US hospital bill seems a little high?

I had stomach issues and decided to stay overnight at a hospital in the US earlier this year, just got the bill and it seems a little high? If they told me the price I would’ve just went home but they refuse to tell you until half a year later. No surgeries or anything, they just injected me with some nutrient stuff because I was low on some metals.

I was fully insured by international health insurance, so not sure how much I’ll actually end up paying, however it’s half a year after the fact and my insurance hasn’t paid yet.

Any tips on negotiating the price down?

Why is the hospital bill so high? It’s the United States, my friend. The only country in the developed world that still refuses to provide affordable healthcare.

18 Likes

If the Hospital sends a reminder, just refer them to your Insurance Company.

Failing that, get someone else to tell them that the sight of the Bill caused you to have a Heart Attack and that you had died and the estate had no assets,

7 Likes

Also I should not have ordered in room food service. I thought it was free but it’s a couple hundred dollars for breakfast.

7 Likes

If it makes you feel better, the bottles of saline I bought last week were NT$8 each for 20 mL rather than US$71.50 for 10 mL.

3 Likes

Don’t assume anything is free when it comes to US healthcare. They charge you every time you turn around and breathe their air.

There’s a reason why Americans are extremely hesitant to go to the doctor, often not going until they’ve got one foot in the grave.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what’s the majority of the cost? I assume the first item is “room and board, semi-private”, which leaves like $24k for the rest of the bill.

Seems like complete extortion though. I’m always surprised when I see these bills that a majority of Americans don’t want to, you know, burn shit down and start again.

4 Likes

It says you can call customer service if you have any questions. Have you tried?

1 Like

Welcome to the United States.

Now you understand why people complain about healthcare in the US?

They have silly charges, like 5000 dollars for ambulance ride, 5000 dollars for some silly injections that are 5 dollars elsewhere, legal fees, etc.

Next time remember don’t ever get sick in the US.

4 Likes

Here’s a large one. I think it was the diagnosis room where I met the doctor.

Also some large charges around using the emergency room

2k per hour while I rested in the room and waited for their diagnosis

3 Likes

Jesus. Hope you got a good rest.

7 Likes

In Taiwan they charged me a quarter of that for a 3 week stay and a couple of surgeries.
Including semi-private room, food drips, saline drips, morphine drips.

If you can’t pay I think you can negotiate somewhat.

3 Likes

I thought you were American. Why are you writing as if you were a foreigner shocked by the hospital bill in America? Shouldn’t you be aware of that?

10 Likes

It’s my first time visiting the ER, I was expecting around a 3k bill

You’re insured with Cigna, so the insurance company will take care of it.

2 Likes

Found your problem.

5 Likes

Fuck me I had two new brains installed in Taiwan last year for less than that.

14 Likes

What was wrong with the first one?

2 Likes

Rooted mate. Took two hours to get it going in the morning and two hours to close it down at night.

7 Likes

The US is a third world dump. Complain to the hospital, your insurer and the state regulator where this hospital is located. You have to threaten to sue and be aggressive for them to do anything esp with your bs insurer who should have paid for most of this of it was covered but seems like maybe it was out of network so they will screw you. I’m so glad I left the freaking US, what a world class $hithole

2 Likes