Upscale Ethiopian or German food in New Taipei or Taipei

Gas station sushi?

So why do they like if not for the taste? I am curious to know why? And last question what is a hipster, are they all over Taiwan or is this a Taipei thing

…mild? This makes me wonder the kind of Ethiopian places you’ve been visiting! It’s spices on spices, from the nitter kibbeh most dishes start with with to cups of berbere that can make it into a single preparation to the mekelesha blends that might finish off a dish.

To someone that hasn’t had it, I’d describe it more like spicy North Indian-ish with sour, fermented pancakes/crepes.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m a hipster or not, but I like it for the taste. I’m drawn toward big, kinky flavors. To me Ethiopian is like Indian hopped-up on spices we don’t normally taste in other world cuisines (e.g. korerima and ajwain). And I love teff both for the nutrition, and for the depth of flavor. Hard to work with, though-- I’ve never made successful injera.

Perhaps they say hipsters like it because it’s one of the more rare/exotic/niche cuisines usually only surviving in urban areas in the West. I suppose Burmese, Trini, Armenian, and even Taiwanese could fall under that umbrella, too? And traditional Ethiopian dining does not resemble Western or mainstream dining in that it is diners may be closely huddled, eating communally around a smallish tray, eating typically with hands.) I can see how lauding such experiences can be perceived as a status symbol. I suppose I am a hipster, though my wardrobe is aggressively frumpy.

Anyway, yes, hipsters can be ferretted out in most bigger cities, but they do seem to thrive best in Taipei…

1 Like

Eat with your hands.

It’s very good. Strong Italian influence.

This experience may be the one of the most concise distillations of how things, in the 2020s, are not improving.

More to the point: based on my conversations with the many Ethiopians studying and working in the university district in Taipei City, I am pretty sure that there is currently no Ethiopian restaurant in town. And when I pointed to how some of the Tamil researchers among them have branched out to set up shops in Taipei and in Xinbei (Why don’t some of you try this? I asked. Ethiopian food is great!) they looked doubtful, and cited long distances and challenges in getting the ingredients they would need to do this right.

Guy

2 Likes

bangkok has two restaurants

I suspect there may be more than two restaurants in that big thriving city. :joy:

Guy

actually bangkok is the best bang for your buck for all your exotic eats in the entire asian continent. jamaica food? u’ve got it. georgian food? u’ve got it.