US Expat Needs To File 2013 Tax Return Stat!

So here’s the deal.

I’m a US citizen married to a local Taiwanese who started work in Sept. 2012 and needs to file.

My income is nearly nothing and I don’t own any property. For the last two years I have been out of work and the wife has been supporting us both.

I filed last year $0, but I need to file for sure this year. I’ve reviewed most or all of the forum threads and I feel that I’m a special case and need the help.

Do I get an extension and wait for Taiwan’s tax release and file later. File $0 because my income is way under the amount to be taxed anyways?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Not to be pedantic, but for clarity, you need to file your 2012 tax return, not 2013.

If you’re living overseas, I believe you automatically get a two-month extension. So that should give you until June 15th. However, as far as I know, if you end up owing taxes, then those taxes should be paid by April 15th. I guess how soon you need to start this will depend on whether you’ll owe taxes or not. If you were in Taiwan for most or all of 2012, then I doubt you’ll owe any taxes in the US unless you sold stocks or have other capital gains due to the first 90-something thousand dollars of foreign-earned income being excluded if you meet the overseas residence criteria. You’ll still need to file if you earn more than something like US$5,000 in a year.

I’m not an accountant, so take the above with that in mind. Good luck.

A Zep Fan I see. A fan as well. As long as you don’t break out with Stairway to Heaven. No Quarter is alright with me!

I don’t have any stocks nor have any capital gains at this time. The question is where do I get my “W2”? I have no idea when my school releases them and I have never had to file for taxes here. Can I use my bank statements to show monthly deposits as proof of income? I just want to do the right thing vs. getting audited.

[quote=“kahuna415”]A Zep Fan I see. A fan as well. As long as you don’t break out with Stairway to Heaven. No Quarter is alright with me!

I don’t have any stocks nor have any capital gains at this time. The question is where do I get my “W2”? I have no idea when my school releases them and I have never had to file for taxes here. Can I use my bank statements to show monthly deposits as proof of income? I just want to do the right thing vs. getting audited.[/quote]
I mainly just like the avatar, although I enjoy Led Zeppelin’s music as well.

You’re not going to get an official W2 from a foreign employer. You just have to honestly report your foreign-earned income, and then exclude it using the 2555 form. I don’t think you’ll need proof of your income, but you should have it just in case of an audit. You’ll likely owe nothing, but you still need to file a tax return to avoid problems down the road, especially if you ever want to live in the US in the future.