Upper age for legally teaching English in Taiwan

What is the absolute upper age for finding an English teaching job in Taiwan and the upper age to which you can continue teaching English.

A few days ago I met a 74 year old guy who recently quit teaching English in Taiwan. He said he had to quit because his voice couldn’t take it anymore.

7 Likes

For teachers at public schools, 65yo.

1 Like

Same for universities, even private ones.

I think that because there’s a mandatory retirement age? That’s what someone told me once. They won’t hire you after 65 because that’s when you’re supposed to start collecting your pension

After that you’re shit outta luck.

I think the larger issue would be convincing a school to hire you in your 60s or later. But, who knows, anything’s possible I suppose.

I’ve worked with a woman who we guessed was in her late 60s and a guy who told me he was 70, so it’s possible. Would be a challenge to land a gig, though. Teaching adults it might be an advantage. I wouldn’t have any problem taking language lessons with an older teacher, in fact I’d probably prefer it.

3 Likes

A lot of adult language schools generally only hire older teachers. More experience and less flakey workers in their opinion.

3 Likes

Yeah, I personally am not sure how much energy I would have to deal with kids as a teacher in my 60s and 70s (hopefully my retirement plan works out and that won’t be necessary). Adults would be the way to go.

1 Like

There are a lot of older people teaching kids. Many schools as previously mentioned feel safer than hiring the younger pot smoker types (just having a little troll) :wink:

3 Likes

Is there an upper age ? I thought as long as you can fog a mirror and someone actually hires you ?

Actual heartbeat. Check. You have prospects. Yes, I guess that does exclude Dick Cheney.

Did he get the job at 70… or had he just been there for ages? Many people will stick around for years and their company might like them and be reluctant to let them go unless they have to… but it’s a different story if you’re asking whether a company will hire a senior citizen fresh off the boat. Even if experience/qualifications are superior, most employers won’t hire a 60+ applicant over a 20 something or 30 something.

FWIW, my uni forcibly retires instructors from full-time positions at 65, but they can still teach part-time after (I think as long as they’re able/willing).

1 Like

I’m not sure about his history. The woman in her 60s came over to visit her son who was teaching, and ended up staying and teaching at the same school.

1 Like

That’s simultaneously sweet and incredibly awkward.

1 Like

I think in life if you break 80, you have won - just saying.

3 Likes

2 Likes

in that age singing the ABCs is a not an option. but if you focus on adults and do business english, presentations etc its possible and lucrative.
preparing for university entrance exams is also quite lucrative, a friend of mine focused on that and charged 2000nt an hour (he did only 1 on 1 privates). He taught everything, how to deal with the math, English vocabulary and writing essays, so it was good for the kids.
pls note he also put in work to prepare the one on one classes and solve the mock tests with them. could be good money, but you need to come prepared.

1 Like

In other words you can’t be lazy, however being old and lazy just means you die. :wink: