Updating your ARC without waiting 2 Weeks

I visited the NIA office in Taipei just today morning, and they let me keep my ARC until I pickup the new one. I didn’t ask if I can keep it or not.

I did not have all the documents with my either, so I was told I can fax them later. The one I was missing was address proof(the address on my ARC is old, I moved about 10 months ago)

So anyway, was quite easy and only took about 15 minutes to get it all sorted out(except the address proof I will fax later today)

I am on a marriage ARC.

1 Like

Please note that you are required to update the address on your ARC within 15 days after you move. They could, in theory, fine you.

Yes, I know. The lady at NIA reminded me as well to date my moving to within the last 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I called the NIA today and the women confirmed you can keep your ARC whilst they create the new one, and then exchange the old ARC for the new one when it is ready to be collected. I asked her if it was a new policy, she seemed to think they have always done it that way, but I think she is mistaken.

1 Like

Can you specify which NIA office? Taipei, New Taipei, Tainan…

I can confirm my APRC was taken away during renewal. Very inconvenient.

Taipei. Which office took it away? How long ago?

It’s definitely a new thing.
New Taipei City certainly confiscated (and may still do) the old one routinely while processing the new one.
It seems you can ask them to hold onto it.
Also being allowed to fax in the copy without the original …New.

But if you are travelling overseas you need to be careful to have a ‘live’ ARC.

Might be they need to be more strict with the riff raff residing outside of Taipei.

What is the point of taking away your old ARC card while you wait for the new one?

There’s lots of immigration regulations and procedures that have no point. There’s nothing unusual about that!

1 Like

New Taipei. About 4 months ago or so.

I guess it is an APRC / JFVC thing.

When updating information on your ARC, is there any fee you have to pay?

No

I’ve always done it that way.