[US State Dept. allegations] Human trafficking in Taiwan

I just can’t resist!
I told you so!

chinapost.com.tw/cp/opinion/letter1.htm

[quote]Taiwan Quick Take: CLA considers reforms

Friday, Jun 09, 2006,Page 3

Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) officials said yesterday that they were considering including family helpers under the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法) to protect their interests. The officials made the remarks after this week’s release of the US’ annual Trafficking in Persons Report by the US State Department, which downgraded Taiwan’s labor situation to the “Tier 2 watch list” as a result of the excessive amount of work many foreign caregivers are given. The officials said the council still had to work out many details, such as fixing what would be considered reasonable working conditions for foreign caregivers. The council plans to conduct several surveys of foreign caregivers and consult with experts before making its recommendations.
[/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003312461

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]I just can’t resist!
I told you so!

[/quote]

So, which one of the 100+ letters to the editor are you quoting from? I don’t have the attention span to read through over 100 different letters from god knows who to understand the point you are trying to make and how it relates to human trafficking.

Sorry,

[quote]Free trade can help promote human rights

2006/05/26
Eric W. Lier,Taichung

A delegation of U.S. trade negotiators recently arrived in Taiwan to begin free trade agreement negotiations. This letter is directed to them as all other attempts by Americans living in Taiwan to express concerns have fallen on deaf ears.

In the ever shrinking arsenal in the battle for freedom and democracy, free trade is one of America’s most effective tools for promoting democracy and human rights throughout the world.

A free trade agreement with Taiwan would have great benefits for both sides. During the many years of the Cold War, Taiwan was the front line in the war against communist Chinese expansion in East Asia. With the end of the Cold War came the global economy and unprecedented access for all and competition for America’s huge consumer market.

Many in Taiwan and the U.S. fail to recognize publicly that the advancement of human rights in Taiwan have stalled for well over a half a million inhabitants, including Americans who do not hold National Chinese citizenship. All too often legal immigrants and migrants face “human and civil rights abuses” at the hands of the Taiwan government. These incidents are increasing in number and further progress towards human or civil rights in Taiwan is proving impossible through internal political or legal means, only direct pressure from the U.S. can end the “suffering” of thousands of legal immigrants and migrants in Taiwan.

A free-trade agreement between the United States and Taiwan would provide recognition of Taiwan’s status as a free and democratic nation while further enhancing Taiwan’s prosperity. However, there is still vast room for progress in respect for human rights as well as the few civil rights that are legislated but often ignored for over a half million people legally residing in Taiwan who do not hold ROC nationality.

Equally as important should be the interest of Americans in terms of reciprocation of rights, freedom and market access in Taiwan when negotiating preferential free-trade agreements. Many of us in Taiwan are pleading with the U.S. trade delegation in urging U.S. President George W. Bush to support not just Taiwanese or American corporations when negotiating free trade but also Americans and the ever growing number of legal immigrants who continue to “suffer” here.[/quote]

Hang on, I certainly don’t doubt the existence of touring pedophiles in Asia. while I do think this may have dropped off in Thailand to some extent, it is still happening and people are regularly caught. [/quote]

I don’t doubt the existence of touring pedophiles either. My point was merely provide a simile to the topic of human trafficking, which appears to support some of the statements you made:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I simply don’t get these stories, I mean why would you want to traffic an unwilling prostitute when there are millions more, erh, banging the doors down trying to get in voluntarily?

I suspect it’s mostly bullshit. There have been reports elsewhere, most recently in the post-tsunami tales of trafficking women in Thailand, that suggest it is mostly bullshit.

…figures such as “about 800,000-900,000” simply don’t cut the mustard. How were these numbers derived? Under scrutiny, and when put to organisations overseeing the interests of say prostitutes themselves, who obviously are not interested in being undercut by underpaid sex slaves, these figures simply never stand up. The claimers of people trafficking never provide actual figures. The post-tsunami hysteria that hundreds of thousands of kids were being thrown into enforced prostitution was a classic example. People involved in supporting prostitutes simply did not see any evidence at all of an increase in unwilling patrticipants. Do you recall that missing Swede boy? Remember he too was supposedly nabbed by pedophiles. That too turned out to be complete bullshit.

Sure, it makes sense to be concerned about the issue, but lets see how serious it is before telling everyone the sky is falling. [/quote]

I agree. Other nationals who have been arrested notwithstanding, not a single Canadian has been charged under Canada’s anti sex tourism laws. Why not? I mean the reason the laws were enacted in the first place was because of the sordid tales of middle-aged Canadian men flocking to Asia (particularly Thailand) to have sex with little girls.

Anyway, as I said, it was only meant to be a simile to the thread’s topic, and to show that stories without any hard data could be nothing more than a storm in a teacup.

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]I just can’t resist!
I told you so!

chinapost.com.tw/cp/opinion/letter1.htm [/quote]

Am I missing something here?

Eric are you not quoting yourself here from a letter to the China Post in an effort to support your own opinion on the matter?

I assumed from your quote here that you were suggesting that you were not the only one who held this opinion as evidenced by what was in the China Post. But you yourself authored that!

[quote]Am I missing something here?

Eric are you not quoting yourself here from a letter to the China Post in an effort to support your own opinion on the matter?

I assumed from your quote here that you were suggesting that you were not the only one who held this opinion as evidenced by what was in the China Post. But you yourself authored that!
_________________[/quote]
Yes, you are right of course. I have committed a grave error and given in to the temptation to substantiate my outrageous claims.

[quote]I just can’t resist!
I told you so!
Quote:
only direct pressure from the U.S. can end the “suffering” of thousands of legal immigrants and migrants in Taiwan.

Quote:
Taiwan Quick Take: CLA considers reforms

Friday, Jun 09, 2006,Page 3

Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) officials said yesterday that they were considering including family helpers under the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法) to protect their interests. The officials made the remarks after this week’s release of the US’ annual Trafficking in Persons Report by the US State Department, which downgraded Taiwan’s labor situation to the “Tier 2 watch list” as a result of the excessive amount of work many foreign caregivers are given. The officials said the council still had to work out many details, such as fixing what would be considered reasonable working conditions for foreign caregivers. The council plans to conduct several surveys of foreign caregivers and consult with experts before making its recommendations.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003312461[/quote]
Those claims being that the DPP government could care less about the human rights of over a half million New Taiwanese immigrants legally residing in Taiwan and only direct pressure from the US can bring about any progress where Taiwan is concerned.
I humbly apologize for this unthinkable transgression and beg your forgiveness.

I still don’t get what you were trying to show with the links that you posted after your ‘I told you so’ remark? But then maybe this is why your letter writing campaigns and efforts over the years have failed to show any tangible results. Maybe the recipients of those letters are just as perplexed as I am as to what you are trying to say :s

UK citizens have been prosecuted for sex tourism abroad on their return to the UK. Gary glitter of course was prosecuted while in Cambodia and went to jail for pedophilia in the UK. The Uk government will prosecute any UK citizen it discovers having any kind of sexual relations with underage prostitutes anywhere in the world. It is interesting that the Canadian governement have prosecuted no one (as was claimed by a previous message), why is that ? As far as i know the British government has.
Germany i believe also has a similar law.
The Germans have a decent (in my opinion) law on prostitution in Berlin ie it is legal while pimping is not. They go after the pimps that control the prostitutes and make it as easy as possible for the prostitutes to work for themselves independantly of a pimp. All legal prostitutes are therefore adults, tested for sexual diseases and of course pay taxes from their large incomes (large incomes for a few years). Progress i would say!
oh by the way in England a girl can have sex and get married at sixteen if mum and dad say ok but under no circumstances can they drive a car or drink alcohol until they are 18 even if dad says you can drive or go to the pub and have a pint.
WEIRD ENGLISH LAWS

The report put out by the defacto American embassy called AIT or the American Institute in Taiwan, is a little more comprehensive.

[quote] TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS REPORT - 2006 REPORT
TAIWAN
(TIER 2 WATCH LIST)

Taiwan is primarily a destination for men, women, and children trafficked for forced labor and sexual exploitation. Women from the P.R.C. and Southeast Asian countries are trafficked to Taiwan for sexual exploitation and forced labor. Women and children, primarily from Vietnam, are trafficked to Taiwan through the use of fraudulent marriages, deceptive employment offers, and illegal smuggling for commercial sexual exploitation and forced labor.

A significant share of foreign workers �X primarily from Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines �X are recruited legally for low-skilled jobs in Taiwan’s construction, fishing, or manufacturing industries or as domestic servants, and are subjected to forced labor or involuntary servitude by labor agencies or employers upon arrival in Taiwan. Many of these contract migrant workers come from poor rural areas and are forced to pay up to $8,000 to recruitment agencies or brokers for a job in Taiwan, resulting in substantial debt that labor agencies and/or employers use as a tool for involuntary servitude. The process for recruitment and placement of the 350,000 foreign workers in Taiwan �X half of whom are caregivers working in private residences and not protected by Taiwan’s labor law �X lacks regulation and oversight and may therefore lead to situations of involuntary servitude. The recruitment of foreign brides primarily from Vietnam, but also from other Southeast Asian nations, is poorly controlled and, as a consequence, has become a major conduit for the trafficking of girls and women into the Taiwan sex trade, as well as for forced labor. To a much lesser extent, there is internal trafficking of children for sexual exploitation and trafficking of a small and declining number of Taiwan women to Japan for commercial sexual exploitation.

Taiwan authorities do not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking; however, they are making significant efforts to do so. Taiwan is placed on Tier 2 Watch List for its failure to show evidence of increasing efforts over the past year to address trafficking, despite ample resources to do so, particularly to address the serious level of forced labor and sexual servitude among legally migrating Southeast Asian contract workers and brides. Taiwan authorities need to demonstrate political will in tackling the trafficking in persons problem on the island. Taiwan should also develop a clear policy and action plan that adequately covers sex trafficking and involuntary servitude among foreign workers and brides. Comprehensive anti-trafficking legislation that criminalizes all forms of trafficking is critical to punishing traffickers who currently operate with relative impunity.

Taiwan has improved its collaboration with local and international NGOs to protect victims of trafficking, particularly P.R.C. citizens, and some members of its legislature are attempting to pass comprehensive anti-trafficking legislation. However, there continue to be concerns over the treatment of the large number of Vietnamese brides present in Taiwan. Taiwan officials concede that the process for admitting foreign brides is not sufficiently monitored, noting that 47 percent of Vietnamese brides in Taipei county are not living with their Taiwanese husbands. Taiwan also remains a destination for foreign workers. The oversight system for their recruitment and stay in Taiwan is not adequately scrutinized. Twenty thousand of the 350,000 foreign contract workers in Taiwan are “runaways” who have left their site of employment in Taiwan for a variety of reasons, including abuse or conditions of involuntary servitude. Taiwan authorities view most runaways as workers seeking to remain in Taiwan illegally, and therefore treat them as law-breakers, detaining and then deporting them immediately upon capture. Labor rights and anti-trafficking NGOs claim �X with detailed accounts �X that many of these runaway workers escaped conditions of bonded or forced labor or sexual servitude.

Prosecution

Taiwan has a number of related laws that may be used to prosecute traffickers, including laws against slavery and exploiting children in prostitution, but it does not have comprehensive anti-trafficking legislation. On April 13, 2006, Taiwan’s Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) announced that businesses or individuals caught employing illegal workers will be fined up to $23,000. The new regulation, which took effect on April 20, 2006, will be directed at those who knowingly hire illegal workers. The CLA also announced that it will begin inspecting businesses that employ large numbers of female workers to ensure the workers are not being mistreated and to verify that the businesses have mechanisms in place that allow workers to report sexual harassment or abuse.

Over the reporting period, there were 94 indictments and eight convictions for sex trafficking crimes under Sections 231, 296, and 296-1 of Taiwan’s criminal code; in contrast, there was only one reported prosecution for forced labor or exploitative labor practices. Although the CLA identified some victims of involuntary servitude, there were no cases referred for investigation or prosecution by law enforcement or judicial authorities. Punishments for employers or labor agencies found guilty of abuses, including forced labor, were administrative and light, most involving fines. The government has procedures for monitoring companies that employ foreign workers; however, none have been held criminally responsible for any potential trafficking-related violations. Taiwan legislative officials have drafted and are attempting to pass anti-trafficking legislation. Efforts are also underway to tighten immigration procedures and interviewing techniques in detention centers.

Protection

The Taiwan authorities provided inadequate protection for many victims of trafficking on the island over the last year, though they made efforts to improve levels of victim support in some areas. Most significant were efforts to identify and treat with care victims of sex trafficking found among the thousands of P.R.C. girls and women arrested for involvement in prostitution or immigration violations. As of April 3, 2006, there were 15 P.R.C. female trafficking victims at detention center facilities. Care for the estimated larger number of foreign victims of labor trafficking, domestic servitude, or sex trafficking among Southeast Asian contract laborers and imported “brides” remained uneven. Taiwan authorities continue to punish victims of trafficking for unlawful acts committed as a direct result of their being trafficked. Taiwan authorities fail to offer P.R.C. and Southeast Asian trafficking victims legal alternatives to their removal to countries in which they face hardship or retribution. Taiwan authorities operate two detention centers that are used to detain undocumented P.R.C. females prior to their forced repatriation, which contain separate, more comfortable facilities for the hundreds of P.R.C. females identified as trafficking victims. It is not clear if these identified trafficking victims are encouraged to assist in the prosecution of their traffickers. Victim protection varied widely among the different localities on the island. While Taiwan authorities provide substantial funding to the Foundation of Women’s Rights Promotion, which in turn funds local NGOs to which it also refers victims �X primarily Vietnamese brides �X there are no centrally funded anti-trafficking shelters on the island. Taiwan authorities have undertaken modest efforts to ensure that brides in Taiwan understand their rights, and also run a hotline for reporting abuse. However, critics claim that the hotline is rarely used and that most potential victims are not aware of its existence. Taiwan also made stronger attempts to interview foreign spouses upon entering Taiwan, as demonstrated by the increase in the identification of fraudulent marriages (30-35 percent were rejected in 2005).

In contrast, care and assistance to Southeast Asian contract workers who have become victims of involuntary servitude is minimal. Taiwan authorities made significant efforts to better regulate the foreign labor sector, but this was focused on minor labor abuses rather than on more serious allegations of involuntary servitude. In 2005, the CLA established 24 offices around the island to provide counseling and other services to abused foreign workers. These centers, however, do not provide overnight shelter for victims; the only shelters available for victims of labor exploitation or involuntary servitude are NGO facilities. In 2004, the CLA established legal aid offices, a hotline, and a booth in the airport aimed to provide information to incoming foreign workers. The CLA reported that it is administering a program that will allow abused foreign workers to be reassigned to another employer or be returned to their country of origin. It also plans to increase the number of labor inspectors. NGOs question whether the CLA will follow through with plans, and many foreign workers remain unaware of the hotline, pamphlets, or shelters.

Prevention

Taiwan authorities’ public statements about the dangers of the sex trafficking problem demonstrate the seriousness with which Taiwan evaluates the problem. There is also a growing public awareness and media coverage of the huge forced labor problem found in Taiwan’s relatively unregulated inflow of low-skilled foreign contract laborers. Taiwan has conducted prevention campaigns aimed at foreign workers, including brochures laying out the laws in Taiwan and running radio public service announcements. Taiwan authorities, who participate in anti-trafficking training, also provide funding to international organizations for anti-trafficking outreach, largely for the purpose of counseling girls who may be sexually exploited or trafficked.

Related Link

The complete report of the Trafficking in Persons Report - 2006 Report is available at
state.gov/g/tip/rls/tiprpt/2006/
[/quote]
ait.org.tw/en/news/officialt … 1&GROUP=BG

Seems the US has got its facts wrong again and has now retracted the listing for Taiwan. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Facts wrong indeed.
The US State Department has removed Taiwan from the public listing for the Tier 2 Watch List
but AIT insists there has been no change and continues to state that Taiwan is on the Tier 2 Watch list for Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation of Women and Children.

ait.org.tw/en/news/officialt … 1&GROUP=BG
May be a story in this yet.

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]Facts wrong indeed. .[/quote]

Yep blatantly wrong. As for the AIT’s opinion, who gives a rats arse? :raspberry: :smiley: :smiley:

The article on the AIT website is from back in June. The listing was withdrawn more recently than that, so AIT is only guilty of not removing outdated articles from their website.