Urine infection - my doctor prescribes

…Minocin. Since he prescribed Unasyn previous to the Minocin - which turned my eyes hellish red and had me sleeping for 48 hours I’m a little wary of what he proffers.

On his advice I also had a urine test which showed a white blood cell count of between 15 - 25 (too high - indicating an infection). The TPHA (syphilis) test was negative. Phhh…!

Should I drop the Minocin? My pee’s still burning and I want to get it sorted sooner than later. Any suggestions on alternative medication, detox and cleansing methods/agents.

I get the feeling my innards could do with a general purging at about this time of the year/my life, in line with my 100 day no-liquor quest.

And do you know of a sound doc in Taichung City, who can speak/understand English, should the situation turn pear on me?

Lovely, ta in advance…

I’ve heard that Cranberry cordial is great for UrinaryTrackInfections.

Drop the antibiotics!!! Go natural! And remember if you do take antibiotics it is important that you balance them with probiotics!

eating your penis is natural for bacteria.

eating? Dont you mean licking?

There is quite a bit of reliable information on the internet.

Check out these links:
UrologyChannel
US NIH
Alternative treatment

Since you were worried about syphillis, it sounds like you believe this infection was contracted via sex. Have you told your partner about this infection? If not, you absolutely must tell your partner(s). All partners need to seek treatment.

UTI can stem from other causes as well. For a man, it could be due to a kidney stone, enlarged prostate, or from a medical procedure involving a catheter.

From what you describe, it seems that you have a lower urinary tract infection. Keep taking the antibiotics the doctor presecribed. You don’t want the infection to move further inside, where it could cause complications.

Untreated chlamydia infections can create serious problems.

[quote=“www.urologychannel.com”]In men, untreated NGU can cause epididymitis, inflammation of the reproductive system that may result in fertility problems. Symptoms resolve in about 60% of untreated chalmydial infections.

About 40% of women with untreated chlamydia develop pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which creates a risk for infertility, endometriosis, and other reproductive tract problems.[/quote]
To prevent recurrence of UTI:

[quote=“www.urologychannel.com”]Prevention

The following measures can reduce the risk for UTI:

* Avoid products that may irritate the urethra (e.g., bubble bath, scented feminine products).
* Cleanse the genital area before sexual intercourse.
* Change soiled diapers in infants and toddlers promptly.
* Drink plenty of water to remove bacteria from the urinary tract.
* Do not routinely resist the urge to urinate.
* Take showers instead of baths.
* Urinate after sexual intercourse.
* Women and girls should wipe from front to back after voiding to prevent contaminating the urethra with bacteria from the anal area.[/quote]

Drink plenty of water to help flush bacteria out of the urinary tract. Avoid coffee, alcohol, and smoking.

OK. I’m not a doctor but I had the same problem here in Taiwan 10 years ago and ended up in the hospital in the US because of the idiots here.

First. Here in Taiwan I was treated with Ampicillin. This was the worst thing they could have given me as all it did was temporarily suppress the infection and symptoms. When it suddenly returned after 3 months, I felt like someone had hit me in the lower back with a baseball bat. I was pissing black. Unasyn appears to be a derivative of Ampicillin. Looks like your doctor is trying the cheap stuff.

I ended up having radioactive dyes pumped in me, X-rays, etc, etc. And those of you who were laughing about the test for syphilis, this is standard.

I ended up having to take Ciprofloxacin…a much stronger and more expensive antibiotic because the infection had become much harder to kill. You’ve heard about antibiotic resistant diseases? Where do you think they come from? Taiwan’s wonderful (read cheap) national health system using cheap drugs doesn’t help.

rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/unasyn.htm
ciprousa.com/

yes i can concur ciproxicillin is the last refuge to which the scoundrels will turn…3rd gen. drug that kills everything in it’s path. i got given it because of a prostrate flare-up mis-diagnosed as an STD…made me quesey (sp) for a month but didn’t do anything since there was no outside agent to kill…

…anyway if you want to self-medicate buy one weeks worth of ciproxin and take your self to a testing clinic once you’ve finished the full course…test urine and blood for the usual suspects; might sound a bit gung-ho but the doctors here are so shit you’re better off doing it yourself (and use the internet for advice)

i went thru hell just because a urologist was to lazy to do a urine/blood test; prolly thought dirty foreigner must have an STD…

sorry think blueface has got the right name…ciprofloxacin…

maybe yours dude, the ones I had were forking chomping into me or something :slight_smile: i say nuke 'em :slight_smile:

I have a great doctor here in Taichung who is actually a US certified doctor and uses western meds. He was a US Airforce doctor, which is a little scary, but he has been great. He is NOT covered by health insurance, and it does get a bit pricey, but every time my boyfriend or I have been sick, he has filled us so full of antibiotics that we probably cure people of their infections just by getting too close to them on the street. In the US I always thought that too much antibiotics are not a good thing, but I have never been as sick as often as I have here in Taiwan! That’s just one of the prices you pay for teaching kindy.

His name is Dr. Rong Gong Lin and his phone number is 04-2312-4658. He is located off of Wen Hsin Road, just past Ta-Ya Road. Hours are M-F 9:30am to 12:00 noon and 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm, but he is not open on Thursday afternoons or Friday mornings. He’s a good man and he certainly cares about his patients. It is expensive though, as he uses western meds that come at a high premium. He does not charge for office visits, only medication, which probably contributes to his willingness to pump you full of drugs. Do not go there with less than $4000 in your wallet and the ability to let go of it. That’s for a three or four day supply of medication. What we often do is get diagnosed and the first few days meds from him and then do some internet research and go to a big pharmacy and try to get something comparable.

I am also a sufferer of chronic urinary tract infections, and my last doctor in the US prescribed “preventative” Macrobid. If I feel like I might be getting an infection, I take a pill or two and that will generally be enough to help my system kick the infection. I really doubt that you could get them here though, and it sounds like you need something a hell of a lot stronger than a nudge. The one thing that worked for me on the real bad ones is called a Zithromax (Z-pack), and it’s three days of horse-pill sized antibiotics generically called azithromycin. They make you feel pretty shitty for a few days, but nothing worse than you probably feel already. I kind of doubt that you can get it here, but sometimes I’m happily surprised!

Anyway, hope this helps. If you would like directions to Dr. Lin’s office, PM me your email address and I’ll email you a scan of the map to his office.

Good luck!

Karen