Urgent - ARC renewal

Friend has ARC through marriage and it expires later this week. What would happen if he missed the renewal date, and put his application in late? His wife is saying she’s not around this week to give him her Id.

If it’s 30days or less, he just need to pay some fine 2k or 4k NTD. If more than 30 days, fine up to 10k NTD and needs to get a new visa and ARC somewhere out of taiwan.

Immigration act also says he could lose a year off his residency towards the APRC, which seems harsh. Is that ever enforced?

Yes, I think k so. It is enforced. But, at least it is not a start over, if already more than 1 year.

Yes it is - I just got told by the NIA a couple of weeks back that due to a screw up by my HR, there was a lapse of a couple of days in my ARC so I will need to wait an extra year to be eligible for an APRC

If you live outside Taipei City, then usually he/she is the only person dealing with APRC application. His/her words are the law (kinda).

If Taipei City, you might get off with other officer (if you are know the schedule). Otherwise, just wait.

Make a phone call, preferably by the Taiwanese wife (guarantor), to explain the situation.
It could be sorted out without penalty if you got a compassionate officer.
Or better, your friend coming to the NIA, and give the phone (connected to wife) to the officer in charge. This 99% would be settled without fine.
(Unless ur friend/wife going postal on them)

1 Like

Thanks all. There is a bit of ‘postal’ going on with the wife. She may be turning up tomorrow to provide her Id. Maybe not.

A fine isn’t so bad, if it came to that.

He has 12 years accumulated for his APRC (just never bothered to get it), so I wonder if they subtract a year to leave him on 11 :wink: , or if they put him all the way back to 4 years (assuming the requirement is still 5 years).

I didn’t finish for fear of ruining the suspense. Why not just go postal and mail it overnight. I’ve mailed ARCs and Taiwan ids before. Necessary for getting library cards.
If you’re having that much trouble over an id, may you get your permanent card soon.

She’s just trying to punish him for leaving her and asking for a divorce. She’s been scorned and you know the old saying about a woman scorned. For a Taiwanese woman, it’s worse as once she realizes that he’s serious about divorcing and no reconciliation will happen. She will do her best to see him booted off this island at her mercy. Why should she help him renew his ARC or help him get his APRC? What’s in it for her? She helps him get his APRC so he can be with another woman? Not likely.

That’s why I always recommend to get the APRC the moment you are eligible. He couldn’t be bothered to get it before now, well its going to be quite the bother without her cooperation now. The best course of action is to always get your immigration status squared away BEFORE pissing off the wife by moving out and with a request for divorce.

1 Like

Not sure whether you also using metaphor, but to clarify…
Going postal is an American English slang phrase referring to becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment.

What I meant is, don’t go crazy in front of the officer when things going against you. 99% of Taiwan government officers (NIA, tax office, NHI, labor office, library etc.) are among the nicest government officers that I’ve ever met. They won’t ask for your cash when there’s no legal necessity to do so. They won’t make your life difficult. Even better if you are “pink”, a smile and half decent Chinese explanation would go a long way.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Don’t be a racist :banana: