Uploading to Youtube

So I have a Flip Mino recorder and I’m trying to upload to Youtube. It’s fucking crap. It takes absolutely AGES and when its finally done, the quality is utterly shite. They look nice on my computer, but then they compress it or something for the website, which makes it basically not worth watching. Is it just that Youtube is crap or am I doing something wrong?

There is an option for showing high quality vids…Mordeth uses this feature. Otherwise, yes, Youtube compresses videos to the point that they look pretty crappy.

And yes, it takes a long time to upload videos to Youtube, and the subsequent rendering process takes just as long. Patience, my young Padawan!

I’ve had the same problem with YouTube. It’s hit and miss. I have NO problems with flickr, though - you’re just limited to 90 seconds of video, is all. But hey, who wants to watch more than 90 seconds of baby videos at a time, though? :laughing:

Try Vimeo. Their quality is good. Or mdialog. If you have a Mac, you can use IMovie to upload, which I’ve found to be faster than doing it directly on Youtube.

I agree with all the above, I’ve heard from many people (even a reviewer of the new Flip Mino HD!) saying the quality on Youtube came out badly.

Many professional video podcasters are recommending Viddler.com and that also has some cool features like people being able to add their comments at specific time points, so give that a shot.

Alex

Nama, when you do it through iMovie, does YouTube keep the quality? Or does it compress the file?

Nama, when you do it through iMovie, does YouTube keep the quality? Or does it compress the file?[/quote]

Youtube compresses all files because it only allows, AFAIK, 100MB to be uploaded and it wants the video to be 320x240 30fps(frames per second).The quality will probably be a little less because of the compression but not as bad if you use Youtube directly. Miltownkid uses a flipvid camera and uploads a lot of videos to his channel and the quality is good. I don’t know how he uploads.

So, when you use Imovie, I believe it compresses it for you as it uploads. You can use MPEG Stremclip, or ISquint to also compress your videos.

I looked on the Flip video webpage, and it says there’s a program bundled with the camera for uploading. Are you using that Sandman? If so, what are the results? Or experience with using the program?

[quote]I looked on the Flip video webpage, and it says there’s a program bundled with the camera for uploading. Are you using that Sandman? If so, what are the results? Or experience with using the program?

[/quote]
That’s what I used. Utter shite. As I said, the problem so far is only with You’reCrap, not the other hosting sites I’ve tried.