US considers Airbus A380 as Air Force One and potentially a

More AB 380 news:

[quote]US considers Airbus A380 as Air Force One and potentially a C-5 replacement

The Airbus A380 has attracted interest from the US Air Force (USAF) as a cargo freighter and as a large VIP transport in the Air Force One class, says an industry source.

EADS last summer responded to two separate inquiries by the USAF’s Air Mobility Command (AMC) about the A380, which is a double-decker jet delivered to Singapore Airlines on 15 October after a long delay.

AMC’s first request asked EADS to submit data about the A380F Freighter for potential use as a military airlifter, the source said, adding that the company has submitted a reply and expects an invitation to make a presentation in December to AMC officials.(more at link)
FlightGlobal[/quote]

There is one A380 sold to a private person as business jet …

And the US military has also interest in the new A400M I believe …

wow! boeing/lockheed have got to be sweating. trivia q–what’s the only major purchase of foreign aircraft by the us military last 50 years or so?

nice looking plane that 400. the c-130 is getting a bit long in the tooth!

TG -
Some might say the US Presidential helicopter. It is a LockHeed/Martin manufactured a/c based on the AgustaWestland EH101. Beat out Sikorsky for the new contract.

However, the US Coast Guard has been using “foreign made” helo’s for quite a number of years.

The C-130 will be around for another 20 years or so and it just keeps getting better for its defined mission.
The C-17 and the C-5A along with the C-130 have covered the bases that the 400 might have been purchased for.
Not to downgrade the 400, its a fine a/c and has a lot of happy customers.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]TG -
Some might say the US Presidential helicopter. It is a LockHeed/Martin manufactured a/c based on the AgustaWestland EH101. Beat out Sikorsky for the new contract.

However, the US Coast Guard has been using “foreign made” helo’s for quite a number of years.
[/quote]

hmmm, the dauphine. i wasn’t aware of that one. i see they bought 96, so the one i had in mind is still the largest number of aircraft, with 110 bought in total, made overseas.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]wow! boeing/lockheed have got to be sweating. trivia q–what’s the only major purchase of foreign aircraft by the us military last 50 years or so?

nice looking plane that 400. the c-130 is getting a bit long in the tooth![/quote]

harrier jumpjet for the us marines

TG -
Good trivia Q.

Boeing AV-8B / BAe GR.7 Harrier II

"[i]The AV-8B Harrier II was a follow up design undertaken by the McDonnell Douglas corporation with the junior partner being the British Aerospace Corporation (BAe). The system built upon the successes encountered during use of the initial system which became the world’s first STOVL combat aircraft to reach operational status with any one air force.

“Compared to the original Harrier system, the Harrier II featured an all new nose section and cockpit and was trialed with an all new constructed composite wing design and wing area as the YAV-8B (or AV-8A). The end result was successful enough to pursue a production run of 280 AV-8B’s for the USMC. British production models of the AV-8B differed in minor ways, most notably the use of twin 25mm cannons as opposed to the American counterpart usage of a single cannon.[/i]”

Having worked on a number of military aircraft, I have to say that working on US made aircraft is much more pleasurable than European. UK aircraft are downright awful.

The worst was an Italian Aermacchi MB-339 that had a metric airframe, UNF Hydraulics (US) and a Rolls Royce Engine (UK). 3 different tool systems. Headache.

The other thing I love about US aircraft is if you get the right combination of types, they work very well together both operationally and also with regards to the engineering. Many parts are common to more than one type or interchangeable and the tool kits required to work on them all is reasonably compact.

Personally, I think it would be a cold day in hell when an A380 was put into service as Air Force One. Apart from the logistics nightmare, keeping the classified info about the aircraft stateside would be a major priority I would think. The A380 must be a throwaway bid, surely.

Not a wrench twister but will agree with Truant and add that the tech manuals on US Mil a/c are much easier to understand also. And much more clearly laid out station-wise and system -wise.

The A380 as AF 1 story is a throw-away. No way in heck would this become a reality for logistical reason alone. Too many airfields would be removed from anding consideration to make this ever happen.
I think it was just some journalistas mid-morning pipe dream.

probably, the c-5 replacement part of the story is more interesting though.

for the record tc the aircraft in my question was the av-8a, which was built in the uk. the b was mostly a mcdonnell-douglas product.