US Presidential Election 2004 VI

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“twocs”]You got the facts wrong. Mother Theresa recently posted the photographs of their previous encounters: Edwards meets Edwards

Cheney has met Edwards at least three times: at a prayer breakfast in 2001, at Elizabeth Dole’s swearing-in ceremony in 2003, and backstage at Meet the Press.[/quote]

OK, so they met thrice, not twice, prior to the debate. My statements above still stand.

Bush wants to lower taxes and simplify them at the same time. Kerry has “complained” that his taxes are too low all the while using every deduction available in our current overcomplicated tax law.

If Kerry really thinks his taxes are too low, why is he opposed to simplifying the tax code - a move that would do away with many of the tax loopholes Kerry utilizes now to reduce his tax burden?[/quote]

You can admit that you made a mistake, but Bush can’t talk about his mistakes for fear of embarrassing some of his mistakes (appointees).

It’s not a mature argument that Kerry should pay the wrong amount (too much) of taxes because he sees the tax law as wrong. The reason Kerry’s taxes were so low is that he took out a $6 million dollar second mortgage on his house to pay for his primary race. Bush didn’t need to worry about that.

Bush planned to tighten some loopholes this year (post), but most of the cut comes at the expense of US infrastructure. $45 billion in eliminated loopholes, but $33 billion of which is a loophole in name, in which local governments raise money by leasing out their subways, bridges, waterworks and other infrastructure to private investors who get tax breaks. A Washington Metro system spokesman said such a change could cost the subway $16 million or more a year, when it already faces large, unfunded capital needs.

Simplifying the tax codes has been House Majority Leader Richard Gephard’s (Dem) goal for thirty years. He has been pushing to simplifying the tax codes since long before the GOP wanted to. But simplifying tax codes in the past has brought criticism for opening new loopholes. I didn’t hear Kerry saying, “Simplifying the tax codes is inherently wrong.” I just hear you saying that Kerry opposes them. I feel taxes are best dealt with bipartisanly.

Gephard’s idea is not to simplify and cut the taxes of the highest paid people. Gephard said, “My view of economics is that you build from the bottom up and not the top down,” he said. “People talk about ‘trickle-down’ being effective, but it takes a hundred years. But ‘trickle-up’ is anti-gravity. It goes straight up, immediately,” he said.

The people of the US voted out the Republicans and brought in the Democrats, perhaps frustrated by the slow progress of trickle down economics. Now we have another Republican president, but looking carefully at Bush, I’m sure most people can see that you get some good and some bad. He says the good is good enough, but I’ve found it hard to trust him like I did four years ago.

So why does Kerry oppose tax code simplification now? Here’s his chance to act in a bi-partisan effort…

If you were running against the fella for VP of the USA i think you might remember. I think you might check as well if you were going to go for a head to head debate live on national TV. And certainly you would check if you were going to use that line of attack and indeed that particularly cute put-down line.

If he was exagerating to make a point he could have said ‘almost the first time’ and he would have been ok. He didn’t. Cheney got caught bullshitting. simple as. Accept it.

Dammit Butcher Boy, you can’t hold Halfwit Republican Traitors to the same standards of truth that you would hold normal people. Their perversion of the American Way will not stop until the Eagle has it’s talons buried in the flesh of a dozen countries. Cheney can announce tomorrow that he is Zeus incarnate, and the neocons will “give him the benefit of the doubt”.

Did they meet before or after after Edwards ran for the Dem’s nomination or he was named VP candidate? If before, then there is no reason for Cheney to have remembered him.

No argument there. My point is in rebuttal to the claim that Cheney LIED re the previous meetings. It could well have been a case of poor memory… and I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Cheney in believing that he didn’t lie… I am not arguing that he wasn’t careless in making his remark.

Not so simple as per my statements above… and not really of major import, IMO.

So why does Kerry oppose tax code simplification now? Here’s his chance to act in a bi-partisan effort…[/quote]

Tax simplification results in higher taxes for some groups. Bush wants to cut taxes to make up for those higher taxes, but in actuality Kerry feels that the lower and middle classes will end up paying higher taxes. Rich people will get away with not paying like Bush said they will always do.

Tigerman wrote:

You either remember somebody or you don’t. My mind is agile enough that I don’t need who I met to be pounded into my head (certainly not three times).
Moreover, the way Cheney laid that out during the debate sounded very much like it had been script-fed to him.
Anyway, if he was “exaggerating to make a point” away from the facts that he was aware of, that is just the kind of exaggeration that America does not need.
“Of course Bush knew there were no WMD, he’s not stupid. He was only exaggerating to make a point of the ‘need’ to get rid of Saddam.” etc…

I think it is wonderful that the website that Cheney was trying to send people to was not willing to agree that their own site exonerated him in any way. Hilarious the disclaimer language that promptly showed up after the veep debate.

Love how Tigerman is running about in full spin mode, trying to find excuses to cover up for Cheney-lie minutiae. Does it matter that Cheney can’t tell the truth about how many times he met Edwards? The more important question is: Why does Cheney bother to lie about ridiculously small things? Why do Republicans reflexively rush to defend even the stupidest lies?

The desperateness of the Republicans at this stage is so transparent, the sweat flying off their fingertips and dripping from their brows in their feverish state. Hope Tigerman’s wearing deodorant – the cold sweat of fear smells the worst.

It’s brief enough so I will post the text in full.

[quote](Oct. 12) – Employees of a private voter registration company allege that hundreds, perhaps thousands of voters who may think they are registered will be rudely surprised on election day. The company claims hundreds of registration forms were thrown in the trash.

Anyone who has recently registered or re-registered to vote outside a mall or grocery store or even government building may be affected.

The I-Team has obtained information about an alleged widespread pattern of potential registration fraud aimed at Democrats. The focus of the story is a private registration company called Voters Outreach of America.

The out-of-state firm has been in Las Vegas for the past few months, registering voters. It employed up to 300 part-time workers and collected hundreds of registrations per day, but former employees of the company say that Voters Outreach of America only wanted Republican registrations.

Two former workers say they personally witnessed company supervisors rip up and trash registration forms signed by Democrats.

“We caught her taking Democrats out of my pile, handed them to her assistant and he ripped them up right in front of us. I grabbed some of them out of the garbage and she tells her assisatnt to get those from me,” said Eric Russell, former Voters Outreach employee.

Eric Russell managed to retrieve a pile of shredded paperwork including signed voter registration forms, all from Democrats. We took them to the Clark County Election Department and confirmed that they had not, in fact, been filed with the county as required by law.

So the people on those forms who think they will be able to vote on Election Day are sadly mistaken. We attempted to speak to Voters Outreach but found that its office has been rented out to someone else.

The landlord says Voters Outreach was evicted for non-payment of rent. Another source said the company has now moved on to Oregon where it is once again registering voters. It’s unknown how many registrations may have been tossed out, but another ex-employee told Eyewitness News she had the same suspicions when she worked there.

It’s going to take a while to sort all of this out, but the immediate concern for voters is to make sure you really are registered.

It seems that they have learned well from Uncle Stalin. Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything. Or in this case, those who conduct voter registration.
[/quote]

source: klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp … v=168XRvNe

Voter fraud committed by anyone or any party is disgraceful.

They pulled their stunt in Oregon as well. Oh, and last Saturday night every Kerry sign on every lawn in my home town mysteriously disappeared.

The AFL-CIO has attacked Bush offices in at least 20 cities. Bush signs have been burned and cars vandalized.

opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110005741
montereyherald.com/mld/monte … 878020.htm
news-miner.com/Stories/0,141 … 63,00.html
wbir.com/news/search_article … ryid=20241

Where are the Pinkertons when you need em :smiling_imp:

This is an ad from Tennessee Democrat Craig Fitzhugh. Class. Real class.

congress.org/congressorg/e4/ … &id=114501

whenangrydemocratsattack.com/

100% agreement. Nothing is worse than when someone on either side attempts to win an election in a less than honest way. I can even accept having a Republican in the White House as long as the person was elected without any dishonest tactics being used.

More allegations of voter fraud… in Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia and Wisconsin…

This is a national disgrace. I would support very strict punishment for anyone found guilty of such actions.

‘Mickey Mouse’ backs Nader

[quote]A US state court has knocked independent candidate Ralph Nader off Pennsylvania’s US presidential ballot, citing thousands of fraudulent signatures including “Mickey Mouse” and “Fred Flintstone”.

“In reviewing signatures, it became apparent that, in addition to signing names such as ‘Mickey Mouse’, ‘Fred Flintstone’, ‘John Kerry’, and the ubiquitous ‘Ralph Nader’, there were thousands of names that were created at random and then randomly assigned either existent or non-existent addresses by the circulators.”
[/quote]

Where are the Pinkertons when you need em :smiling_imp:[/quote]

I think they are all working contract security in Baghdad and Kabul.

Actually, the problem is mostly the Democraps:
billhobbs.com/hobbsonline/cat_voter_fraud.html

Not only do they commit far more outright vote fraud – through the “graveyard vote” and union-sponsored fraud – they also block all attempts to reform the system by requiring IDs. In fact, the “motor-voter” law that the Democraps forced through under Clinton specifically prohibited state DMVs from asking for any form of proof of citizenship.