Urban Nomad Hong Kong :: March 7/8/9

Videotage & Microwave presents
URBAN NOMAD Hong Kong
3-nights of underground film - Outside of the ‘Black Box’
2008 March 7 / 8 / 9 (Fri/Sat/Sun)

Venues: Videotage (To Kwa Wan, Kowloon), Imperial Cinema (Wanchai), and KLUUBB (Footak Building, Wanchai)

PROGRAM
“Cinema,” says philosopher Slavoj Zizek, “is the ultimate pervert art. It doesn’t give you what you desire – it tells you how to desire.” But if we are to live our lives in a media environment, which now seems inevitable, how do we take back our desires?

For this event, Taipei’s Urban Nomad Film Fest, working with HK’s hometown crews of Microwave and Videotage, brings together a package of indie shorts from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and the Philippines plus two international features. T

he shorts come from emerging categories – underground, DIY, DVD magazines, activist films, video art, skate/surf flicks – that show how film can be a medium for communication and community rather than just entertainment and telling us how to look cool.

Saturday’s main feature, Crossing the Line, provides a first ever look at the life of an American GI who defected to North Korea in the 1960s and amazingly found happiness there. Filmmaker Nick Bonner will be coming in from Beijing for a talk and gathering following the screening.

The Sunday program, Pervert’s Guide to Cinema starring rock star philosopher Zizek, is a reassessment of mainstream cinema history (and also an indie film!) that looks at where film has been over the last 100 years and why we might just be ready for something new.

Venues

Videotage: Unit 13 Cattle Depot Artist Village, 63 Ma Tau Kok Road, To Kwa Wan, Kowloon

KLUUBB: 14/F, 367 Hennessy Road, Foo Tak Building, Wanchai, Hong Kong
+852 8171 7211 | kluubb.tk

Imperial Cinema: 42 Burrows Street, Wah Tao Building, Wanchai (near Wanchai Road)

Having been closed and out-of-business for years, the Imperial Cinema remains as it was 30 years ago with the original lights, decorations, mirrors and movie posters from the 80’s. Years of non-use and neglect have left the interior theatre spaces and seats deteriorated. In hopes to make use of the forgotten retro cinema space, (before land investors come to reclaim and gentrify the building) we will be taking over a section of the gallant central hallway for a special feature-night screening event.

Price

Suggested donation: 30hkd per program

Schedule (subject to minor changes)

07/03/2008 (Fri)
@ Videotage 7:30pm Everyday Tsunamis: Socially conscious documentaries, from HK, Taiwan and across southeast Asia (90min)
9:15pm Hong Kong Indie Shorts + Wholphin - the San Francisco DVD magazine with shorts by Miranda July, Eroll Morris. (90min)

08/03/2008 (Sat)
@Imperial Cinema 7:00pm Taiwanese Indie Shorts: from Internet films to winner of Venice Critics’ Prize Lin Jing-jie (90min)
9:00pm North Korean documentary Crossing the Line (90min) w/ talk with filmmaker Nick Bonner (UK/Beijing)

08/03/2008 (Sat)
After-party @Kluubb Midnight till late Free after-party w/ fun surf/skate videos from Urban Nomad.

09/03/2008 (Sun)
@Kluubb 7:00pm
Pervert’s Guide to Cinema (150min)

• closing gathering

We’re totally stoked about this Hong Kong program and extremely happy we’re able to show some local films and filmmakers. For times and venues, check the Videotage website:

http://www.videotage.org.hk//recroom_eDM//08_02_18_edm_UN/

At the moment, airfare on Cathay Pacific is just NT$6,000 round trip and there are plenty of cheap hostels in Causeway Bay area.

So far, around 6 local filmmakers from Taiwan will be in attendance, making for quite a good time.

I’m in!

Cheers.

HG

URBAN NOMAD - WE’RE HAVING OUR FIRST HONG KONG EDITION!

Time: March 7-9 (Fri-Sun)

Whoopee! We’re going to Hong Kong, and we’re totally stoked about working with local HK groups Videotage and Microwave, who are helping us put on a 3-day festival right in the guts of Wanchai. Check out all the info on the Videotage website.

The best part will be Saturday night, March 8, when we re-appropriate Wanchai’s Imperial Cinema. Having been closed and out-of-business for years, the Imperial Cinema remains as it was 30 years ago with the original lights, decorations, mirrors and movie posters from the 80’s. Years of non-use and neglect have left the interior theatre spaces and seats deteriorated. In hopes to make use of the rare and retro cinema space, (before land investors come to reclaim and gentrify the building) we will be taking over a section of the central hallway for a special feature-night screening event.

Locations: 地點: Videotage (土瓜灣馬頭角道63號牛棚藝術村)
KLUUBB, Wanchai ( 14/F, 367 Hennessy Road, Foo Tak Building, Wanchai)
Imperial Cinema (42 Burrows St, Wanchai)

價錢 // Tickets: HK$30

節目表 // Program schedule:

07/03/2008 (五) 7:30pm @ 錄影太奇
Everyday Tsunamis: Socially conscious documentaries, from HK, Taiwan and across southeast Asia (90min)

07/03/2008 (五) 9:15pm @ 錄影太奇
Wholphin - the San Francisco DVD magazine with shorts by Miranda July, Eroll Morris and others (75min)

08/03/2008 (六) 7:00pm @ 京都戲院
Taiwanese Indie Shorts: from Internet films to winner of Venice Critics’ Prize Lin Jing-jie (90min)

08/03/2008 (六) 9:00pm @ 京都戲院
North Korean documentary Crossing the Line (90min) with filmmaker talk with Nick Bonner (UK/Beijing)

08/03/2008 (日) 凌晨開始 after-party @ Kluubb
Free after-party w/ fun surf/skate videos from Urban Nomad.

09/03/2008 (日) 7pm @ Kluubb
Pervert’s Guide to Cinema (150min) + closing gathering

I’m planning to head down tonight. Looking at the schedule, the films tonight are on at the Imperial Cinema: 42 Burrows Street, Wah Tao Building, Wanchai (near Wanchai Road). Actually I have no idea where any of that is, which suprises me because Wanchai is probably the only area I know in HK. Sad, really

HG

Hats off Sean and Dave! Fancy bringing kulcha to HK, eh? Superb stuff. I was amazed how many comments I heard along the lines of, “but you never see stuff like this in HK.” I was left explaining several times how much Taiwan has it over this dreary little money-grubbing Canto hell hole in the underground arts arena.

My only regret is that I didn’t have time to go and get messed up with ya, Sean, just for old times sake! Oh but there will be other occasions, dude.

And goddamn but I want one of those posters with that guy riding the scoot through the 7-11!

:notworthy:

HG

Hong Kong’s Wanchai was a perfect fit for UN, a place where you could find 24hr kebabs, warm cans of San Miguel beer with a floor show, and the dusty, once-grand, Imperial Theater.

She was in bad shape when we found her, still sporting tacky posters from her last commercial run — “The Day After Tomorrow” (2004). But the biggest insult was one 200-seat theater which was transformed into a warehouse for thousands of unsold VHS machines!

We buffed her hallway mirrors, turned on the chandelier, and stretched out the red-carpet for the local premiere of Nick Bonner’s documentary “Crossing The Line”, the tear jerking tale of Comrade Joe who is now the lone US-native living in the DPRK.

It was a capacity, standing room crowd for the screening. Some didn’t seem to mind as they helped themselves to the bar or enjoyed a smoke by an open window.

On Sunday, it was a Mexican brunch, some college hoops, and a hike up 17-floors to stage Wanchai’s first rooftop screening at Kluubb.

Thanks to local crews Videotage, Microwave, Kluubb and everyone who washed, schlepped, and partied with us in Hong Kong.

It was sick.