USA and gun control

You’re on very shaky ground here, unless you’ve ever gone up unarmed against a guy with a weapon - even a bat.

But if you have, then that’s another thing.

If you’re faced with an actual shooter, it’s good to have a gun yourself. Agree, or disagree?

In self defense, we are taought not to rush against a knife, as a knife always hurts. The instructor told us guns you could jam the trigger at close range, you could outrun, there are many strategies to take it off someone hands. heck, they eventually have to reload/run out of ammo. But he taught us about guns, not military style, multiple penetrative explosive rounds kind of weapons.

Exactly my point… what are you on about?

Yes, if I was forced into a fight to the death with someone with a gun, I’d want a gun. It would make more sense to me not to be put in that situation in the first place, but common sense isn’t common I’ve discovered.

There’s a rock-paper-scissors aspect to combat weapons. He who starts the fight gets to choose his weapon, but without knowing what weapon the defender will use. The defender knows what he’s up against, and simply needs to think fast. Damn fast. It’s tempting to grab a table knife, but knife against knife is a situation where everybody loses. The table itself would be more useful. Better yet, a chair. But first throw everything at him you can throw, and fast. If he’s really close range, upend the table at him.

(Throwing a knife is harder than it looks.)

But no matter how you slice it, you don’t ever want to be the only guy without a gun. And don’t ever trust these people who want you to be the only guy without a gun. They do not have your best interests at heart.

There can be no gun grabbers without gun grabees. Don’t ever consent to be a gun grabee.

I’m all for taking Sheriff Israel’s gun from him. His badge, too. That’s one point I’ll concede the grabbers.

You haven’t seen Nicaraguans in a knife fight.

Our situation is different. Robbery. Home invasion. Likely in a place where social imbalance and rigid economic structures allow for class strife, hunger, injustice and so on and so forth. In summary, you have a broken social covenant, and hence, a disfuctional society in which safety is not a given. Yet, in spite of all the guns and rifles, no one has come with the “we do not trust teh government, we have to arm ourselves to do a revolution”. We know the US and other powers will seel the heavy guns once the opportunity is open. heavy arms now are carried by cartels, and if you get caught in teh middle, well, 8181.

BTW, on te issue of teh good guys carrying gyuns: please remember one of teh armed terrorists was stopped cold in his tracks by Colombian narcs. The terorists picked the wrong cafe to attack. Good guys hesitate to pull the trigger. Trained killers don’t.
Question is: do you want a society of trained killers? US veterans are already quite messed up with PSTD, and you want them teaching high school?
In the US, the gun ownership is fed by fear: fear of “them” taking our stuff -feeding that Wild West mentality, which strangely, it was the white setlers taking stuff away from brown people at gun point/biological warfare. So I wonder idf thsi fear is fear of karma/retaliation. Which brings to teh question: not many black on white mass murders, right? You have a lot of black on black violence, turf wars, drug feuds. Again, heavy guns. yet cops fire on black people without a blink as they are considered “dangerous”. That si why most prisons are stocked with minorities.

Then we have the otehr argument: revolution. How many times since the Constitution was written, have you had to do a revoklution to chabnge things? The Civil War. So, we may conclude you guys are arming for anotehr Civil War. The minorities managed to have major changes peacefully in teh 60s with the Civil Rights Act. Women rights, labor rights and so forth peacefully. Now you also have a corrupt bank and industrial system running with the piggie bank, the collapsed health systema that puts people in debt with astronomically inflated prices, a through educatiional crisis that makes people believe more in astrologers than science, a rampant drug problem and an economiy in the hands of bitcoin styled bourse speculators. Yet teh war is lining up on racial lines and women rights.

A good guy may hesitate, but a better guy will do what needs to be done.

I was brought up to believe in restraint. Experience has taught me that self restraint isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

You’re on very shaky ground here, even by your standards.

If you had a limo to retreat to if necessary, probably with a bodyguard or two on standby, the face of a well connected billionaire (the guy with the bat recognized him), and not a borderline obese senior citizen’s body (it was decades ago), would you be afraid of some random guy with a bat?

If you wouldn’t, congratulations. Now change every detail* except the face, and you have an apples-and-iphones comparison, basically.

*(Obviously he has more bodyguards now than he did then, but they wouldn’t let him go after an assailant anyway.)

Getting back on topic, in today’s news there was a half hour standoff at an American school… because a teacher fired a gun. :gun: :man_teacher: :doh:

Even granting all that… can you at least admit he’s got more physical courage than a lot of people?

Or are those grapes just too sour?

Seriously. Are you saying you don’t know lots of people who would love to bash Donald Trump with a baseball bat, given a chance?

People who brandish baseball bats may or may not care about consequences. There’s no way to tell but to confront and see what happens.

Wow, something’s sour here.

Donnie has more physical courage than… a lot of people. :unicorn:

Now define a lot. :thinking:

I’m sure there were some even back in 1991, but they were probably just people who actually had met him and/or were owed money by him, not strangers on the street.

And you do realize you’re basing this hagiography on one anonymous witness (plus the Don himself) who contradicted the only named witness, in a case that was never reported to the police, right?

…adding that the bat-wielder ran off just before Trump actually appeared, and that Trump, “just looked around and went back into his limo.”

Not to mention, it was reported by a newspaper that supported Obama and Hillary, so it must be fake news. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Your move.

1 Like

Looks like the Moonies have decided to get their 2 cents in

1 Like

Good ol’ US of A, stick a fork in her, she’s done. This is about as nutty as it gets.

1 Like

Remember when they shot a Japanese guy “because he was tresspassing on the lawn”. Halloween. Not even night. Guy was dancing with his empty arms up and singing where is the party. Such a threat deserved several heavy rounds.

Now imagine a whole church of people who need an AR-15 to defend themselves against “nuts and whackos”. Who can feel safe around them?!

I saw this the other day.

Coincidence? I think not.

The best way to win a fight. Sun Tzu would have applauded.

That is some warped shit right there.

That reminds me of the thread about guns at Arab weddings… I told y’all it also happens in America! (Though to be fair, I was thinking of NYE celebrations.)

You get two unicorns for that. :unicorn: :unicorn:

I love this

“The church, which has a worldwide following, believes the AR-15 symbolizes the “rod of iron” in the book of Revelation”

As my Uncle Joe used to say: “Now I understand it!”

Doesn’t that Korean guys father run one of the biggest Cults in Korea the Unification Church?Sun Myung Moon - Wikipedia

This Unification Church Cult is closely tied to the new owner of “Newsweek”

I hope this is fake news:

Otherwise, it is very Latin American style: keep people poor as long as our own pockets are lined up with dollars. Poor people are eaily manipulated… sigh.