US Income Tax Help

I use TurboTax. Since I have investments, I make sure it is the version that can handle investments. You can get a Foreign Income Exemption of around US$100,000.

You can ask your employer for your tax forms. According to the IRS, for filing 2018 taxes, US$1 = NT$30.8370

My emoloyer doesn’t know what tax forms to give me. They said they just go to the tax office. Do you know what I can tell them I need?

First, file an extension to U.S. IRS. May be past date, but better late than never.
Second, file on May 1 or 2 in Taiwan (always file in-person early, you get more help).
Third, ask for 2 copies of English language tax filing receipt when you file in Taiwan in May.
Fourth, use those receipts to help you file for U.S.

If you are making over U$50,000, suck it up and find a CPA in the U.S. May cost U$1000 for services, but you are less likely to have filing problems.

1 Like

It’s not all that hard to file US taxes on your own. Just google the 1040 pdf form and the instructions and go through it step by step, downloading the different forms you need. I just fill the pdf in on my computer, print it up, and mail it in to some address in TX. You’ll be using the foreign income exclusion. If you’re single, worked for a Taiwanese employer, and don’t have too much in interest dividends/capital gains, you probably can get whatever was deducted from your US wages refunded with such low earnings. If you’re self-employed though, you’re in a world of hurt.

If you’re American, this article is guaranteed to piss you off. :rage:

It’s a long one, but worth the read.

2 Likes