Upcoming Elections

It seems only yesterday that Taiwan was having elections for Legislators. Thinking back, that was December 2001.

Now I see more and more campaigning going on. When are the next elections and what positions are they for?

Has Taiwan’s democracy now matured to the point where foreigners can participate in election rallies, speak on the podium, accept newspaper interviews with opinions about the candidates, or not? Can anyone clarify the current situation?

Well, they had those elections for local councils 1-2 weeks ago and not all the banners have been taken down yet.

Actually, constant campaining has been the order of the day since last October.

I have been asked to stand on the podium during a rally during the next lizhang election campain. He would believe that it’s no problem, but some time ago you mentioned that people may be deported for doing so, so I think that I’ll decline the offer.

Is that how you judge the maturity of Taiwan’s election process, by whether foreigners are allowed to contribute to campaigns? Surely there are better measures.

Didn’t Clinton/Gore get into a bit of trouble for accepting campaign donations and other help from Chinese sources?

Next elections are Dec. 6, for the mayorships of the Taipei and Kaohsiung special municipalities and (I think) for city councillors in both places.

In reality, the next elections are on March 20, for the Presidency of Taiwan – what the world community considers to be a “democratic Chinese non-state.”

Just curious, why are people adding to topics that went fallow back in 2002 instead of starting new ones for current events like this week’s elections?? I’ve noticed RH has done this to several, as have a couple of other people.

You are in big trouble now…Wildman Hartzell knows where you live[color=red]
!
[/color]

For those of you who are statistically oriented, you might be interested in the following from the December 7, 202 elections for mayors and speculate whether it means anything for this Saturday:

Kaohsiung
Frank Hsieh (DPP) 50.04%
Huang Jun-ying (KMT) 46.82%
Turnout: 71.38%

Taipei
Ma Ying-jeuo (KMT) 64.11%
Lee Ying-yuan (DPP) 35.83%
Turnout: 70.60%

Turnout should be about 10% higher for this election. Who does higher turnout favor? Probably the DPP, no?

You are in big trouble now…Wildman Hartzell knows where you live[color=red]
!
[/color][/quote]
'S’okay, he be kewl. :notworthy:

Not a big deal, just wondering why these old threads are getting revived. Having been reminded of one thanks to this trend, I did the same thing myself with the old “look up usernames with Google Image Search” thread, since a friend sent me some pictures of creative costumes.

I’d say it would favour Lien-Soong. My impression is that the DPP supporters tend to be those who care deeply about Taiwan and doing the right thing, have a much higher sense of civic duty, and are more likely to cast their votes no matter what obstacles are put in their way. In contrast, people who are barely interested in or have a minimal understanding of what is truly at stake in this election are more likely to be swayed by the pan-blue lies and propaganda or be willing to trade their vote to whoever makes an offer or threat for it, and therefore are much more likely to vote for Lien-Soong if they actually make the effort to go to the polling station.

Anyone expecting rioting in the streets? More than a few Taiwanese friends have told me to be careful Saturday night. They tell me this with a bit of a maniacal look in their eyes, which makes me think folks are sort of hoping there will be riots.

If, by a miracle of good sense from the Taiwanese electorate, the Chen-Lu ticket emerges victorious, I have little doubt we’ll see a repetition of the pro-Soong disturbances that erupted after the 2000 election, no doubt well stoked up by agents provocateurs sent by Beijing.

But if the electorate shames itself by voting Lien and Soong into power, as I fully expect them to, then I’m sure all will peaceful except for the celebrating mobs of pan-blue supporters setting off firecrackers and noisily expressing the kind of mean-spirited triumphalism that has characterized their rallies in this campaign.

the pro-Song post election protest rallies last time was directed against Lee Denghui, I think that james Soong will use his goons against Lian Zhan, if they loose.

Against Chen? Would look great, and the police could get a prime chance to do some demonstration breaking and hopefully give them a good bashing. (I don’t think that the soong supporters will be hurt if hit by a police baton, after all, they are a rather thick-skulled lot :smiling_imp: )

There were no riots after the 2000 election.
A small group of conspiracy theorists/radically uninformed camped out at the Presidential Office (I believe) and protested loudly until after a couple of days without sleep, they went home.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]There were no riots after the 2000 election.
A small group of conspiracy theorists/radically uninformed camped out at the Presidential Office (I believe) and protested loudly until after a couple of days without sleep, they went home.[/quote]

It was in front of the KMT headquarters and around the CKS Memorial, actually. But it was just a disturbance rather than a riot. At times it did look as if it could get out of hand and become something much worse, and some of the participants duffed up KMT elders like former vice premier Hsu Li-teh. One of them even landed a well-aimed egg on Mayor Ma, but he took a beating from the Soongites who recognised Ma as one of their own.

From the AP via China Times:

(2004/03/19)
High過頭 昏了…
總統大選進入最後階段,由於選情實在激烈,某位陣營支持者在車隊經過後,由於過於激情竟然昏倒在地。(美聯社)

I just want to know what happened to her shoes???

Annette needs to be in the ring – I bet she can kick all their asses!

photo.chinatimes.com/photofile/n … oday.htm#6

Let me guess, the woman on the ground is doing her own version of Jimbo, but is instead kissing the sky…

Yea exactly what is that woman doing? Her way of showing support? Hmmm… :s

My expectation for the result of today’s election is that the Lien-Soong ticket will receive 51% of the votes and Chen-Lu just 49%.

Anyone else have a different forecast?