USA and gun control

Australia

In 1996, 35 people were killed with illegally-owned guns around the historic site of Port Arthur in Tasmania.

The Australian government reacted by requiring states to ban all semi-automatic and self-loading weapons, and restricted certain other types of handgun.

It also introduced a comprehensive registration and licensing system and made the requirements for owning a gun tougher. A mandatory buyback scheme resulted in at least 600,000 guns being handed over to the authorities.

In the two decades before the law changed, there were 13 mass shootings.

In the more than 20 years since the law changed, there have been two mass shootings where four or more people were killed.

Two people were also killed in a shooting at a university campus in Melbourne, which led to further law changes.

Studies suggest that aside from the victims of the Port Arthur shooting, 69 gun homicides were recorded in 1996 compared with 30 in 2012. There was also a major reduction in firearms suicides with no comparable reduction in suicide by other means.

Trying to compare gun control in in New Zealand, a commonwealth of the UK, and the United States, an independent country, is like comparing apples and oranges.

It might be possible and immediate in New Zealand, but most likely never possible in the US.

New Zealand is moving to ban assault weapons. Why can’t the US?

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s all apples and oranges, plus hysterical screaming for more gun control.

Thanks for that stunning insight Rowland, it’s my thought for the day.

https://youtu.be/Igv-7S4gP-k

I like the cut of his jib.
He looks like an AI generated profile of Bob the Gun Enthusiast…Except his name is Jim.

Edit: this is Bob…sorry Jim :slight_smile:
He’s big into promoting medical cannabis, God hail the almighty dollar when it is about to be legal and you can get $$$ for your campaign :grinning:. Down with…No UP with drugs. Drugs for all the family, super strength please. Drugs and guns for all. :sunglasses:

I find with people who are so stuck on gun control, any discussion on how to avert further violence that doesn’t involve restrictions on guns is automatically shut down.

Who shuts the discussion down? Do the mods flame it?

FWIW

In my experience any discussion outside of the USA about “USA and gun control” is pointless. I would strongly advise you to skip them altogether (unless you visit only to lurk).

It’s among only a handful of topics that ime never sheds light, shedding only volcanic heat instead.

Skip then altogether.
That’s very much 'finger in your ears ’ territory .

NZ bans assault rifles after they are used to killed 50 people in a matter of minutes . As you can see he killed 43 people within 17 minutes max and most within the first 2 minutes. It’s common sense to ban such high powered weapons! We don’t allow people to buy bombs or grenades that would do the same damage.
There’s still going to be a LOT of guns in NZ.

13:40 Shooter enters Al Noor Mosque, livestreaming the attack on Facebook as he opens fire with an automatic weapon, killing 42 people. The shooter remains in the mosque for two minutes. He leaves, shoots at people on the street, retrieves another rifle from his car and re-enters the mosque. After leaving the mosque again, the gunman shoots a woman outside.

13:57 Facebook removes livestream video after police alert the company. It continues circulating on other platforms, with new versions being uploaded as fast as others are removed.

14:10 Police arrive at the Al Noor Mosque responding to reports of gunfire. At the same time, a shooter enters Linwood Islamic Center 6 kilometers (4 miles) away, opening fire and killing seven. One more individual later dies in hospital. Witnesses say that a worshipper managed to disarm the assailant, forcing him to flee.

1 Like

How would an assault rifle ban make an impact? It seems like a useless ban if you think about it. I can fire almost the same amount of rounds with a semi authomatic hand gun compared to a semi automatic rifle barring 2 seconds of delay on a magazine change. Unless the guy trained enough to be picking off people from 150+ meters away with a rifle, don’t see how it changes anything.

If I wanted to do max amount of damage. I would probably conceal 2 hand guns and lots of loaded magazines once I’m inside the mosque packed full of people and empty the gun before anyone knows what’s happening. You can’t really walk around with a rifle without someone spotting you. Even better if I get some extended magazines for the hand guns so I wouldn’t have o carry so many magazines as they’re heavy.

Actually if you wanted to do max amount of damage, you don’t even need to use firearms.

Block exits intentionally and set the place on fire. And it requires no firearms or any hard to get contraband.

Max damage with a gun.

The point is the semi automatic high rate of fire.

I guess assault rifles may be easier to spray bullets around though and the clips could be bigger.

How would he have blocked all the exits so easily ? Also they have things called WINDOWS.
Next you’ll be saying guns weren’t the problem because he could have stabbed 43 people to death in minutes.

I just don’t see why ban semi automatic rifles and not hand guns. Pistoles have extended clips that holds about the same as assault rifles. And the change of magazines is maybe 2-3 seconds anyways. Firing rate is the same basically with any semi automatic. You can probably carry much more ammo for hand guns because hand guns are lighter so more room for ammo. It’s much easier to control a hand gun in close quarters for the average civilian. The only real noteworthy advantage of a rifle would be distance. I feel like either they didn’t think about it, or didn’t care and wanted to gain political points.

Exactly. A good guy with a gun can shoot out the windows and help people escape.

(I suppose there might still be schools in the US where the windows open. That would be bonus. But most schools are not designed with the welfare of inmates in mind.)

Chair…Meet Window.

This is what they are actually banning. The problem was the high rate of fire with relatively large amount of cartridges.
People will still be able to own guns.

What semi-automatic firearms are affected by today’s changes?

Two types of firearms are now defined as MSSAs:

• A semi-automatic firearm capable of being used with a detachable magazine which holds more than five cartridges
  • A semi-automatic shotgun capable of being used with a detachable magazine which holds more than five cartridges

Wow, it’s even worse than I imagined. Basically it’s a ban on any semi automatic weapon.