases. Have you used yours?[/quote]I have a so-called Visa debit card from Mega Bank, but the number isn’t embossed and I can’t use it online. I really don’t see what the point of the Visa logo is in that case.

I have used it but in a shop or two in Taiwan only. No idea if it’s good for making purchases online or using it internationally, which seems what you need.
(I didn’t understand your OP that way at first, I thought you just wanted to do online payments via the account itself and have a debit function for local use.)

But I think it should be no problem of getting a CC from the UK as long as the bank there is willing to issue it. The problem is probably getting it delivered to a branch here (not certain on this, just thinking of how difficult the banks here are to deal with). Maybe you can opt for delivery directly to your apartment or place of work?

I avoid all this shit by using my NZ credit card. I have a postal address in NZ (parents) which is my official billing address. When i need a new card, it gets sent to there, and it’s posted up. But, when I LOST my card recently, I called the bank and said I am currently living overseas, so could they courier it to me directly. They did. I cost me about $20US but they did it. I had to spend about 20 mins on the phone doing a pin number validation thing along with checking up on all my details for verification that it was actually me.

Oh, I mentioned a while ago I have used this credit card to send me stuff from Amazon, for example, and people didn’t believe me.

Well, I did it again last week. Amazon have the option to specify a delivery address that differs from the billing address. The key is you have to enter the billing address ALSO, which is where some people might get confused. Now that I think about it, I’ve ordered stuff from Amazon and got it sent to me outside of NZ using my NZ credit card since about 2001.

Slightly off topic, but that might be handy information for some people wanting to get stuff here.
(I got 2 books and the shipping/handing from the US to here was $16USD. Took about a week - bloody brilliant.)

[quote=“Rascal”]But I think it should be no problem of getting a CC from the UK as long as the bank there is willing to issue it. The problem is probably getting it delivered to a branch here (not certain on this, just thinking of how difficult the banks here are to deal with). Maybe you can opt for delivery directly to your apartment or place of work?[/quote]Yeah, I might have to do that. I’ve been meaning to transfer some money over there anyway, and although the exchange rate’s no good, I don’t know when it will get any better.

[quote=“Truant”]Oh, I mentioned a while ago I have used this credit card to send me stuff from Amazon, for example, and people didn’t believe me.

Well, I did it again last week. Amazon have the option to specify a delivery address that differs from the billing address. The key is you have to enter the billing address ALSO, which is where some people might get confused. Now that I think about it, I’ve ordered stuff from Amazon and got it sent to me outside of NZ using my NZ credit card since about 2001.

Slightly off topic, but that might be handy information for some people wanting to get stuff here.
(I got 2 books and the shipping/handing from the US to here was $16USD. Took about a week - bloody brilliant.)[/quote]Right. Amazon’s great. My Changhua Bank card’s billing address is still my old address, but I’ve got stuff delivered to Taipei with no problems.

In fact there’s a book I really want to get from Amazon now. As Changhua Bank haven’t cancelled the card and are just waiting for me to provide a new guarantor, I guess it should be alright. But maybe I’d better try and talk to them before pressing the button.

[quote=“joesax”]I have a card from Changhua (Zhanghua) Bank. As well as ATM and smart chip functions, it’s a Mastercard. Mostly I use it for online payments. Regarding the Mastercard, the money is debited directly from my account each month. I call it a debit card but apparently the bank define it as a credit card.

To get the card, I had to get a guarantor. I complained, but that was the only way. Now, I’ve had the account for five years and the card for two, without any problems at all. You’d think I’d be a low risk for the bank, right?

Apparently not. They phoned me up yesterday to tell me that my guarantor is having credit problems and that I need to find someone else to sign. But I don’t want to ask anyone to do that, as it’s really an imposition. So I guess it’s goodbye Changhua (Zhanghua) Bank. But that means I’m a bit stuck as I really need online payment facilities. I have a few questions and would be very grateful in anyone can give any tips.

1 I don’t think the card has been put on hold, and it’s definitely not cancelled yet. Do you think I’m OK to use it right now to put some money in my Paypal account and buy a couple of books I need online? Surely I wouldn’t be accused of fraud or anything?

2 What are my longterm options?
a) Are there any local banks which offer a proper debit card, with no guarantor needed? I checked some old threads, but information seems contradictory and out of date
b) If that’s not possible, how about a credit card with no guarantor? I don’t want to borrow money but if that’s the only way to get online payment facilities, I’ll do it.
c) What are the chances of getting a credit card from my UK bank delivered here? I’ll have to ask them myself I guess but does anyone have experience of this?
d) Do you reckon I could set up a UK HSBC credit card account and get the card delivered to an HSBC branch here?
e) Anyone want to be my guarantor? :wink:

Cheers for any advice.[/quote]

I have a Visa credit card from Citibank with no guarantor but I had to show earnings and deposit GBP5,000 in a 6-month bond with them. They said if I wasn’t self employed they would have accepted an account history in Taiwan plus proof of wages. Take your documents along and give 'em a try! I can always put you in touch with my contact at the Taichung branch. Once you do get an account with them they’re generally pretty good and have helped me out a few times while abroad.

Chinatrust claim not to offer an open policy on credit cards for foreigners, but in practise it’s impossible to get anything out of them. No matter how much money you put in your account for however long or whatever documentation you give, they tell you that you ‘unfortunately don’t meet the required criteria’. At least Citibank tell you what the required criteria are so you feel like you’re not just getting screwed around to make use of a checking account you otherwise wouldn’t bother with.

The address listed on my UK NatWest accounts is in Taiwan and I receive all my statements, cards etc. directly to my Taichung address. They’ve been fantastic about fitting in with my expat status and I can’t recommend them enough for Brits in Taiwan.

PS - I forgot to mention, it’s easy to find virtual office addresses in the UK for no more than about GBP20 per month that will handle, filter and forward all your mail from a normal UK address to anywhere in the world. It’s great being able to shuffle all over the place and only ever have to change one forwarding address (which I can do by email/phone/fax). Google your way to mailing happiness!

I got a credit card from ABN AMRO and a debit card from Taipei Fubon without any questions asked. Avoid Chinatrust.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I got a credit card from ABN AMRO and a debit card from Taipei Fubon.[/quote]No guarantor needed? Is the Fubon one the kind you can use online? Which branch of Fubon was it anyway? Can’t be bothered with fussing around but if it really is that easy I’ll give it a try.

Regarding my first question, it turns out that Changhua Bank are giving me another week to use the card before they suspend it. So it’s spend, spend, spend (at least on boring stuff such as Paypal credit and a PDA case from the UK for the new PDA I’ll be getting at some point).

Try Union Bank of Taiwan.

When I opened an account there for work, they didn’t even ask me if I wanted a regular ATM card or VISA Debit card… my guess is that their regular ATM card also acts as a VISA Debit.

Not sure how the bank treats foreigners as I’m TWnese too, though I don’t see how they would require a guarantor as there’s no real risk to the bank as the funds need to be in your account for the card to work anyway.

[quote=“frokky”]Try Union Bank of Taiwan.

When I opened an account there for work, they didn’t even ask me if I wanted a regular ATM card or VISA Debit card… my guess is that their regular ATM card also acts as a VISA Debit.

Not sure how the bank treats foreigners as I’m TWnese too, though I don’t see how they would require a guarantor as there’s no real risk to the bank as the funds need to be in your account for the card to work anyway.[/quote]Cheers, but I suspect it’s the same kind of card as the so-called “Visa debit” card I have from Mega Bank; i.e. one that can’t be used online.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“frokky”]Try Union Bank of Taiwan.

Not sure how the bank treats foreigners as I’m TWnese too, though I don’t see how they would require a guarantor as there’s no real risk to the bank as the funds need to be in your account for the card to work anyway.[/quote]Cheers, but I suspect it’s the same kind of card as the so-called “Visa debit” card I have from Mega Bank; i.e. one that can’t be used online.[/quote]

I just checked the back and it has the three digit security number. I also asked bank staff whether it could be used online and they said yes… (if that has any weight in TW). I haven’t tried it myself yet so can’t be sure.

[quote=“frokky”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“frokky”]Try Union Bank of Taiwan.

Not sure how the bank treats foreigners as I’m TWnese too, though I don’t see how they would require a guarantor as there’s no real risk to the bank as the funds need to be in your account for the card to work anyway.[/quote]Cheers, but I suspect it’s the same kind of card as the so-called “Visa debit” card I have from Mega Bank; i.e. one that can’t be used online.[/quote]

I just checked the back and it has the three digit security number. I also asked bank staff whether it could be used online and they said yes… (if that has any weight in TW). I haven’t tried it myself yet so can’t be sure.[/quote]Thanks for the reply. Does the card say “electronic use only”? And are the numbers embossed? If the answers are “yes” and “no” respectively I think you can’t use it online.

I’ve used my Taipei Fubon Visa debit card for online purchases. I just enter the numbers like a regular credit card. I’ll tell you that much about my credit card, but you won’t get any more details about my account from me.