Upper Right Corner Forum Links

[ORIGINAL TITLE: Eyestrain saver]

Just a thought I had, uh, just now. But many times I’ve dratted drunkenly or whatever over where the bloody search was. Shows how often I use it.

Actually, probably switch OWN and SEARCH in my version above for my final unsolicted recommendation. It looks like the ability to add another line of text there is solely dependent on the height of the Forumosa graphic. Easy tweak.

Why don’t you use the Orange search bars at the Forum Index and Forum Summary pages?

Here’s one way to look at the various links up there:

Forum sections: CALENDAR, FORUMOSANS (Memberlist), GROUPS
External services: FLICKR, LINKEDIN
Actions: RECOMMEND, SQUEAL, IGNORE
FYI: RULES, Q&A (FAQ), ADVERTISE
Special searches: FAV, NEW, 24|24, OWN, SEARCH

What do you think of this rearrangement? I’m going to add a link to Forumosa Friends (friends.forumosa.com)

When logged in…

FAQ RULES ADVERTISE
FLICKR LINKEDIN FRIENDS
CALENDAR MEMBERS GROUPS
RECOMMEND SQUEAL IGNORE
FAV NEW 24|24 OWN SEARCH

When logged out…

CALENDAR MEMBERS GROUPS
RECOMMEND SQUEAL IGNORE
FLICKR LINKEDIN FRIENDS
FAQ RULES ADVERTISE
24|24 SEARCH

Putting the following in one line …

FRIENDS LINKEDIN FLICKR CALENDAR GROUPS
MEMBERS ADVERTISE RECOMMEND SQUEAL IGNORE
TIPS RULES FAQ FAV NEW OWN SEARCH 24|24

yes, it’s getting a little crowded up there.

You mean straight across the top, just below the border? I think it would stretch all the way to the logo

I am wondering though… what’s the point of the FAV function?

Some Forumosans like to “bookmark” their favorite discussion threads, but not in their browser. This pre-dates the now popular social bookmarking websites like del.i.cio.us and Reddit

Between you and me, I don’t use that function :idunno:

So …?

It won’t reach - there are too many words for most screen resolutions, so it would bump up against the logo on the right. In other words, it wouldn’t be simply one line across the top, but a line that starts out of no where and then spills to the next line.

When they are crammed up on the right, they are more accessible (arguably, granted) and they are grouped loosely on what I wrote above

Thanks for the suggestion

I think the site is too cluttered already. Could you not have little drop-down menus that give you a list of options when you run your cursor over them, so that the page isn’t a mass of links.

Also, more dancing girls.

You think THIS is cluttered? Then you are going to LOVE my next trick - Award Chops are back :wink:

Seriously, we are planning to upgrade to Olympus once we are satisfied it is stable. I think you will like how uncluttered it looks (see www.phpbb.com - its active there now), I’ll try not to muddy it up when the time comes

[quote=“Goose Egg”]You think THIS is cluttered? Then you are going to LOVE my next trick - Award Chops are back :wink:

Seriously, we are planning to upgrade to Olympus once we are satisfied it is stable. I think you will like how uncluttered it looks (see www.phpbb.com - its active there now), I’ll try not to muddy it up when the time comes[/quote]I’m not too impressed with the look of the forum over there, actually. It’s quite cluttered on my screen because some of the text sizes are too big. And I wonder why they’re running it as fixed-width, and whether there’s an option to do otherwise.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Goose Egg”]You think THIS is cluttered? Then you are going to LOVE my next trick - Award Chops are back :wink:

Seriously, we are planning to upgrade to Olympus once we are satisfied it is stable. I think you will like how uncluttered it looks (see www.phpbb.com - its active there now), I’ll try not to muddy it up when the time comes[/quote]I’m not too impressed with the look of the forum over there, actually. It’s quite cluttered on my screen because some of the text sizes are too big. And I wonder why they’re running it as fixed-width, and whether there’s an option to do otherwise.[/quote]
I understand that there are no “table tags” used in that version - its purely CSS. So if you can override CSS in your browser, you probably can control it. I’ve never tried this, though, because I haven’t had too. It looks great on my monitors and notebooks :slight_smile:

[quote]BTW, is the calendar supposed to be used to promote everyday 99NT$ specials?[/quote]For Subway, it certainly is. I’m glad the message is coming through clearly for you :slight_smile:

[quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“Goose Egg”]You think THIS is cluttered? Then you are going to LOVE my next trick - Award Chops are back :wink:

Seriously, we are planning to upgrade to Olympus once we are satisfied it is stable. I think you will like how uncluttered it looks (see www.phpbb.com - its active there now), I’ll try not to muddy it up when the time comes[/quote]I’m not too impressed with the look of the forum over there, actually. It’s quite cluttered on my screen because some of the text sizes are too big. And I wonder why they’re running it as fixed-width, and whether there’s an option to do otherwise.[/quote]
I understand that there are no “table tags” used in that version - its purely CSS. So if you can override CSS in your browser, you probably can control it. I’ve never tried this, though, because I haven’t had too. It looks great on my monitors and notebooks :slight_smile:[/quote]I’m just providing some feedback, and it seems a few people over there share my opinion – search “fixed width” and you’ll find some comments. I don’t think that the responsibility of making a forum look OK should rest with the end users.

I agree - but given the lack of any formal or consistent way to collect feedback, comments are always welcome

I think the upper right hand links are too cluttered; I’d like to see the external services links moved, perhaps to the index tabs group on the upper right.

I do like having all the searches on the bottom right of the group.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6653119.stm - interesting comments about website design for anyone who’s interested.

and

[quote]Research suggests that users of a site split into three groups. One that regularly contributes (about 1%); a second that occasionally contributes (about 9%); and a majority who almost never contribute (90%).

By definition, said Mr Nielsen, only a small number of users are likely to make significant use of all the tools a site provides…

Web firms rushing to serve the small, committed minority might find they make a site far less useful to the vast majority who come to a site for a specific purpose. [/quote]