US granddaughter Grandpa Taiwan Will

My grandpa put me in his will and I’m Us citizen & Taiwan citizen. He put my name on multiple properties in Taiwan. I’m planning on getting married to my bf and of course my grandpa is traditional so he does not know. The rest of my family knows.

But just wondering if I change my last name getting married in US, Will it affect my inheritance from my grandpa in Taiwan?

Help pls!
If so we’ll postpone the official marriage

Also anyone have any recommended prenup lawyers in WA?? That doesn’t cost a fortune?
Thank you!!

Wouldn’t the will in Taiwan be in Chinese language and use your Chinese (character) citizen name? Ask grandpa.
As such, it seems Taiwan (actually R.O.C.) would still recognize you by your R.O.C. citizenship (ID card, etc.) by your Chinese name (and not your English name in the U.S.).

1 Like

As far as I know you no longer need to take your future spouse to be’s name when getting married. I know my wife kept her name. In any case your original name would be, in legal terms, your née. So you would be referred to as your married name (Jane Citizen née Jane Doe) in regards to any legal documents.

Further to KHH’s comment you will need to update your status with the Teco office. There’s some paperwork to fill out and you need to supply a notarised copy of your marriage certificate. The Teco office will certify the Marriage Certificate with whichever state issued it. After that you need to update your Taiwan registrations (household certificate and insurance if I remember right).

2 Likes