Upgrading the Memory on a Macbook

I need extra storage on my Macbook. I’m thinking about 250GB would be nice. How do I do this? Will the store take care of it for me (so I don’t lose anything)? And how much would it cost?

I tried the Apple store at Bade/Civic, but they haven’t called me back about it.

Cheers!

The easiest thing to do would be to buy an external firewire drive enclosure and a drive of your choice.

I “upgraded” my old ibook a long time ago with the apple guys you mentioned and the cost was about 5000 for an 80 gb drive. I’m not sure if the macbook will take a big drive like that internally. Be expensive, for sure. Not something I would do myself, either. Also, are you concerned about your applecare and stuff like that?

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]The easiest thing to do would be to buy an external firewire drive enclosure and a drive of your choice.

I “upgraded” my old ibook a long time ago with the apple guys you mentioned and the cost was about 5000 for an 80 gb drive. I’m not sure if the macbook will take a big drive like that internally. Be expensive, for sure. Not something I would do myself, either. Also, are you concerned about your applecare and stuff like that?[/quote]

Apparently the Macbook can take a 250GB drive internally, though I may be wrong.

What’s applecare?

Sean,
Just go down to the Apple store on Bade and they will do it right there for you. I bought a macbook there with an 80GB harddrive and then went back in a week later and had them swap it for a 120GB one… for a price of course, but they only charged me for the harddrive, not the labor. They are pretty busy in there so don’t expect them to return a phone call. best time to go is in the morning when they open. Dont park on the sidewalk out front though… while i was getting my new HD, my scooter got towed. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]

What’s applecare?[/quote]

The three-year warranty you can purchase for your Mac.

You don’t need to go to the apple store at all. Go buy a 2.5 SATA notebook hard drive, any size you want and install it yourself. Changing it is sooooo simple. The hard drive they will try to sell you at the apple store is over priced. The only people who go there and buy it, is the people that have no idea about technology.

It’s a 3 screw job. Watch this video to see how easy it is: youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

Or read this from apple: manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBoo … ve_DIY.pdf

Cool! Thanks!

Now, what do I do about the stuff on my current hard drive? How do I get that onto my new drive (the easiest and safest way possible)?

Cheers!

The guys at the apple store on Bade will transfer it all for ya.

Install the new drive. Take your discs that came with your Macbook and install the OS. Next put the old hard drive into an external case. Connect via USB and transfer the files over, either manually or using the program(forgot the name, transfer wizard or something like that) that comes with the OS, so you don’t have to buy anything or install the program.

Or you can backup your files to CD/DVD or thumb drive and then transfer it that way.

I can help you with anything you need. I am off of work next week. Let me know.

Well golly, that was almost painless.

My one year old Macbook drowned in a puddle of indiscreet typhoon rain leakage last weekend, and I was forced to replace it next day. Option one, as I was in a hurry and needed to work the following day was to plug my fortunately surviving hard disk into the new machine. Presto! Guys in the shop had me back in action in the time it took to devour a coffee.

I noticed some minor lumps in the ointment and so today the lads transferred the data from the old hard disk to the new one loaded with Leopard. I took it home and plugged it in and it’s like the old machine, but better. Superbly seamless.

My old Macbook was the then top of the range, and yet while I only opted for the intermediate level new machine (13-inch 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 165meg and 2meg RAM), it seems way faster. The best thing is having absolutely nothing to do with loading crap and preferences all over again.

:notworthy:

Bravo Macpeople, this really is the way to go.

HG

For some reason, this is making me giggle like a twelve year old schoolgirl.

[quote=“Frost”]You don’t need to go to the apple store at all. Go buy a 2.5 SATA notebook hard drive, any size you want and install it yourself. Changing it is sooooo simple. The hard drive they will try to sell you at the apple store is over priced. The only people who go there and buy it, is the people that have no idea about technology.

It’s a 3 screw job. Watch this video to see how easy it is: youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

Or read this from apple: manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBoo … ve_DIY.pdf[/quote]

Are you sure about that? I have the 3-year Apple Care and if you change anything like that it by yourself, it voids your warranty.

I want to dive in and upgrade my MBP to more than the 80GB it came with, but am afraid that if I mess something up the warranty goes bye bye.

[quote=“Frost”]You don’t need to go to the apple store at all. Go buy a 2.5 SATA notebook hard drive, any size you want and install it yourself. Changing it is sooooo simple. The hard drive they will try to sell you at the apple store is over priced. The only people who go there and buy it, is the people that have no idea about technology.
[/quote]

Could I upgrade it to a 1T SATA hard drive. I’m itching for more GBs as I’m working with lots of video.