US Citizen, Visitor Visa denied from NYC TECO - What are my options?

I read for the Visa I need to show return flights from Country I applied from, Pain as I have to buy one ticket out then buy return to come back?

It’s probably to do with you applying for a ‘visitor’ visa. You have 90 days for free, and that’s why they don’t give a visa, too much work. Probably applying for a ‘student’ visa will do if you have all the paperwork.

1 Like

In the old days you’d get a landing visa which was a visitor visa.
Then when you needed to switch to resident visa you had to go to HK.
I heard there are ways to switch without exiting sometimes but usually you have to exit to change the visa.

1 Like

This. I remember seeing threads before where the stated reason is “you don’t need it, just go visa free”. That’s why for my half year of study I just did a visa run to Japan.

1 Like

No. You just have to exit Taiwan and then when you return to get a new 90 days.

You can go anywhere like Hong Kong or Philippines which has flights round trip for NT$5000 right now.

No. Just need to have an onward flight ticket. Some people just buy a cheap throw-away ticket just to show it or they just get reimbursement for the ticket after they arrived in Taiwan.

And immigration rarely asks for the onwards ticket. It’s the airlines in the departing country that will usually not issue a boarding pass and let you board without an onward ticket.