US/ROC Dual Citizen Traveling to Taiwan

Hi,

I was born in Taiwan and migrated to the US when I was a teenager. I am now a naturalized US citizen planning a trip back to Taiwan.

My father asked me to enter Taiwan with the ROC passport so we can get some official paperworks done while I’m there (I think it requires me to get a Taiwanese ID). So, just to make sure that I won’t run into any problems, can I

1. Leave US on US passport
  2. Enter Taiwan using ROC passport
  3. Leave Taiwan using ROC passport
  4. Re-enter US with US passport

Also, since I’m over the age of 35, military service should not be an issue, right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[quote=“fchangus2”]Hi,

I was born in Taiwan and migrated to the US when I was a teenager. I am now a naturalized US citizen planning a trip back to Taiwan.

My father asked me to enter Taiwan with the ROC passport so we can get some official paperworks done while I’m there (I think it requires me to get a Taiwanese ID). So, just to make sure that I won’t run into any problems, can I

1. Leave US on US passport
  2. Enter Taiwan using ROC passport
  3. Leave Taiwan using ROC passport
  4. Re-enter US with US passport

Also, since I’m over the age of 35, military service should not be an issue, right?

Thanks in advance for your help.[/quote]

Yes, that’s how you would enter. Getting a Taiwanese ID could be problem at this late stage of the game. There’s been some policy changes in this in the past year and half. In any event, even though you are over 35, military service issue may still be in effect. I am on the hook until 40.

Your passport usage is correct. The only thing you need to worry about is military service.

As far as I know… military service is possible until you are 40, unless there has been changes made in the last year.

Probably best to check out your local Taipei Economic and Cultural Office and also give the OCAC (www.ocac.gov.tw) a call as they deal with these type of problems and should be familiar with the law.

Getting your National ID also requires you to stay in Taiwan for over three months, and needs the reactivation of your 戶籍 (residency)