USA and gun control

A whole lot of people are afraid of something or other more than they’re afraid of guns. It’s only a matter of time before everyone comes to love guns.

I fear the late adopters. They’re buying guns for the wrong reasons. You don’t want to be nearby when they go all Barney Fife.

Worked for Iraq when the U.S. invaded, though from your argument RPGs and IEDs should be legal.

Anarcho-tyranny makes strange bedfellows…

Not Broward County:

Enlist Darwin in the fight.

1 Like

This could get interesting…

Some places are dangerous for decent people, and some places are dangerous for hooligans.

It begins:

Let Darwin sort it out.

Protested the wrong store…

Fatally stigmatized.

The limits of empathy…

not.my.problem.kermit

First they came for the soft targets, and I said serves them right for being soft targets. Then finally they came for me, and… they’ll never try that again.

Jumping the shark:

They’re providing “security” in that Seattle autononomous zone. We’ll see if they do better than the Hell’s Riders did at Altamont. Or the Dem run Seattle PD, for that matter.

I’m wondering if the gun grabbers are doomed, because of the everything else grabbers and the contortions that woke forces them into.

Certainly the narrative that guns are best left to the authorities is dead, dead, dead.

yes, everyone should get one, better yet a whole arsenal.

free guns for everyone, what could possibly go wrong.

A thinning of the violent gene pool that trickles through human evolution?

:thinking: so what you´re saying, if everyone had a gun, only “violent” people would shoot each other?

No.

what are you trying to say?

A great many people would shoot themselves, not all on purpose. You all know what I mean.

Prediction: we have passed peak gun grabbing.

I’m someone that has advocated for increased gun control for a long time. I think there are a ton of initiatives that could be effective and mitigating the affects of our gun culture without running afoul of the second amendment. I have often heard criticisms of my positions based on slippery slope type arguments; arguments that I just laughed aside as alarmist backlash. However, the 2020 democratic primary process revealed to me that the slippery slope is the actual goal of many on the left. As such, I cannot really engage in the same sort of advocacy that I used to, knowing that my short term allies would be the long term authoritarians I would oppose.

I don’t agree with that assertion at all. You said so yourself the alarmism is based on a logical fallacy - slippery slope. You can’t make an argument based on fallacy because you are pre-determining what people will do. If your whole rationale is based on something Beto O’Rourke said then I would ask you to apply the maturity required to have a cogent discussion and not attribute a misconstrued comment to views of millions of Americans.

More people will die…

2. Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide

We analyzed the relationship between homicide and gun availability using data from 26 developed countries from the early 1990s. We found that across developed countries, where guns are more available, there are more homicides. These results often hold even when the United States is excluded.

Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew . Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries. Journal of Trauma . 2000; 49:985-88.

3. Across states, more guns = more homicide

Using a validated proxy for firearm ownership, we analyzed the relationship between firearm availability and homicide across 50 states over a ten-year period (1988-1997).

After controlling for poverty and urbanization, for every age group, people in states with many guns have elevated rates of homicide, particularly firearm homicide.

Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David . Household firearm ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states, 1988-1997. American Journal of Public Health . 2002; 92:1988-1993.

Wrong metaphor. Never mind the slippery slope… the ship has sailed.

Missed the part where they said he was protesting.