Upper age limit?

Is there an upper age limit after which they will not grant any type of work visa? Even if experienced? Or do you just apply and take your chances.

Can a 60 year old start out one more time, but in Taiwan?

Welcome!

I saw this, but others may know the specifics.

http://www.eslinsider.com/blog/age-limit-teaching-english-in-asia

https://youtu.be/dEjXPY9jOx8

Taiwan is hot, but not as cool as Miami, Detective Crockett.

1 Like

Now, who could wish for a better welcome than that!

Freeze, Miami Vice!

If you want to teach English in Asia and you are over 60, your best bet is to actually visit schools in person. There are countless ESL schools all over Asia, only a fraction of which actually advertise online. If you are already living legally in the country where you want to teach and you can demonstrate to schools through an in-person interview that you are up to the demands of being an ESL teacher, then you will have a much better shot at landing a job.

Certain countries are also much more likely to hire teachers who are over 60. Cambodia, Taiwan, and, to a certain extent, Vietnam are all good places to look if you are a mature applicant.

–
:point_up_2: Got that from an English teaching website.
I hope others chime in, because I know someone nearing 60, who is also considering teaching English in Taiwan at some bushiban.

@Crockett, you been to Taiwan before?
Decided on a city yet?

no. I know some people invited after their retirement in their home country at their 60s.

1 Like

You’re at a disadvantage, but it’s not impossible.

However, I think there’s forced retirement at … 65? Anyone want to clarify about that?

employers can force retirement for their employees at 65, but if your employer doesn’t force you, you don’t need to retire.

1 Like

Reassuring at least that it’s not just a young person’s game.

Visited a few times as I live in Hong Kong, like the comparative laid back-ness of Taichung, also Kaohsiung.

Yeah, I may be headed for the 60 year old exit door here and I’d rather make that decision to retire myself when I’m ready.

I live in Kaohsiung. It’s hot, but relaxed compared to Taipei. Also more job opportunities than the north.

Good luck!

a lot of adult English schools only hire older teachers due to their reliability and experience. The kid bushibans not as much but it’s still quite possible

One of my colleagues is actually 58, and this is his first teaching gig in Taiwan, so it’s definitely doable.
I think, generally speaking, the farther south you go (or the more rural you go) the better your chances of landing a job will be…

Good and encouraging advice, thanks.

Not found any rule yet to preclude me getting a visa so I’ll look further. Taichung or Kaohsiung would be a good start. Always a chance to go a year or two early and get ones foot in the door I suppose but the money’s good in HK.

Cheers for the replies.

It will help if you are specialized in something like math or science. My school hired someone in their 70s. They were able to get the work permit so it is possible.

On the flip side, with Taiwan’s ageing society (avg age of the population continues to rise, like in Japan), have any English teachers seen a distinct uptrend in elderly taking English lessons either one-on-one or at bushibans as a “hobby” or “interest” to fill their day? Many of the city community colleges are targeting the retired for their classes.

We hired an editor way over 60, one of teh best we have had. If I were you, I´d try editing before teaching. Takes too much energy chasing around young ones.

College teaching is also another option. Anything but bending and running and stretching and singing and…