USA and gun control

It looks like another school shooting. It’s great there was an armed guard in the right spot, and great that the student wasn’t carrying a machine gun. One can have more than one of those things at once.

It’s being reported heavily in the “MSM”.

1 Like

So you would have preferred that there were no armed people at the school?.

Remember that “machine guns” are illegal.
Please do not distort the difference between machine guns and semi-automatic guns.

Sorry, but how did you get that idea from my comment?

I thought you made it very clear, previously, that you totally disagree with schools having guns on site. If I am wrong , then accept my apologies. Not an ideal solution, I concur, but better than doing nothing for ages, as will probably happen TG

I don’t believe I’ve ever said that. Correct me if I’m wrong, but no worries if I’m not.

1 Like

The “resources officer” was not a teacher, was he?

I was hoping the stories of teachers firing guns at schools in recent weeks would be bigger news, since they’re incidents that seem to be less common and should be discussed, but I guess they didn’t get enough coverage in any media that we follow. :idunno:

Kids shooting at schools or else accidentally or on purpose are not rare, and sometimes they are toddlers, which should be discussed.

Kids killing kids and adults killing kids to stop kids from killing each other. What has happened to bring things this far from sanity? Things are messed up. There is a greater mental / social sickness that needs to be addressed.

Guns just make it easier to kill. I don’t agree with arming teachers. The resource officer was lucky to be in the right spot at the right time. This could have gone down differently had the right person been in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was good he was there, but the idea of a shoot out, no matter how short it is, is frightening. Bullets flying in two directions in a place heavily populated with innocent kids is frightening. A kid with a bag full of ammo and guns shooting up a school without anything or anyone to stop them is equally frightening.

Arming everyone is a short term band-aid that could result in bad things or good things. How do we identify and fix the root problem?

I am, of course, referring to the assholes who impose “gun free zones” everywhere and then blame us sane ones when the inevitable happens.

You know. Those people.

I’d love to learn more about “those people” and the details of American “gun-free” zones, if I had time. Perhaps you can help me by pointing to some literature written by a sane person who doesn’t make fallacious arguments, if that’s not too much to ask. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If everything is equally frightening to you, you may lack a sense of proportion.

To me, a short shootout is far less frightening than a long one. Shoot the crazy bastard who wants to kill everyone, and shoot him early. That’s a proposition that scarcely frightens me at all.

You’ll find there’s a common thread of mental illness with all of these mass shooters.

They also make it easier to hunt and they can be a big equalizer between a 100lb woman and her would-be 200lb attacker.

Ok.

Seems to defeat your stated position above.

This isn’t an argument. It’s an emotional expression. Sure, it’s all frightening. Reality can be frightening sometimes.

It’s not about “arming everyone.” What’s been suggested is that those teachers who are certified conceal carriers could carry at work if they wanted. It’s been estimated that up to 1/5 teachers are firearms trained ex-military. At best, it would be “arming some” who are most likely already armed away from work. It’s not about having more shootouts, either. Refer back to your first paragraph about mental illness. People who perpetrate mass shootings are psychotic cowards. They look for the soft targets and that means places with large numbers of unarmed people. Allowing staff to conceal carry would have a deterrent effect.

Don’t be manipulated by sensationalism and appeals to emotion. A couple of good vids: https://youtu.be/JvAbophptmM

I wasn’t making an argument. I was stating my opinion.

I don’t think so. They look for targets where they can achieve their psychotic goal of getting revenge on people–the place of work, the school. Often they off themselves. This last one went for an unconcerned stroll about the town. I wouldn’t count on them being motivated by fear. I could make a stronger argument that the presence of guards armed with handguns will inspire them to embark on their insane quest armed with multiple machine guns, which–as luck would have it–are brainlessly easily available to anyone!

1 Like

Both of you are missing the point. You don’t try to reason with loonies. You kill them. Problem solved.

No need to deter the dead.

please stop using the word “machine guns”. Your argument gets debased when you do.

A machine gun is a fully automatic mounted or portable firearm designed to fire bullets in rapid succession from an ammunition belt or magazine, typically at a rate of 300 rounds per minute or higher.

I just want to make it easier to kill them, and harder for them to kill people.

People should discuss how to make it easier to kill armed kids at schools. What a country.

My fb feed again.

ar%2015