Urgent Need Way to make rice for camping...

I have a freaking allergy problem that has left me unable to eat many things including meat, eggs dairy and basically all products that contain allergens. I won’t dare eat bread because they posibly may have contaminated the bread with milk.
That said…
Rice is the best most versatile food I can eat. The rest of the family will be eating whatever they like.
So I need a method or type of rice that doesn’t cause much trouble to make or use too much energy. Is there a cheap rice maker contraption that can work on a camp stove or is there minute rice available.
There are no emergency rooms where I am going so… Please give me your most helpful and honest opinion. Stove top rice, I just can’t seem to get it right and I feel it will use too much energy. We really don’t have much room to bring a rice maker.

They sell single-serve microwavable rice in Korea. Basically already cooked and you just heat it up in the microwave. I guess you could just heat it in a water bath on a camping stove.

There must be an equivalent here. Has anyone seen it?

I have cooked rice using a cooking box, that is a cardboard box padded with newspapers or old clothes. Bring the rice to a boil on the stove, turn off the fire, fasten the lid tightly, put it in the box, cover with above insulation materials and close the box. The rice will keep cooking and a couple of hours later you will have freshly cooked rice using a minimal amount of energy.

Here is link

1 Like

Has your family many colors, like a rainbow?

If your trip is only a couple days long, why not cook the rice at home, put it into an air tight lock lock box and bring it with you already cooked? All you have to do is add a tiny bit of water to heat it up.

You can buy dehydrated white rice at camping shops. Just add hot water.

How about some instant brown rice porridge?

http://www.herbfood.com.tw/products/rice-meals/907009.html

Isn’t it a little dangerous to eat leftover rice, unless it’s been refrigerated? But I’m not sure if this is foolish “Oh my god we’re all going to die!” panic, or a real concern.

Maybe a thermal cooker is in order? You have to bring the food to a boil for a few minutes in the metal pot prior to putting inside the insulated pot. I’ve got a tiny thermal cooker that has not worked so well for me and I think it is because the volume is too small. I also have partially cooked food and put it into a food jar like the zojirushi and it seems to work better. The most important part is to fill the container at least 80 percent.

I think you worry too much.
Do you know how many millions of Asian people in Taiwan and out of Taiwan eat left-over rice or rice that has been sitting out at family shrines for hours on end, every day? Plenty.

Here is an alternative. If you are camping not too far from your car, just use the car battery.

Can’t you just get a pot (with a lid) throw some rice in it, cover the rice with water and then put the pot on the camp stove?

I remember making rice like this before and it turned out fine. People have cooked rice for years before they had all the fancy equipment.

3 Likes

As I said in my post, yeah, I’m not sure how dangerous it is and maybe I’m worrying too much. But eating cooked rice that’s been sitting at ambient temperatures (in a subtropical climate!) for two days seems like a bad idea to me. Forty-eight hours isn’t the same as four or five hours at a family shrine.

Thanks for the replies. I went to the camp store and found that rice cooking pots go for 2k or more.
I tried stove top method but it did not seem to come out well. The bottom stuck to the pot and the rest was too mushy. I used a 2 to 1 ratio. What’s the water ratio for “local” rice, the cheapest you get from the local bulk stores? My rice maker makes perfect dryish rice at a ratio of 1 to 1.25
We are only going for one night and two days.

Yes, I’m thinking of making rice the night before in the rice maker and put it in the fridge overnight. wrapped well and maybe in a cooler if there is room, I think it will be good for the day. But, the next day. maybe not.
If we like camping, I think I will invest in a rice maker or a cook set that contains a steamer.
Dehydrated rice in our local shop “Der Jinn” costs 60NT per pouch wich they say is two servings. A little expensive, but for a day… Maybe it’s not so bad. Add hot water to the pouch and wait 15 minutes.
Does rice freeze well. I believe I heard not.
Man I’m spoiled. In another life I did make stovetop rice, but it was Uncle Bens and he did most of the cooking, I guess. More solutions please. Thanks for your help.

I’d watch some youtube videos for making rice camping. There are some ways with inexpensive gear.

For stovetop I’ve always washed the rice and then measured water using the first knuckle technique, but 1:1 or 1:1.25 is probably about right. Bring it to a boil and as soon as that happens, stir it, cover it, and turn it down as low as possible. Wait about 30 minutes and it should be done. the crispy part is a treat.

Actually that may be a good direction for you. Thawed frozen white rice does not taste good on its own, no, but I’ll often freeze it in “lunchboxes” with stir-fried vegetables & sauce & white rice. Microwaved later, those work well for lunch (as long as there’s a decent amount of sauce), but that’s probably not going to work for camping.

For camping: frozen rice (thawed) is great for fried rice. Depending on your cooler, freeze the rice, take it with you, then used the thawed rice for fried rice the next day.

Best ratio for making rice:

1. Put rice in pot.
  2. Put finger into rice, touching the bottom of the pot.
  3. Use middle finger to mark top of rice on your index finger.
  4. Put index finger on top of rice.
  5. Add water to where your middle finger is marking your index finger.

This method for water / rice ratio was taught to me by a Pilipino girlfriend I had a long time ago. It has never failed me.

For cooking rice on the stove top. Gently bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer 10 min or until water is mostly gone. Turn heat off and cover. Let sit for 10 min.

hmm… thanks.