US Sec of State Certifies Hong Kong No Longer Autonomous

Not sure what the UK can do

Nope. That’s why I said it isn’t. The prerequisite for doing business anywhere is thinking you’re going to make money. That’s why we buy things from China- because it’s cheaper.

1 Like

you could say the same thing about america if they chose to do nothing if china wanted to do the same with taiwan.

The US holds out the possibility of military intervention which it is capable of

Sadly I’m not sure Britain can do the same in HKs case

1 Like

The UK lost the game when they entered negotiations with China. Trusting an evil and oppressive regime to comply with a deal without any real mechanism for dispute resolution is just dumb.

In 1990 there was an asshole bully I knew who would tease a HK exchange student, saying “You’re gonna be a communist” over and over again. Even that 14 year old asshole knew what would happen.

5 Likes

You act like UK had a choice.

3 Likes

Joint statements don’t stop oppressive regimes

Because england dipped out of the last war in iraq right? Anyway i’m not talking about that. America is doing a bunch of stuff right now to stick it to china, England who are directly involved in this hong kong situation, and had the most coronavirus deaths in europe, so should be clued up about china currently have so far done very little, unsurprising but disappointing nonetheless.

3 Likes

How the mighty British empire has fallen.

https://www.ft.com/content/0cf70de8-fd10-4a5c-8303-fbd2b0b3811e

Dominic Raab, foreign secretary, has pledged to extend visa rights for British National (Overseas) passport holders and facilitate their path to British citizenship unless Beijing rows back from plans to impose national security laws on Hong Kong.

Fan of narcoterrorism, eh? That picture came from the war when China was trying to stop drug peddling, which was having a devastating effect on the Chinese population, and the British were demanding the right to push opium.
What next, you put up a picture shedding tears for Pablo Escobar?

Ideally the people of Hong Kong should be able to reside securely at home, but that’s not going to happen.The U.S, Britain, Canada, Australia, and NZ should get together and offer immigration visas to HKers. Sanctions will not do anything for the people of Hong Kong, but the sight of tens of thousands voluntarily leaving China for Western countries will help them at least.

1 Like

Where did you get all of that? The point was the British could throw their weight around…now they can’t. Jeez

1 Like

Good.

1 Like

Good. Hopefully one day some former colony will rule Britain for a century, loot and plunder them and teach them what it was to do it to others. And yes … not even apologize for it.

Maybe one day there will be a placard outside a restaurant in London saying “dogs and britishers not allowed”

Chinese have a hateful passive aggressive personality. Can’t expect good customer service from someone like that.

This is from the same line of arguments as " punishing drug dealers will leave their children homeless and hungry."

1 Like

they’ve actually been steadily flooding HK with mainlanders for years to have the majority in elections

2 Likes

I think the strategic reason for HK protests was to ignite mainlander hatred towards Cantonese speakers inside China. Cantonese are not really Chinese, they were invaded by China back in the day. DNA studies show majority of HK men have Han Chinese DNA while women retain DNA of local tribes remotely related to Austronesians (Vietnamese etc…), as is the language. Which goes to show Han Chinese killed off all the males in these tribes back in the day and took their women.

Once Han mainlanders would start picking on Cantonese inside mainland, the civilized world would help Guangdong, the economic powerhouse of China, secede.

1 Like