USA and gun control

You were delighting in AR-15 sales on the internet .

That kid who killed all the other kids used an AR-15.

What it comes down to is that Americans don’t care if a bunch of kids get shot down like rats in a sewer. Not really. Definitely not if it gets in the way of my own firepower and gratification.

1 Like

You cant buy guns off the internet. you have to pick them up from a licensed ffl dealer. They are very strict about that. And the reason ar15s are commonly used in mass shootings are because they are the most common rifle in America. They are not inherently more dangerous than many other rifles. I have them and do you know what I use for military rifle matches? an 8 shot m1 garand made on 1952. its not the rifle. unless you are talking about banning all guns your argument is not valid. You still have a kid out there who wants to kill large numbers of people. Why? he could have used a propane tank bomb a big truck or rat poison to kill people if he wanted to. Why did he chose the rifle.
I think first person shooter games have a lot to do with it.
Reasonable intelligent gun laws, no problem but blatant gun grabbing no. Fix the problem not the correlation.

1 Like

You are attached to the gun and find the correlation. With mass shooting a little disturbing . However it seems to be a go to gun of choice amongst many many mass shooters, including that guy in LAs Vegas. No doubt it is a very powerful weapon. Too powerful. The school in Florida had drills to protect against shooters.
Doesn’t work against this kind of firepower.
If it is the most common rifle then America does have a problem indeed. That it became normalised is pretty bizarre. Would you call a ban on AR15 semi automatic rifles gun grabbing or reasonable gun control ? Even the phrase ‘gun grabbing’ is highly loaded and sounds like something like a politician thought up (it’s a well known political tactic to frame situations in terms of rights being taken away).

A few posts earlier you were loudly declaring how you were going to order a bunch of guns from cheaper than dirt.

You sound like a hypocrite to be honest. Or at least holding very contradictory viewpoints at the same time.

I remember well the few nutters in my school growing up. Bringing in knives and imitation guns, I wouldn’t have felt too great knowing they could get access to guns like that.

Yes, let’s talk about guns and correlations, shall we?

And then we can ask ourselves why the FBI didn’t act to prevent this when they knew about him. Misplaced priorities, perhaps?

1 Like

Yes everybody used to bring their guns to school.
Joker.

Of course not everyone did.

Not everyone used to carry guns on planes either, but it did happen (even in Canada).

Should we turn back the clock on that, Rollo? :ponder:

Part of the problem seems to be a toxic political environment and tragic events like these are used for political leverage. CNN just had the mother of one of the victims on literally screaming at Trump to fix the problem before Don Lemon drives home the point there have been 18 incidents like this since the beginning of the year.

That haven’t been 18 incidents like this , there have been quite a few bullets that came though a window where no one got hurt, and one which involved a BB gun. There were also a couple of suicides, but nothing like this. Besides, screaming at Trump as if he must be blind and directly responsible for not fixing a problem that has long existed in the US is a new “journalistic” low for CNN.

It’s extremely difficult to negotiate anything in good faith when the other side is hell bent on calling you literally Hitler no matter what you do. The left and the MSM claim to want to have a solution to gun violence, perhaps they do. But I think even more than that, they want to use the issue to score political points.

1 Like

So long, Thanks Obama meme. It was nice knowin’ ya! :slight_smile:

Btw Rollo’s article is a fun little read.

Thirty years ago, kids who brought their rifles to the high school shooting range didn’t wonder about evil and cultural decay. They simply lived in a time in America when right and wrong was more starkly defined, where expectations about behavior were clear, and wickedness hadn’t been normalized.

That’s right folks, the new Golden Age of American Moral Certitude & Righteousness is the late eighties! :notworthy:

The 80s are the new 50s. Only with worse music.

Make no mistake. This is who Congress is really protecting.

It is weird when gun ownership has consistently hovered around the 40% mark for half a century. The article Rowland linked isn’t complete nonsense. There’s something more going on in the USA.

Mass shootings, while of course horrendous, are a tiny percentage of total gun related deaths. However, it is weird how they’ve become a trend.

I dunno. Perhaps it’s a combination of gun control laws, a changing moral compass, prescription drugs, and celebrity culture. That would be a tough cookie to crack. Glad my loved ones don’t live there.

prescription drugs = big pharma = legal addiction

When my cousin’s son told me 5 years ago that 1/4 of his kids in school (roughly 2000-2014) were on some form of long-term prescription drug or another, I knew there was a bigger issue going on in schools.

Can thank Bush and his No Child Left Behind policy for schools to arbitrarily say a kid has ADHD, so that the school can still receive funding. Then the kid gets put on medication long-term.

When states passed laws punishing or rewarding schools for high standardized test scores, ADHD diagnoses in those states soon increased. Since ADHD drugs enhance children’s ability to concentrate on even the most mind-numbing of tasks, and hence tend to raise their scores on standardized tests, the financial incentives work to “boost the diagnosis of the disorder, regardless of its biological prevalence.”

I once tutored a kid diagnosed with ADHD. He was on meds. The kid seemed bright enough, but his self esteem was in the toilet. Anyway, he did fine.

I have no way of knowing whether it was the meds working as advertised, or if the diagnosis was bogus. All I know was he seemed pretty damn normal to me.

Or maybe I was a really good tutor.

In case anyone’s interested, Hannity’s modest proposal is to get the FBI or local police to give every school in the country a “free” threat assessment and then install metal detectors and hire military veterans to secure every point of entry. (Not sure if that’s supposed to include windows…)

What’s weird about it, the weapons have become 10x more powerful and there are far more of them. A bolt action rifle is not equivalent to an assault rifle.
There are 8 million AR15s in the publics hands in the US!

‘The semi-automatic weapon is considered a budget version AR-15, selling at half the price but still able to fire off 30 rounds in well under 10 seconds
There were major restrictions and even bans in some states until 2004 on these firearms under the assault weapons ban
Those few AR-15s that were available for purchase prior to 2004 all had a maximum magazine capacity of just 10 rounds
The AR-556 is easy to modify and customize, with state laws allowing some users to have a magazine with a capacity of 50 rounds’

They are also dirt cheap , 600 to 800 USD!

This was in Novemeber , he tried to get into the school.

It’s very difficult to accurately quantify the number of assault weapons in the USA. Most estimates seem to be in the 2.5 to 3.5m range, approx. double the estimated 1.5m in circulation prior to the assault weapon ban.

Numerical quibbles aside, my point was that it’s weird that the frequency of mass shootings would have continued to increase exponentially. I suppose it could be argued that greater access to an assault weapon might encourage someone to give it a try, or that the odds of killing 4+ people is greater. However, it seems clear to me that there are other reasons also at play. Ignoring them and hoping that by banning the 8 million assault weapons supposedly in circulation mass shootings will come down to a not completely insane frequency feels naive to me.