US Federal Programs for Taiwan?

From time to time there is talk in Washington, D.C. of amending the Taiwan Relations Act . . . . . so I am thinking that maybe Taiwan could be given the right to become eligible for various US federal programs . . . . . . .

What are the important US federal programs that Taiwan would want to take part in?

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and all the programs it overseas, are obvious choices . . . . . . Taiwanese officialdom seems incompetent in dealing with “national disasters” . . . . . . it is just one after another after another . . . . . . .

Obviously, setting up a local office of the US Centers for Disease Control (USCDC) is also desperately needed . . . . .

Any other suggestions for US federal programs that would be of benefit to Taiwan?

I have some contacts here in Washington, D.C. and who knows . . . . . one of these days I might be able to get something rolling.

Um how would we pay for these federal programs. Forget the politics. Let’s talk money. Do we ask ROC citizens to pay US federal taxes? Or are the American people suppose to foot the bill for these social services we offer ROC?

Well, Puerto Rico doesn’t pay federal taxes. Aren’t they eligible for such programs?

I suppose Taiwan could always try Grand Fenwick’s strategy.

:America: :smiley:

Right. The people of Puerto Rico don’t pay federal taxes . . . . . . . and they still participate in a wide variety of federal programs . . . . . . although I don’t have the specific details here at my fingertips.

I think that Falcon’s inquiry is a good one. If anyone has relevant comments or suggestions, I am sure that he would welcome them in this thread.

But Puerto Rico is an official colony of the USA. They had their very own Independence movement that was crushed by imprisonment and assassination of their various leaders.

So not only do you have to get a referendum to make ROC a colony of USA.

You would need to suppress the current Taiwan Independence leadership in ROC.

let us not forget just how quickly the atlanta based CDC arrived in taiwan after SARS hit the fan.

puerto rico is not a colony.

It’s not the 51st state of the USA either. I would make a killing in the flag industry when it does though.

I think we need some consulting services from the U.S. Geological Survey. Here is some information from their website at usgs.gov/

Since 1879
Created by an act of Congress in 1879, the USGS has evolved over the ensuing 120 years, matching its talent and knowledge to the progress of science and technology. Today, the USGS stands as the sole science agency for the Department of the Interior. It is sought out by thousands of partners and customers for its natural science expertise and its vast earth and biological data holdings. The USGS is the science provider of choice in accessing the information and understanding to help resolve complex natural resource problems across the Nation and around the world.

USGS information–on biological resources, on natural hazards, on ground-water availability–is helping society solve many of today’s pressing issues.

Valued by the Nation
The USGS serves the Nation as an independent fact-finding agency that collects, monitors, analyzes, and provides scientific understanding about natural resource conditions, issues, and problems. The value of the USGS to the Nation rests on its ability to carry out studies on a national scale and to sustain long-term monitoring and assessment of natural resources. Because it has no regulatory or management mandate, the USGS provides impartial science that serves the needs of our changing world. The diversity of scientific expertise enables the USGS to carry out large-scale, multi-disciplinary investigations that build the base of knowledge about the Earth. In turn, decision makers at all levels of government–and citizens in all walks of life–have the information tools they need to address pressing societal issues.

People and Products
USGS information provides a gateway to the Earth for decisionmakers and the public.

The USGS employs the best and the brightest experts who bring a range of earth and life science disciplines to bear on problems. By integrating its diverse scientific expertise, the USGS is able to understand complex natural science phenomena and provide scientific products that lead to solutions, making the job of partners and customers easier, whether it is restoring the Florida Everglades, conquering invasions of unwanted and threatening species, unraveling the implications of climate change, or assessing the vulnerability of large metropolitan areas to natural hazards.

Falcon, are you making a joke? Could I be so bold as to ask what you do for a living in D.C.? Fiction writer perhaps? Hired DPP hack?

What the U.S. needs to do is keep everything on an even keel. And to do that is simply a matter of not making a “federal case” out of Outlaw Island. Downplaying Taiwan serves the ends of both the U.S. and the people of Taiwan.

take care,
Brian

Here is a listing of some types of “programs” overseen by the US Department of Energy. So there might be some potential areas of cooperation here. See ostiweb.osti.gov/iaem/

[ul]Arms Control and Nonproliferation
Civilian Radioactive Waste Management
Computer Sciences
Cooperation in the Field of Energy
Defense Programs
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Energy Research and Development
Environmental Management
Environmental Restoration and Waste Management
Environmental Safety Health
Exchange of Information on Research in Life Sciences
Fifth Hemispheric Energy Ministers Meeting
Fossil Energy
Fundamental Science
Fusion Energy
High Energy Physics
Information and/or Personnel Exchange
International Safeguards
Nuclear Energy
Nuclear Verification Technologies
Science and Technology
Uranium Mass Transport [/ul]

US Fish and Wildlife Service fws.gov/
provides funding for
■ Fish and wildlife research.
■ Habitat enhancement.
■ Technical assistance to private landowners.
■ Environmental review of public projects.
■ Land acquisition.
■ Operation and maintenance of areas and facilities.
■ Boating and angler access improvements.
■ Comprehensive planning for fish and wildlife resources.
■ Hunter and aquatic education.

** News from the US Fish and Wildlife Service **
fws.gov/
New Law Safeguards Sea Turtle Populations
Protection of the international sea turtle through partnerships received a significant boost recently as the Marine Turtle Conservation Act was signed into law. Under the new law, sea turtles will be added to the list of species eligible for funding under the Multinational Species Conservation Fund. That fund supports on-the-ground protection, research, and education efforts. It provides a funding source for comprehensive, global coordination and collaboration for individual efforts in developing countries where resources and capacity are limited.

US Food and Drug Administration

The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy, and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, our nation

[quote=“ac_squealer”]But Puerto Rico is an official colony of the USA. They had their very own Independence movement was crushed by imprisonment and assassination of various their various leaders.

You would need to suppress the current Taiwan Independence leadership in ROC.[/quote]
More like crushed at the PR ballot box every time the pro independence side gets about 1.5 percent of the vote in referenda on PR’s future status!

The terrorists were dealt with, as they should have been.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“ac_squealer”]But Puerto Rico is an official colony of the USA. They had their very own Independence movement was crushed by imprisonment and assassination of various their various leaders.

You would need to suppress the current Taiwan Independence leadership in ROC.[/quote]
More like crushed at the PR ballot box every time the pro independence side gets about 1.5 percent of the vote in referenda on PR’s future status!

The terrorists were dealt with, as they should have been.[/quote]

So given your logic the PRC should also deal with the “TI terrorist” on ROC in a similar manner.

After imprisioning and assassinating enough “TI terrorist” for a few decades, I’m sure the TI movement on ROC will also be crushed at the ballot box.

ac

Who are these terrorists? Can you point to their terrorist acts? On what grounds are you calling them terrorists? (remember you refered to people here as ‘terrorists’ without ever justifying it so I’m sure everyone would be interested in your definition)

You know the drill, you need to back up your claims about people. You’ve still got a few others remaining to be backed up or retracted. As the saying goes ‘put up or shut up’. Have you got the balls for another round? :bouncy:

Butcher Boy,

Always up for a game.

Well I guess ROC spies in the PRC would count as one aspect of terrorism the peaceful people in the PRC need to endure.
chinadaily.com.cn/english/do … 336282.htm

Here some articles from PRC point of view of the terrorism they must endure from us ROC patroits with TI aggendas

centurychina.com/plaboard/po … 8932.shtml

straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/eyeone … 83,00.html

english.peopledaily.com.cn/20040 … 46779.html

Let’s hope the rational nation of PRC doesn’t ever adopt the Bush Doctrine of “Pre-emption.” Then they could just invade ROC based on bad intelligence and deal with the international political fall out later.

Oh, well at least I know now where you get all your ideas and ‘facts’ from. :unamused: So squealer, how many Forumosans do you think you’ve converted since you’ve been here? Still think it’s a worthwhile expenditure of your time and bandwidth?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Butcher Boy,

Always up for a game.[/quote]
good good

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well I guess ROC spies in the PRC would count as one aspect of terrorism the peaceful people in the PRC need to endure.[/quote] If you are using the CCP definition of terrorism - Anything that questions our right to power and aims is a terrorist - then you may be right. In the rest pf the world spying does not equal terrorism. I would be worried about premptive US strikes on China if it uses the same definition. I would also guess that there are a few PRC terrorists operating in Taiwan :wink:

So now I am expecting to read some evidence of actuall terrorist attacks…

[quote=“ac_dropout”]http://www.centurychina.com/plaboard/posts/3668932.shtml

straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/eyeone … 83,00.html

English.peopledaily.com.cn/20040 … 46779.html

No nothing in any of those. A few ‘mights’, a couple of ‘speculateds’ and a lot of pouting, but as to evidence of even a single terrorist act that the PRC has had to [color=red]endure[/color] from TIers as you call them, well didily squat. Even the conjecture seem to be talking about acts carried out in retaliation should the PRC launch attacks on Taiwan, which I guess most people, though not the PRC, would call acts of war, not terrorism.

I did notice this comment though in the centurychina link you offered.

Do you think we should expect some PRC sponsored acts of terrorism in Taiwan?

I would have added to this, but AC Squealer has already been schooled by Butcher Boy. Way to go…

AC Squealer :loco:
Butcher Boy :notworthy: