US student loan crisis

Then tuition needs to be consistent to in state tuition at public universities.

In the year 2000, University of Texas charged 3000 per semester for a 12 credit hour semester.

They now charge anywhere from 4500 to 5500 per semester, for any semester with course loads of 12 hours or over (they are capped at 12 hours meaning if you took 18 hours you’d graduate faster and save money). This is in state tuition.

University of Texas is a public institution, meaning they can’t just raise their tuition at will. Texas Legislature decides that.

Private universities should only be allowed to have tuition at 200% of in state tuition of state universities, or at out of state tuition (this is to reflect the fact that private universities are not subsidized by the government).

It’s clear free market can’t regulate tuition price so perhaps the government needs to step in. Especially that the government is paying for these loans.

I got paid to go to Uni, about 600usd a month. Going and having a huge debt at the end wouldn’t have appealed

Some are lucky enough to have parents who will pay. Most Asian families fall into this category. The baby boomers practically had university handed to them with a bow on it. They could work a summer job and have enough to pay tuition for the year, as tuition wasn’t outrageous back then.

Oh, I absolutely agree that was a myth; it was just what was used to sell it at the time.

1 Like

The government stepping in caused the problem. In 1965 the government decided to guarantee student loans. In 1978 the government made student loan debt not dischargeable in bankruptcy. When the loans are government backed and not dischargeable, tuition obviously rises…in this case 8 times faster than wages since the 80s. The answer to a problem created by the government is not more government. If the legal protections for student loans were removed and the government stop guaranteeing them, loans would be allocated based on risk not government policy. If schools had to loan their students money, they might be more judicious in how they did so and, as such, how much they charge for tuition.

1 Like

But then if the goal is to get more people into college, then the government would have to set a price ceiling for universities.

But then that could lead to some other unintended consequences.

That is not my goal, nor should it be society’s goal.

Prices would lower if the government stopped backing student loans and stopped offering legal protection for the discharge of student debt.

We are already dealing with the unintended consequences of government intervention into tuition pricing, namely more expensive college. There would certainly be others by increasing the intervention. Let’s start with undoing what we know is causing the unintended consequences and then deciding what makes sense based on the data.

1 Like

College is pretty cheap in Taiwan though. I think for public universities it’s around 20,000nt max, and for private it may be around 40k, per semester of course.

Even at 40k someone could work a 30,000nt a month job and probably pay for it (but they might have to live very frugally) with the help of limited loans, so there’s no need to take out a loan that no one can afford to pay back.

This has been another edition of “American says there’s nothing to be done in only country that has this problem.”

3 Likes

You do realize though, that in many European countries they offer free or vastly reduced tuition (I mean something like 500 euros per semester), they are offered to international students as well. Meaning any Taiwanese could apply to some university in Germany, and only needs to come up with enough money to live in Germany for a year. If they are accepted, their only significant cost will be living in Germany. (I am using Germany as an example, I am sure other EU countries have similar arrangement)

The hard part is getting accepted though. They don’t just mass accept everyone to study underwater basket weaving. And you can’t change major whenever you want like you can in America (where in many cases it’s just signing some papers at your academic advisor).

However they do let you look for a job in that country once you graduated and turn it into a work visa. Probably much easier than try to get a work visa by itself. Makes sense considering that you went to school on that country’s dime, you should be working there and paying taxes.

The way of the future is learn online. Learn online in A rural area Or small town , take classes at a community college then uni. I took STEM community college classes in East Los Angeles, all Asians, and the teachers were excellent. I paid 50$/credit hour. The best trick is to do online and community college near a great uni. If you take classes at Bunker Hill community college bear MIT and Harvard, your teacher will be an ivy grad and some of your classmates will go to Harvard or MIT. You can also buy coffee at the Starbucks behind Harvard co-op and find out your barista is a Harvard grad in liberal arts. :slight_smile: If you want to be in theater, LA community college Next to Paramount and all the other studios is better the same class at Dartmouth. Universities are a Bit of a scam; nobody needs the climbing wall, swimming pool, or sports team. I took community college classes at Stem subjects in Berkeley community college. The informal name of the school is People’s Republic of Berkeley. Practicing Chinese is easy there. You can feel like you are in China, including receiving discrimination, Them Cursing you in Chinese, Chinese street vendors who will try to cheat you in your own country. The cost of college has doubled in the last 40 years and universities raise tuition based on an 18 year old’s gullibility and ability to secure financing … not the cost of providing an education.

So my question is, how are you going to learn machining online?

Or how are you going to learn chemistry, medicine, etc. online?

Are you going to have your own lab, machines, equipment that costs more than your house (not to mention the building it’s in, the electricity, consumable, etc.)?

Sure you could learn math or computer science online, but not science.

That’s true. In Italy you can’t just take whatever degree you want and there are limited spots for them.

So what if you want to learn how to make real Italian pizza?

1 Like

You go apprentice at a pizza shop. Apprenticeship is still a real path and respected. High schools encourages it and allows you do that as part of your education instead of classes.

It is in most countries, but for some reason in America they want to funnel everyone into college.

Well, factually, one of the main reason tuition has risen so much is the massive influx of foreign students who pay through the nose. I agree with Mithrandir. Make the loans go through the schools themselves, putting them on the hook and prices will plummet.

3 Likes

machine learning? EDX, Coursera. I watch videos or listen while exercising. My first online course was a circuits class from MIT. I never touched a circuit, it’s true. But it cost me nothing and I passed. Next was an MIT physics course. I didn’t say it’s easy or perfect. But the savings in time and money frees up time And money to advance oneself. With a solutions manual From Chegg, you can work thru every single problem in a scientific book.

Really, try and machine a part on a VMC, knowing all the feed and speed, setting the Z axis right, setting the tool offset right, watching feed and speed for all of those tools, finding the G54, 55, 56 origin, making sure the stock is properly clamped down, etc. etc. and not crash something and destroy the machine?

Then learning how to use MasterCAM and actually generate tool paths that won’t result in destruction…

All without ever seeing the machine or operating it?

Sure…

If you want to buy one…

It’s a bargain though, but it’s used and probably very worn, needing an overhaul. Big part of the price of the machine is support… you don’t get any with used machines.

Have you ever tried to discuss an argument on the merits and not distort an opposing viewpoint? I’ve proposed something to be done to remediate the problem. Try addressing the argument, please.

3 Likes