US Citizen having baby with TW Citizen

Ok, I have just got back from taiwan yesterday and found out me and my fiance are going to have a baby. We have been married before and had some immigration problems because i didnt meet the poverty guidlines and didnt have any family to cosponsor him to come over so we divorced. And reunited… So he is not able to come to the states from what i hear… Is this true? Because somebody told me that if you divorce and try to get remarried it looks like immigration fraud…

So, we are debating on struggling to get him over here or me going to taiwan to have the baby or me staying in the states alone and then go to taiwan after the baby is born… How hard is it and what are the processes to the baby becoming a us citizen if the baby is born in taiwan… OR what if i had the baby in the states and then moved to taiwan with him after the baby is born. is it hard for the baby to obtain citizenship in taiwan?? Ive done some previous research but just want to know recommendations from other people around the world…

What are the ob/gyn clinics like in taipei city? I have been to one in luodong and it was very country there so i know that in taipei it should be much nicer… Do they accept foreigners to have children on the fathers nationwide insurance or it would have to come from the mother just paying out of pocket?? i know still it is much cheaper to have a baby in taiwan than here…I would be getting state insurance through the government here if i had the baby in the states…

Please give me your honest opionan… And any information you know of to recommend

[quote=“bgrey888”]Ok, I have just got back from taiwan yesterday and found out me and my fiance are going to have a baby. We have been married before and had some immigration problems because i didnt meet the poverty guidlines and didnt have any family to cosponsor him to come over so we divorced. And reunited… So he is not able to come to the states from what I hear… Is this true? Because somebody told me that if you divorce and try to get remarried it looks like immigration fraud…

So, we are debating on struggling to get him over here or me going to Taiwan to have the baby or me staying in the states alone and then go to Taiwan after the baby is born… How hard is it and what are the processes to the baby becoming a us citizen if the baby is born in Taiwan… OR what if I had the baby in the states and then moved to Taiwan with him after the baby is born. is it hard for the baby to obtain citizenship in Taiwan?? Ive done some previous research but just want to know recommendations from other people around the world…

What are the ob/gyn clinics like in taipei city? I have been to one in luodong and it was very country there so I know that in taipei it should be much nicer… Do they accept foreigners to have children on the fathers nationwide insurance or it would have to come from the mother just paying out of pocket?? I know still it is much cheaper to have a baby in taiwan than here…I would be getting state insurance through the government here if I had the baby in the states…

Please give me your honest opionan… And any information you know of to recommend[/quote]

Forget bringing him over to the States. It’s a mess. As far as the baby is concerned, no matter where it’s going to be born, it’s a dual citizen and it’s not terribly difficult to straighten all that out. I highly recommend you either sit down with someone at TECO in the U.S. or AIT in Taipei. P.S. it lacks a certain personal touch but the health care in Taipei is quite good. Relatively speaking. From what I’m told by my personal authority on the matter, the child will be covered under papa’s health insurance but he has to be born first, in other words, you might be on the hook for the actual cost of the birth, although once it’s out, papa can apply to be re-imbursed.

yea bringing him to the states is just a huge mess!!! and i really dont have the paitience to do that right now… so we would have to get married before i have the baby before i could go there to have the baby am i correct?? because wouldnt that be harder to get because the child would technically be out of wedlock???

what is the steps for me getting to taiwan the legal way if this is the case of me going there??

[quote=“bgrey888”]yea bringing him to the states is just a huge mess!!! and i really dont have the paitience to do that right now… so we would have to get married before I have the baby before i could go there to have the baby am i correct?? because wouldnt that be harder to get because the child would technically be out of wedlock???

what is the steps for me getting to Taiwan the legal way if this is the case of me going there??[/quote]

Just come over here on a visitor visa to get the ball rolling. Make all the necessary visits to the various gov’t agencies you’ll have to deal with. Marry the dude before the baby pops out, the sooner the better. I’m kind of surprised that your baby daddy doesn’t have this information for you. Oh, wait. He’s Taiwanese. Scratch that. Sorry, just a joke at his expense but the kernel of truth is that you probably won’t get a lot of help from his end of sorting this out. Am I right? Don’t sweat it though. Taiwan is starving for babies. They’ll do everything they can to keep you (and the baby) here.

I think superlucky gave you pretty good advice. Your best bet is to come to Taiwan (if your fiance going to the U.S. is impossible) and get married asap. Get registered as a couple. Once married, why couldn’t you bring him to the U.S. if you would prefer to have the baby in the U.S.? Or, if it’s less expensive due to NHI to have the baby in Taiwan, then have the baby in Taiwan. He/she will have dual citizenship no matter what. Even if he/she is born in the U.S., as long as you are married prior to the baby being born and can prove your marriage status with your fiance, the baby will have dual citizenship due to the fact that the father is a Taiwanese citizen.

As for quality of OB/GYN, stick with doctors and facilities in Taipei, you should be fine.

Good luck!

so i guess i am looking for a ticket in january around the second week to go over and get married and visit with my family… so basically i just need to get married and go and register with the govt and tell them i am pregnant with his child??? sorry im in the dark about the whole immigration laws everywhere…

but isnt there a lot of paperwork and processes involved to have the baby out of the us?? and also im getting on state insurance to have the baby in the us… how are the price differences between here and taiwan?? i know here having a baby is up to $10,000 USD now

Yes, you’ll need to do some extra paperwork to get your child registered as a US citizen if the birth occurs outside the US.
See the following page for the details. You may want to get your paperwork in order now while you’re still in the US.
acs.ait.org.tw/report-birth-abroad.html

Edit: one more thing. I’m not sure if you’ll be covered by the NHI if you come here right before the baby is born. I’m not sure how quickly the health insurance takes effect. It’s probably changed since I got married about 9 years ago.

[quote=“bgrey888”]so i guess I am looking for a ticket in January around the second week to go over and get married and visit with my family… so basically i just need to get married and go and register with the govt and tell them I am pregnant with his child??? sorry im in the dark about the whole immigration laws everywhere…

but isnt there a lot of paperwork and processes involved to have the baby out of the us?? and also im getting on state insurance to have the baby in the us… how are the price differences between here and Taiwan?? I know here having a baby is up to $10,000 USD now[/quote]

Before you leave, get fingerprinted and get a criminal background check done by your city, state and the FBI. Get to Taiwan, get married here and file the paperwork asap. Once you’re married and have the baby, the child is covered (although you might need to pay upfront and get reimbursed if your paperwork is too slow)

It’s been two years but delivery and such shouldn’t cost more than 3000 USD.

The paperwork on this side is relatively painless. No more than a few hundred in total fees and the only downside is the little one can’t ever run for president :notworthy:

You need to act quickly. On a marriage visa, you must wait 4 months before your health coverage kicks in. Until then, you’ll be paying medical expenses youself–but they are vastly cheaper here than in the States even without insurance. And the quality is the same. In the States, and on state insurance, you will get the minimum care possible.

I was already married when I got pregnant, but we had been out of the country and returned on a new visa, as we let the other one expire while we were gone. I had to wait through my first trimester for the insurance to kick in, but still the health care was very good and very affordable comapred to “home” in the States.

When my son was born, he was instantly covered by his father’s insurance. I was in the hospital for more than a week (I had a rough time of it), and a c-section, and the total cost of the birth (with insurnace at that point) was still just over 10,000 NT. (Seven years ago now.)

You have to take your baby, at some point, to AIT here and apply for his/her American citizenship, but it’s fairly straight forward. You and your husband will both have to sign for his/her American passport, when you get it. That’s about all there is to it, really.

OR-you could come over here and get a job. Still get married of course, if that’s what you want–but with a job, it takes only a month to get insurance.

Congratulations on the new little one, and good luck with everything. Just remember that choosing a husband for you is choosing a father for your little one. Choose carefully and responsibly. All the best to you!

actually thank you all for the advice but i had miscarriage last week

I guess this only apply for the US? Because my son was born in Denmark - about 6-7 months prior marriage - and yet have dual citizenship. We just went back to Taiwan after he was born and had his taiwanese papers done.

bgrey888
I’m really, really sorry to hear about your miscarriage!! :frowning:

Sorry to hear that bgrey888. :frowning: They suck.

Sorry for your loss.

sorry to hear of your loss