US Senators visit Taiwan with good news

Universally available means available to everyone, not everyone over 16.

It may have been available in my state prior to my knowledge, but I didn’t make any claims to that regard.

you remember wrong.

here’s maryland, april.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-hs-hogan-coronavirus-vaccinations-20210405-atdlhed4k5c5pdwmkkbm3jsx6u-story.html

georgia, march.

Pennsylvania. I’m going up for a touch-up procedure but I’m bringing my bike in case they got a trail.

LOL I don’t live in Maryland or Georgia.

What part of PA?
Not been to much of western PA when I was younger, but know the central part rather well when growing up. Love the Susquehanna River, and through Harrisburg, etc, and of course around Getttysburg.

So Virginia. They’ve had vaccine access for all adults since mid April. So you waited almost a month to get your first shot, and despite there being no shortage, don’t want the U.S. to send out some of our spare vaccines until you get your second shot. What the hell dude?

2 Likes

Yea, VA. Addressed now. I assumed MD since you kept talking Ft Meade (but not like MD is so far from VA).

GA was brought up as it was an early state, with a different timeline for availability to show that states controlled who had access, since you said you didn’t remember that when it became available was a state thing, not a federal thing.

So you’re under 16? What the hell are you talking about man.

The May 1 deadline, which the US beat by a couple of weeks, was for adults, not teenagers.

Today, in the next phase of our vaccination effort, the President will announce that he will direct states, Tribes, and territories to make all adults eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine no later than May 1st.

Read your own links!

Anyway, your comment that the US shouldn’t donate vaccines until you’ve had your 2nd shot implied that there was some issue with vaccine availability in the US, which there is not. And it comes off as self-centered and arrogant, especially given the fact that you’re delaying your 2nd shot for convenience.

The US can start donating vaccines and your 2nd shot will be waiting for you if you ever have the time for it, busy man.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll go by the Susquehanna. My place is at the Ohio border.

Wait, this is more important to you than finishing your COVID vaccination regimen?

If so, many of your posts are starting to make more sense to me.

Guy

3 Likes

I got no issue with that. But then to say there u.s. shouldn’t be helping with vaccines because he hasn’t gotten his second shot? :roll_eyes:

According to folks like Joseph Nye (I posted about this in the Open Thread), it’s absolutely in the geopolitical interests of the US to help out through what Nye envisions as a vaccine “Marshall Plan.”

If forumosans are interested, they can have a look at Nye’s argument here:

Guy

His Paradox of American Power has got to be among the most boring books I’ve read all the way through.

I can finish it when I get back. What’s the big deal?

When will you get back? I have Blinken on the other line and he wants to know when we can get the donations going.

3 Likes

Hey, I also like Schroedinger’s Cake!

4 Likes

Leave that cat alone! :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

There wasn’t a pandemic in Taiwan back then.

It’s not the brand it’s the side effects people are worried about. If there’s nothing to worried about, why are people getting AZ in japan and USA?

People were promised Pfizer and Moderna at the time. Of course they’d wait. And you just proved the point that people should have the choice when they have the choice. Nobody was expecting this pandemic in Taiwan, and in fact, the pandemic could have been prevented if things were done right. And you’re not proving me wrong either. Aren’t people getting vaccinated now that they have no choice? It’s always 20/20 from hind sight. Thing is, we don’t have as much fortune telling talents in Taiwan back then and right now. At that time it was a reasonable choice for people who’s not a psychic.

When you say this, you continue to demonstrate that you don’t understand what a pandemic is. By definition, pandemics are global. That’s what differentiates them from epidemics. They aren’t “in” specific countries. Taiwan is part of the world, and is therefore part of a global pandemic, as we can now see clearly. It was only a matter of time before there was local spread, and it was therefore foolish for anyone to be picky about brands of vaccines. Even more foolish now. People are dying as a result of your type of misguided thinking.

1 Like

That’s a bit much. Maybe time to reel it back in a few feet. Pretty soon you’ll be seeing blood on people’s hands.

1 Like

A few feet to “this type of thinking caused many people to get sick and for some to die.”

Notwithstanding the fact that “pandemic” means global, “if things were done right” wasn’t just a government responsibility. People let their guards down because they were too confident that the virus wouldn’t or couldn’t get into TW, or that if it did, it wouldn’t start to spread freely. Dodge a lot of bullets and you start to feel invincible.

So mask wearing fell off anywhere it wasn’t required (and even then you could easily find people not wearing masks or not wearing them properly in places where it was technically required). There was no social distancing in many indoor venues. Large events were being held all the time. People paid no attention to close contact. Hell, during the bubble year, I couldn’t count the number of times I was somewhere where someone was coughing a lot and most people paid no attention because hey it couldn’t be COVID, right? Even though you really couldn’t be sure.

So yeah, “if things were done right”.