US DJs suspended for tasteless tsunami song parody

Really? What Jay-z song?

Really? What Jay-z song?[/quote]

Takeover - Thingummy is Nas. Very funny!

[quote]Nigga I know you well, all the stolen jew-els
Twinkletoes you breakin my heart
You can’t fuck with me - go play somewhere, I’m busy
And all you other cats throwin shots at Jigga
You only get half a bar - fuck y’all niggaz[/quote]
azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/takeover.html

(He’s not too happy in Heart of the City either - my favourite line is: What you eat don’t make me shit - where’s the love? Tee hee.)

Nigga nigger nigguz and so forth are a little different from other deragitory terms. I’ve never seen or heard of a white/asian/etc. reffer to another white/asian/etc. as a honky/chick/etc. execpt for when joking about the now common use of nigga.

The N word carries a lot more weight than most words I can think of and to compare it to “lesser” (if you know what I mean, if you don’t oh well) deragatory terms is comparing apples and oranges.

Much has been written about the subject, people talk about it (like has started here) and there is no “rule” or right/wrong about it.

Where I grew up I had Asian, White, Black, Hispanic, Mixed, Indian and all that for friends. I’ve at one time or another reffered to all of them as nigga, but I’d never call my Asian friend a chink or my White friends Honkys (unless I was messing with them).

About the DJ thing, I heard about it. I listened to a rap retort by a rapper named Jin. And I’ll quickly foget about it.

Some stuff that came up in my quick google search:

[quote=“wikipedia.org”]“Nigger” was, for generations of Whites, the childhood term for African Americans in America, though most used “Negro” or “Colored.” Among White Southerners of the generation comprising the 1960s, learning not to use the term was an act of deliberate contrition, or at least etiquette.

Today, unless it is used very cautiously, its implications of racism are so strong that use of it is a social taboo in English-speaking countries. Many American magazines and newspapers will not even print “nigger” in full, instead using “nggr,” "n

I still think all this fuss about who can say what about who when is bullshit. Words have no inherent power - the only power they have is that given to them by audiences. If people on all sides of the equation would stop getting so damn knotted up over nothing more than a bunch of phonemes things might, you know, actually start improving in society. I understand how this began to happen with the word “nigger” through its adoption by those it was once used to deride, but that process went too far and screwed it all up when suddenly it was “we can say it because it’s empowering; you say it and you’re racist”. If everyone was allowed to use it and no-one cared (or at least made a big song-and-dance about caring) - regardless of how the word was intended by the speaker - it would rapidly lose all power to offend.

If only things were so simple. :wink:

Words (written and spoken) are very powerful. It’s how we communicate. I’d like to see you use what’s quoted above in response to the slap on the face you’d recieve trying to “court” a woman using only “the B word”. :laughing:

My point stands - if she didn’t care, the word would lose any power it may’ve been granted by a negative reaction. Sure, it would have to be a gradual process, but it’s happened and continues to happen repeatedly - look at the changes in the way society as a whole views the word “gay”, or hell, even “nigger”.

I get that, it’s just that different words are at different levels of social acceptance in different situations. I think we both understand each other and are better off discussing it further tomorrow over nachos as to not go off topic any further. :wink:

What was this thread about anyway? :laughing:

Knock knock
Who’s there
Sue
Sue who
Sue Nami

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Something on the level of the n-word would be controversial even among blacks (or whatever ethnic group it is), quote]

I’ve seen plenty of American movies where one black man says to another, Come on Niggernigger… What you doing Nniiggeerr?

Seems black people can call each other nniiggeerr in both the affectionate and derogatory sense of the word.

Testuo is right… too many people pretending to feel offended when there is actually nothing to be offended about.

However crass jokes about the victims rubbed people up the wrong way.

Part of the point of this incident is the use of racial epithets. So I think this is on topic.

But, what are words without meaning?

But, what are words without meaning?[/quote]
I’m not saying that they lose meaning, merely that their meaning changes.

there’s another issue here:

i saw a book in Eslite called ‘the end of art’ or something like that. it says that creativity has been replaced by cleverness. the stupid tsunami song represents cleverness but not creativity and definitely not good taste and morals. as art declines so does humanity. i hate Warner for their stepping up of racial hatred thru gangsta rap and other examples of cleverness vs creativity thru the past 20 years. they diliberately exploited racial gaps and even created them where societal healing was probably already taking place. they caused blacks to hate more than they had before and whites to either become gangbangers or become polarized into a " i’m moving out in suburbia walmart ville so i can get away from the ‘black swarm’ as they percieved people of color to be.
art in this case has created reality not defined it.

I’m not saying that they lose meaning, merely that their meaning changes.[/quote]
The N word won’t be changing for a long time. I understand how you feel about it, but that doesn’t change the way a lot of other people feel about it. Even if one rises above the meaning of words (and their five senses; taste, touch, smell, hearing and sight) to a Buddha like state, one still needs to be conscious about how others feel about the words one chooses to use.

Perhaps you didn’t get my point about the girl. The thing is she DOES care and you knowing that she cares will prevent you from using words like that around her. The word then has power over you.

It may not be so apparent with my example of “the B word”, but I KNOW there are many areas in the US where (incorrectly) using “the N word” will get you a swift beat down. This word (and many others) has a power over you that is out of your control.

If all you’re saying is “If no one cared it’d lose it’s power.” fine. But that statement its about as useful as “If everyone loved each other there’d be no wars.”

I’m not saying that they lose meaning, merely that their meaning changes.[/quote]

So, what other word’s meaning would change to become offensive to take the place of the the word who’s meaning has changed?

Words are, after all, just symbols for thoughts.

Tigerman appears to be a Rationalist to excess. You have to come to terms with the concept of Empirical reality. In theory you can do or say anything you want, but in real life using the word nogger has consequences.

Do you mean me… or Tetsuo?

Because I certainly believe that real life words have meanings and their use has consequences.

Do you mean me… or Tetsuo?

Because I certainly believe that real life words have meanings and their use has consequences.[/quote]

I believed you answered your own question. You asked what words are without meaning. Thus, words without meaning are not real life words. Words without meaning are used without consequence.

[quote=“twocs”]Words without meaning are used without consequence.
[/quote]

Words without meanings are not words, no?
How about meanings with no words? That makes more sense, no?

[quote=“hatch”][quote=“twocs”]Words without meaning are used without consequence.
[/quote]

Words without meanings are not words, no?[/quote]

Bujagugu zenildabot! Twikkle mikkle birgeshaustifful, yeggo minas leggo.

[quote]
How about meanings with no words? That makes more sense, no?[/quote]

:laughing: :smiley: :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :bravo: :blush: :raspberry: :unamused: :help: :yinyang: :whistle: :wanker: :wall: :upyours: :uhhuh: :tic: :thanks: :stinkyface: :serenade: :shocker: :spam: :no-no: :newbie: :heart: :flog: :cluck: :taz: :candycane: :banned: :bluemad: :beer: :boo-hoo: :braveheart: :angel: :bow: :minnie: :mickey: :flowers: :no-no: :liar: