US image abroad will take years to fix

Fred,

It wouldn’t be a by invitation thing. Anywhere on earth where innocents were being targeted this international force of highly trained volunteers of all nations would move in and set up a sanctuary. Kind of like a Red Cross on steroids. It would avoid getting involved in the warring. It wouldn’t try to fix an unfixable country – thus avoiding the whole Somalia mess. Its mandate would merely be to preserve innocent life when countries fell into chaos.

It would be made up entirely of volunteers. For example, Mother Theresa could sign up for two years of sanctuary work with this international force. He would be given six months of intensive training in weapons, tactics, police methods, language, then deployed to say, Haiti, where he join a force of Belgians, other Americans, Aussies, Chinese, French enforcing a neutral sanctuary zone. He would be paid say $50,000 U.S. per year plus room and board, all tax free. For every two year stint he signed up for, he’d get an additional six months of training that would build on his initial six months of basic training.

This force would have gone into Belgrade in the early stages of the disintegration of the Yugoslav republic and put a quick end to Serb snipers shooting civilians on the streets. It would have gone into Ruanda and saved the hundreds of thousands of non-combatants who were slaughtered there. It would have gone into Somalia during the famine years and set up a sanctuary, all the while scrupulously staying neutral and avoiding the rabbit hole of nation building.

Spook: In order to hsave prevented Serb snipers from taking pot-shots in the initial stages of the disintegration of Yugoslavia, this force would have had to have been sent to Sarajevo not Belgrade. Anyway, it began to fall apart much before the conflict in Bosnia. Sorry for being a pedant.

It was the Germans who encouraged their WWII allies the Croatians and Bosnians to break away from Yugoslavia (after the 1980 death of Tito) in the late 1980’s early 1990’s that led to the Balkan War. Why am I NOT surprised? :unamused:

encyclopedia4u.com/h/history … Yugoslavia

Spook: I know. my point was that sniping took place in Sarajevo and not Belgrade as you mentioned. No big deal though. Incidentally, I stopped over at Zagreb airport en route to Sofia the same week the Serbs bombed it. Phew! Lucky to be alive or what?