Urban exploration

Hi there! I was wondering if there’s anybody currently interested in urban exploration aka Urbex in the kaohsiung area. Truth be told I wouldn’t mind a trip to Taipei either if there’s anything interesting still standing… I’ve read previous posts here in the forum but it all looks a bit outdated. Apart from that I’m having trouble finding any up to date info about the scene here in Taiwan anywhere on the web.
Any ideas as to where to look? (for sites or info…)
No chance any one knows whether Sanzhi Pod City (the UFO village near keelung) is still explorable, no?
cheers and many thnx in advance!

[quote=“krammer”]
No chance any one knows whether Sanzhi Pod City (the UFO village near Keelung (Jilong)) is still explorable, no?
cheers and many thnx in advance![/quote]

That was demolished years ago, wasn’t it?

Yeah, the pod homes are long gone sadly. I hear there are still lots of abandoned houses around Sanzhi and other mountain towns, though the people who explore them seem to guard them jealously as insider secrets. A very touristy place to go would be Shisanceng (十三層) down the mountain from Jiufen (九份) in “New” Taipei. It’s an old factory built into the hillside. Very cool, but as I said, it’s quite well known so it doesn’t hold the promise of an unexplored landscape.

Your best bet for interesting locations would be any place that flourished under the Japanese or in the mid 20th century that has since gone downhill. I’m sure there are places matching that description in Kaohsiung, but I don’t know the city well. Jia you!

Here’s a photo of Shisanceng:

Edit: PS, it’s pretty much the entire hillside, though that might not be obvious from the photo. It was some kind of heavy metals factory and signs all about it warn of toxic materials. Adventurous stuff.