US DJs suspended for tasteless tsunami song parody

Original Title: Americans Show their asses again…

[quote]The host of a New York morning radio show(Hot 97) and the rest of her on-air crew were suspended indefinitely Wednesday for airing a tasteless song parody that mocked victims of the catastrophic south Asia tsunami.[/quote]:loco:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/274920p-235203c.html

Seems like the ‘right’ thing to do would be giving them a 2 weeks of community service in Indonesia…Wonder if they would have much to make fun of then…

Don’t you think it’s a LITTLE much to say “Americans” as though all Americans support these idiots?

Also, “show their asses”

Did these folks show their asses, on radio? Or do you mean they showed that they’re asses?"

Read. Then think. Then type. Then think again about what you wrote. Please.

And, weren’t you the one talking in another thread about stereotypes and fairness and such things? Where’s the fairness in your subject title? Or are you looking to stir the pot?

[quote]Don’t you think it’s a LITTLE much to say “Americans” as though all Americans support these idiots?[/quote] Nope not too much cause THEY ARE AMERICAN:roll: …I’m American, happy to be one, but sometimes we need to be taken down a peg or two…

[quote]
Also, “show their asses”

Did these folks show their asses, on radio? Or do you mean they showed that they’re asses?"

Read. Then think. Then type. Then think again about what you wrote. Please.

And, weren’t you the one talking in another thread about stereotypes and fairness and such things? Where’s the fairness in your subject title? Or are you looking to stir the pot?[/quote]

show their asses, is slang for they showed off making an ass of themselves. Sorry, i forget that not everone speaks ebonics here :laughing:

Where’s the fairness in them making fun of such a big tragdey? How about the stereotypes they used for the expense of entertainment? I think you should read the article before saying any more…And also it wasn’t a little much to say what I said.

I agree with Smith. The title is really asking for a flame war. I’m not an American, but I feel that equating what a particular shock-jock radio station did with how all Americans feel or act with regards to the tsunami disaster is not fair. Americans this or Americans that… Unfair generalizations.

I changed the title to something more descriptive of the subject…

Seems like Nama or someone on high agrees too, as the title has been changed.

BTW, Nama, how did you get the position of bringing Americans down a peg? Volunteer job I bet.

And please don’t think by not agreeing with you that I support the radio crew that did this. I don’t. And I did read this article this morning…the whole way through. All by myself.

Seems like Nama or someone on high agrees too, as the title has been changed.

BTW, Nama, how did you get the position of bringing Americans down a peg? Volunteer job I bet.

And please don’t think by not agreeing with you that I support the radio crew that did this. I don’t. And I did read this article this morning…the whole way through. All by myself.[/quote]

LMAO i glad you didn’t need help in reading the article…I don’t think it’s my position to bring American’s down a peg or two, just being opinionated… :laughing: And the title wasn’t meant to start a flame war, just posting in my own little way…I don’t think you are agreeing with me jdsmith…

Well, I don’t flame, so a flame war seems unlikely.

As for your last comment…you don’t think I’m agreeing with you…about what?

I agree that the radio crew was bad. I think they were wrong.

I think you are wrong. You should not generalize about how all Americans feel or think. I also don’t think you should post inflamatory subject titles in you own little way, if your own little way is to stir the pot and wait to see what rises.

:slight_smile:

Have a lovely night.

jdsmith, stop taking yourself so seriously…thanks for going off topic…and don’t identify with your opinions. People’s opinions are not indicative of who they are, just thoughts they have and have a right to express…

Just to clarify what I meant about flame wars: a while back there was a thread all about trashing Canadians. It quickly got ugly and was trashed. I think titles like the original one for this thread bring out those with axes to grind against citizens of entire nations and simply provoke multipage flame-outs of the sort I saw in the blame Canada thread. I think it’s just better-- if this is to be site for all members of the international community-- that we stay away from negative generalizations and stereotypes about each others’ nationalities.

Peace.

This really stands by itself.

ps. As for going off your topic…what WAS it? Ah yes, radio guys bad, stupid song, Americans show asses. That about it?

Now we’re back on track. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Namahottie”]
show their asses, is slang for they showed off making an ass of themselves. Sorry, I forget that not everone speaks ebonics here :laughing: [/quote]

I speak ebonics, and even there you are wrong. It is show they’re asses. That quote in itself is slang/ebonics(same thing). Please don’t say that I don’t know ebonics, remember I am from Chicago(like yourself) and you don’t need to be black to understand…I have watched enough P. Diddy videos in my day to pick up the lingo…word!

Typical much to do about nothing. If no major media had picked it up then it would have died the death it deserved.

[quote=“Frost”][quote=“Namahottie”]
show their asses, is slang for they showed off making an ass of themselves. Sorry, I forget that not everone speaks ebonics here :laughing: [/quote]
I have watched enough P. Diddy videos in my day to pick up the lingo…word![/quote]

Im sorry, let me pay for your therapy, I’m sure you are shell shocked especially after his real world show… :laughing:

Namahottie, I think what the previous posters were talking about is that the clown who runs that radio show and okayed the lyrics to the song is black.

From a post on the tsunami thread last week that you missed:

"Miss Jones and her crew sent up the deaths of tsunami victims a broadcasted a song which told jokes about children who lost their parents and referred to Asian’s killed in the tragedy as “chinks”.

and get this, Miss Jones is from an oppressed minority too."

Of course, it should not matter that Ms Jones is black. Shock jocks are everything these days, Italians, Jews, Catholics, even, gasp, WASPS. But it seemed rather strange for a black woman in NYC to be making fun of the tsunami victims far away. Would she have run a song mocking the 911 victims? Had it been an Italian DJ or a Jewish DJ or a WASP DJ, same thing applies. But it seems that the black/Asias ethnic divide in NYC might have set up this brouhaha. Not very haha.

i THINK that is what the other posters here were getting at. The ethnic mix of the DJ who sponsored this sick song. The lyrics are on the tsunami thread, go look!

There were plenty of jokes flying around after 911, and after Princess Diana and her boyfriend died in Paris. And after the space shuttle blew up. They’re either funny or they’re not. But they’re all certainly in bad taste.

It is interesting to note that being from an “ethnic minority” in America opens up the slur dictionary to you. I’m Irish. Presumably then I can go on TV in the States and rant about “fucking bog-trotting Paddy Micks, thick as two short planks. Hey! How do you confuse an Irishman? Give him two shovels and tell him to take his pick! HAHAHA!”

This joke apparently is not offensive because it is told by an Irishman. But can I use terms like “nigger” and “chink” given my hypothetical membership of one of the groups in America about whom jokes may not be made? I should imagine not. Does somebody monitor this stuff and set rules. Clearly it is OK for a black person in the US to talk about “niggers” and so on, but is it also OK for him to use “chink” etc? Can Asians use “nigger”?

Very confusing. I mean it’s hard to know what racial epithet I can apply to various people any more.

[And thank you once again to the Mary Whitehouse machine for making me have to re-edit my post. What happens if a black person come on here and wants to use the term “nigger”? Are a bunch of middle class whiteys going to tell him he can’t because it would be offensive to him!? HAHAHAHA! That I wanna see. Tee hee. I can’t post rap or hip hop lyrics cause they’re offensive to blacks!!!]

Thank god that larry flynt took his issues with freedom of speech the the supreme court and won.

However too many PC Americans believe that they have the right how to tell other people to think and behave.

The fact is that many many words can be taken to be an insult. “chink” means a gap and is not a racist word used in the right context.

Yet when I’ve used the words niggardly and snigger many PC minded north americans jump on my case as they have a poor level of understanding what these words mean.

Oh but they sound like a raist word they exclaim when told what the real meaning is.

How do you sink an Irish submarine?

Knock on the hatch…

Stopping people using so called derogatory wors does nothing to lessen racism and discrimination.

The Americans have lost their sense of humour and can’t relax anymore.
Damneven my golliwog is having nightmares about the american boogeyman.

Yea, I know they were black, which kills me. Cause I’d bet any amount of money they would be the first in line to bitch loudly if the tables were turned. Sometimes I really do think Martin Luther King is spinning in his grave…

Hexuan, the usual rule is that you can only do it with your own group. Something on the level of the n-word would be controversial even among blacks (or whatever ethnic group it is), though, so you have to ask who the audience is supposed to be. Broadcasting also has special rules which don’t distinguish between who the speaker is.

There does appear to be a double standard operating at the moment whereby non-whites are able to say things about whites that whites could not say about non-whites. I fail to understand this. The closest I can come is that as whites used to and still do crap on non-whites, whites just have to put up with it, and that’s tough shit. Fair enough. Any amount of rappers can rant on about what they believe I may do, think, or eat because I’m white, but if I do the same about them I go to jail. Is it really fair? (I have taken to calling all white people “honkie” and “whitey” but no-one has got offended yet. I’m not sure I’ve got the terminology right… :frowning: )

But in what way can we apply this “logic” to racist epithets bandied about between groups with no history of opression? The whole PC house of cards may be about to fall in on itself. Or get even sillier. Let’s see.

Of course it may simply be a bread-and-circuses plot by nasty white men to keep black people down by allowing them to repatriate the word-which-is-the-postcode-of-a-certain-street-in-London and rant and rave on vinyl. Er, and shoot each other. White people can then assume the whole race thing is solved while listening to Jay-Z diss Thingummy on their car stereos. Similar to the way the problem about offing all the red indians was solved by dressing everyone up in feathers and jumping about with hatchets on school sports days. I wonder how the Irish problem wasn’t solved by dressing up in a green leotard and a balck hat with a gold buckle on it. and waving a wee bent stick saying “Tap a the marnin’ to ye!” ? :idunno:

On second thoughts, the PC thing is simply incapable of parody. :loco: