USA IRS is impossible to contact - what to do?

Would the Google voice be free even though the number cost?

I’ll have my dad ask around for the military one lol

Thanks for the suggestions!

In Canada the scammers tell people to pay by purchasing gift cards and giving them the card numbers… and it works! :man_facepalming:

Think if you youtube IRS scam video, you will notice that the “IRS” caller always have thick accent. Apu of Kwik-e-Mart if you will.
I think most government officials in the IRS likely either white or African American, or at very least second/third generation American without any such accent.
So if Apu answer the phone, you know you’ll likely being scammed.

Yes, it would be a free call using Google Voice if your account is registered in the US and you’re calling from a US Google Voice number. I’m actually not sure if Google voice is even available outside the US to open accounts anymore. You can still use it outside the US of course if you already have an account.

I did in use Google Voice to call the IRS so waiting on hold wasn’t a huge issue once I got through. I also use it quite regularly to keep in touch with family and friends in the US since all they need to do is call or text my US Google Voice number which then goes to the app on my phone which works just like the default phone or message app, but localized to the Google Voice app. It works extremely well.

A little while back this service was under the Google Hangouts name with its own app too, Google Voice didn’t have this functionality. I guess Google wanted to consolidate their offering and out that functionality into Voice. Thing was in order to use it like before you needed to link a real US based phone number to the account as proof that the user was based in the US or something along those lines. I was able to use a friends phone number to link. After that and everything worked fine I then was able to unlink the number and everything still worked fine. Not sure why Google did that new requirement, but luckily it’s not too hard to deal with.

If it’s true that the real IRS never phones clients, it makes no difference what accent the caller has.

@Bree can you confirm what @Taiwan_Luthiers said?

IRS does not call or email. However, they have recently hired third-party collections agents. They will mail a letter ahead of time letting you know they have done so and the name of the “provider”. This doesn’t help if your address of record is wrong. This third-party won’t claim to be IRS though.

1 Like

Ya ya, Canadians are naive…we get it and it is very true. But this thread is about the US government fining, siezing and perhaps even jailing you for not getting in touch with them because they dont allow you to get in touch with them. Clearly not as dumb as us canucks.

Pretty sure they would have to audit you before they can jail you. But fining is another thing as fines are not considered a punishment… Funny how that works.

My brother did not pay the IRS for a few years…then one day his bank account was emptied. They have the means to get you.

1 Like

Is there some way to log on and see your tax related information?

Or at least, is there some way to log on and check your mailing address?

Ya, it is a process, but they still do it. just cause they audit you (which is them just fuckin you even more) doesnt mean you cant go to jail for not paying sonething they may have just made up and not allowed you to (reasonably) contest. Thats what people are saying. It may berare, but fines/fees/penalties are not rare at all. Its stealing if anyone else were to do it the same way. I work then sleep. wake up and work. Try to squeeze in a few bites of food and the odd poop (which is usually when i post here haha). On fact im having a dump right now with a bottle of water and supao. Sitting on the phone on hold for hours upon hours just to be disconnected is absurd. This is why, even though i have it far better than US citizens, generally speaking, i record all conversations with financials and government in the off chance it ends up as a problem. Its just a matter of storage space and now its cheap. The publc can play this game just like the government does.

Its absurd how the US acts in these arenas, and everyone has the absolute justifiable right to fight them on it in these circumstances. They need to allow discourse before literally :crazy_face:ing you into bankruptcy.

Everyone just thinks the US government has to go through all sorts of process to jail someone but the reality is, the rules are so relaxed and the burden of proof so low, that they can pretty much make stuff up to jail people.

You know that grand jury indictments in the US is pretty much the prosecutor’s playground? Defense attorneys are not even allowed in. And the court will pretty much take a prosecutor’s word for granted. They might as well as do it like Taiwan where prosecutors can just decide whether or not to indict. Jury trials in the US mean nothing because most stuff don’t go to trial and the laws are written in such a way that the burden of proof on the defendant is much higher than the prosecution.

So, you agree?

In my opinion, fines are absolutely a punishment…the problem is fines can turn into even more serious punishments if unpaid, and in some under developed countires they dont .let people contact customer service type people to ask about their faulty fines. this then turns into more fines, even lawsuites and asset theft and in extreme cases jail time. Essentially, gangster level corruption. the USA is turrning more and more into said under developed country and the people seem to think so long as the military is strong and the big companies like apple, microsoft, tesla or whatever all have their offices in the US its all first class harmony. Like watching your best friend turn into a junky with fewer and fewer friends willing to listen to their BS.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Government gangsterism in general

Fines are just relatively dumb since it’s overly impactful to the poor, and pennies of worthlessness to the rich.

I saw a funny sign in Taiwan that said jaywalking this super busy intersection would result in a 200ntd fine. Pretty hilarious, less than 10 USD. If I drink water on an MRT, though, it’s like 50k.

Even with court, its about attorney fees. Whoever pays more usually wins. Such a strange hierarchy.

The best chance is to use a VPN and sign into Skype. Call using Skype and all 1800 numbers are free. If you try from taiwanese Skype it’ll charge you

I literally don’t like that image. :cactus:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/in-finland-speeding-tickets-are-linked-to-your-income

In 2002, Anssi Vanjoki, a former Nokia director, was ordered to pay a fine of 116,000 euros ($103,600) after being caught driving 75km/h in a 50km/h zone on his motorbike.

Just sayin’.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd:

Set up your account at irs.gov